Shot my first IDPA match Saturday

This is a discussion on Shot my first IDPA match Saturday within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shot my first IDPA(clinic) Saturday and what a blast! It was 3 stages with a minimum of 50 rounds fired. We did a little bit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Shot my first IDPA match Saturday

Shot my first IDPA match Saturday

Shot my first IDPA(clinic) Saturday and what a blast! It was 3 stages with a minimum of 50 rounds fired. We did a little bit of everything, strong hand, shoot from retention, shoot while moving forwards, moving backwards, poppers and swingers. My best string was drawing and shooting from retention, 2 rounds 2.79 seconds 0 points down. I placed 5th overall. I know 5th is not much when you are all beginners. lol . My biggest challenge was my stupid finger release Blackhawk holster, it might be ok in some cases but not if you need to get your gun out in a hurry.

I would have to say shooting IDPA is definitely going to help you understand what you may have to do in real life. I would have never thought that a timer and buzzer could add so much stress to shooting.

JD, Ram Rod and hogdoc357 like this.
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    AMEN!!!
    I shot my first match last month, May 19
    Oh man! I had a blast. They should have named it crack instead of IDPA...cause I'm hooked. I used my M&P compact 9mm.
    Being the "new kid" I knew everyone would be watching me like a bug in a jar, mainly to see if I was safe to be around.
    So I concentrated mainly on safety and on the accuracy of my shots rather than the time.

Almost everyone there was very helpful, great bunch of friendly guys.
    I've read alot online, where many say "it is not training", but if you're like most of us and don't have private land to shoot on, and you are stuck at public ranges. You can't draw from cover and shoot, and you can't move and shoot.
    From that aspect, it is training, because it gives you practice at things you can't normally do.

I'll be going back on Saturday the 16th for this months match...like I said I'm hooked. It is without a doubt the most fun kind of shooting I've found!!!

Actually, A DC member here, "DrBob" hooked me up with the info and contacts to get me started...a big thumbs up and thanks to him for his help.
    JD likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good for you gaining the experience! Priceless in your words.....right? Exactly. Have fun by all means. Newbies don't last long in the sport. That's because by the second go round you're seasoned. Nothing like competitive shooting IMO. Use your experience wisely. Many don't get the chance or take it when available.
    Stubborn and Fish_4_Fun like this.

Greetings from another match shooter. Good to see new people getting interested in IDPA.

Thanks for the thread. IDPA is something I've been wanting to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I do shot on my own property and have been shooting 100 rounds a week for a couple weeks. Now that I reload and cast my own bullets it makes it so I can shoot alot more for the same price. I feel that IDPA is way better then shooting at home, like I said that buzzer makes your mind go crazy. Another thing that was cool was I came home with 250 rounds extra of 45 brass, that more then paid for the entry fees.
    Proud IDPA Member

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    Thanks for the thread. IDPA is something I've been wanting to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stop wanting and start doing. You will love it.
    RayBar likes this.
    Proud IDPA Member

I enjoy it. This next Saturday we have an IDPA combo shoot. At 1:30 P.M. we have our IDPA qualifier for our October regional match. Then when it gets dark, we'll have a night IDPA shoot. Never done that and should be interesting.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I enjoy it. This next Saturday we have an IDPA combo shoot. At 1:30 P.M. we have our IDPA qualifier for our October regional match. Then when it gets dark, we'll have a night IDPA shoot. Never done that and should be interesting.
    That night shoot sounds awesome...done with a flashlight I assume...errr...ahhh...I mean a "tactical" light?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well-well....looky here! We got another one hooked on IDPA!

IDPA will provide you with more quality practice than you could ever imagine from a booth at an indoor range. The fellowship you get with other like minded individuals is priceless, too.
    Stubborn, BamaT and RayBar like this.

Congratulations! Catching, isn't it?

My local range runs a USPSA-based steel plate match every Tuesday (Rio Salado, "Tuesday Night Steel" Tuesday Night Steel). There are folks with race guns but I'd guess 50% shoot "streetable" guns. The rules are looser than IDPA (e.g., no loss of points for not shooting from cover), but hey - it's a GAME and we get to practice shooting under pressure, from retention, from barricades, on the move, and most stages require reloads (especially for us Single Stack guys...). Sometimes I get frustrated at my lack of advancement, but I shoot full-power reloads and my kit isn't "gaming" gear. I still come home after a match with a smile on my face and determined to work on whatever held me back on any given night. There's no doubt in my mind that the game has advanced my shooting skills well beyond what I could manage by punching paper at a 'static' range.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    IDPA is a great way to get some semi stressful experience and be around fellow shooters.

Always shoot with the gun and gear that you carry daily if allowed. Don't worry about whether you win or lose this is the time to work on your technique and to learn from others. I am guessing you are referring to a Serpa type Blackhawk holster. If you are having problems with hitting the release, SLOW DOWN.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is fine, accuracy if final. Above all enjoy yourself.
    Stubborn likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    IDPA is a great way to get some semi stressful experience and be around fellow shooters.

Always shoot with the gun and gear that you carry daily if allowed. Don't worry about whether you win or lose this is the time to work on your technique and to learn from others. I am guessing you are referring to a Serpa type Blackhawk holster. If you are having problems with hitting the release, SLOW DOWN.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is fine, accuracy if final. Above all enjoy yourself.

I agree to a certain point. I currently carry in a CrossBread super tuck and don't care to much for the setup.I find that when drawing fast my grip is not very good, I can get off the first round fine but find the second shot is hard to be accurate without re-adjusting my grip. For the match I was using a Serpa Blackhawk, already purchased a holster with no finger release for comp. I was thinking of switching to a pancake OWB for every day carry. My feeling is that if I carry in the same location for CCW and Comp it's only a small adjustment to make regardless of the holster. Now correct me if I'm wrong.

My current carry gun is the Ruger P345. I shot my M&P 45 at IDPA. When I got my M&P it was having feed problems, had to polish the feed ramp and clean up the extractor a little. Once I can put 500 rounds through the M&P without any issues it will become my EDC.

Maybe I should just start to carry a ladies gun(9mm) and my grip problem would go away.JK

Thanks,
    Chris
    Proud IDPA Member

^^^I carried mine in a leather OWB pancake at the first match...worked fine, except a little more difficult to re-holster.
    I'm looking at picking up a Safariland or Fobus before the next match.
    In fact if anyone here has any experience with either of these holsters...I'm listening

Safariland 6378 ALS Concealment Holster | Streichers Police Equipment

Fobus Evolution E2 Holster

I'm kind of leaning toward the Safariland because it includes both paddle and belt slide, where the Fobus is only paddle.
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Skip the Fobus... fit is hit-or-miss. Take a look at the Blade Tech offerings, and don't overlook their "competition" series - still very streetable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links