Aussie Swim Team Over reaction?

This is a discussion on Aussie Swim Team Over reaction? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am so thankful I live in the USA. Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Aussie Swim Team Over reaction?

Aussie Swim Team Over reaction?

I am so thankful I live in the USA.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

2. Remove Ads

I would say the aussies need to get over themselves, but the kids have a pretty dumb track record. Don't think that the photo is an issue, but really... what did they think they were getting into bringing on a couple of guys who have a history of beating people up and lying to police?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I would say the aussies need to get over themselves, but the kids have a pretty dumb track record. Don't think that the photo is an issue, but really... what did they think they were getting into bringing on a couple of guys who have a history of beating people up and lying to police?
    Yup - 'sounds like these two are proven idiots, and that has nothing to do with the photo.

Having worked with Aussies, I must say that I generally like the heck out of most. Their culture is one of work-hard, play-hard & laugh a lot. But gun-fear is one aspect of their culture that befuddles me. It's like being afraid of steak knives...
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    These guys were just hamming it up, doing something they are forbidden to do in their homeland of Commi-Australia.
    It would be the same if they were to go to Amsterdam, and pay a call girl, (which is totally legal).
    What is the harm if they are doing nothing wrong, in the country they are presently in?

These idiotic anti-gunners and reporters would have raked these guys over the coals if they had toured the CRKT{Columbia River Knife & Tool} factory, and were having their picture taken holding knives that may be forbidden in the Crap-hole down under.
    I got no use for Australia, and you couldn't GIVE me a free, all inclusive trip to go there.

Here are the results of the "POLL" on the article page.
    PollResults: Gun pictureThanks for voting!
    Should D'Arcy and Monk be disciplined over the photo?
    Yes, it's disgraceful
    22.36%
    (1879 votes)
    No, it's a bit of fun
    77.64%
    (6525 votes) Total votes: 8404
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I voted no in the poll. They seem to be "normal aussie's"
    typical anti gun mentality from a dead tree writer

Non thinking idiots are the same world wide....no matter what country they come from. Not because of the photo, but because of the past incidents. I agree. For a group of people who consider themselves rough, tough, and hard chargers, their fear of weapons is confusing.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    That newspaper would be horrified if they knew how many foreign tourists in America go to gun shops and firing ranges in order to handle and shoot firearms, a behavior prohibited in their home countries.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well, I for one learned a few things from that article. 1- Somehow a gun shop in California got it's hands on a collectible shotgun used in a mass murder in Australia. Fascinating. 2- Cho used a 1911 and a revolver at Virginia Tech. And undoubtedly both of them are fully automatic. Who knew?

Pay attention kids, you never know what you'll learn next.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It's a good thing there wasn't an axe in the picture or it surely would have been "similar to the one used by Matthew Milat, nephew of notorious mass murderer Ivan Milat, to murder his friend".

...But then, the sub-head under the Herald Sun logo really says it all.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Worked with a lot of Euro military stationed in US. Some of the biggest gun afficianados I've known... PITA for them to go through the red tape to get permission as non-citizens to buy, but they did it... and then had to sell most if not all of their stash when they went home.

I remember the big Aussie Gun Grab in the 90s. Wished I could've bought some of them, but the sale and export restrictions in the law were written specifically to make that nearly impossible. I believe they all got crushed. In addition to all the privately-owned firearms they grabbed, they also killed a bunch of Garands and SLRs (both semi-autos and selective fire)... :(

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    It's a good thing there wasn't an axe in the picture or it surely would have been "similar to the one used by Matthew Milat, nephew of notorious mass murderer Ivan Milat, to murder his friend".
    And heavens, should they have been pictured with a pack of dingoes in the background...
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Yeah, they're a pair of Aussie 'bad boyz' having fun doing something they'll never get to do back home. I like the photo myself....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

This is nothing more than the "Forbidden Fruit" syndrome.

Whatever it is that one is strictly forbidden at home to partake, will be the very first thing one will gravitate to when they are away from home.

Interesting that this is termed as "a new low" for these boys when you compare it to the list of their past aggressions to date. Far worse than their assaults, rumbles, false police reports, bankruptcy, etc. They have now really hit rock bottom.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

The National Center for Policy Analysis determined the following regarding Australia's 1996 gun ban.

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
    Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
    Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
    During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
    Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
    Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
    At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
    Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

While this doesn't prove that more guns would impact crime rates, it does prove that gun control is a flawed policy. Furthermore, this highlights the most important point: gun banners promote failed policy regardless of the consequences to the people who must live with them, says the Examiner.

Source: Howard Nemerov, "Australia experiencing more violent crime despite gun ban," D.C. Examiner, April 8, 2009.
    lyz_grace and Spirit51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I need to get me one of those semi-auto revolvers the article described.

"It's a disgrace to the Olympic swimming team,"

I wonder if the olympic shooting team felt it was a discrace? It was hard to tell for sure because of picture quality, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have their fingers on the triggers. What is the big deal, it's a picture of two guys holding guns????? How is that inapropriate?????

"Swimming Australia said it did not condone the posting of inappropriate content on Facebook"
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links