Llama .45 IX-A - Keep it or sell it

This is a discussion on Llama .45 IX-A - Keep it or sell it within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have early 90's Llama .45 (1911 clone). I bought it new in college for like $225. It works fine with the proper magazines, and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: Llama .45 IX-A - Keep it or sell it

Llama .45 IX-A - Keep it or sell it

I have early 90's Llama .45 (1911 clone). I bought it new in college for like $225. It works fine with the proper magazines, and it shoots pretty tight groups. I have done some basic improvements to it but I am thinking of getting something new. I would call it fair shape with some holster wear. So the question is would you keep it as a "truck gun" or try and sell it. I don't even know if it is worth anything in trade. Anyone have an idea what it is worth?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It's not like you'll get much money for it. If you know it shoots and you trust it, you're way ahead of the game. It sounds like a 'keeper'.

I'm hoping you keep it cable-locked, if it's in the truck.

Welcome to the forum, btw.
    oneshot likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I think you should keep it. I don't think you could replace it for what you originally paid for it.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

WHEC724 - Thanks for the welcome. This is one of the better forums I have read through. No worries on the truck - thinking about a lock box bolted down.

There are two Llama IX models on gunsamerica.com right now for sale. $475 and $525 used. Sometimes you might think your firearms are not worth much now according to what you paid for them at the time. The market is kinda weird that way.....folks thought of these as the typical pawn shop gun back in the day.....now that you seldom see these under glass their status has changed. I am thinking that the Llama IX pistols were not true copies or clones of the 1911A1 since I don't think standard Colt 1911A1 parts will fit or at least not 100% for the entire pistol. If it works well for you, then I say keep it. I'm sure you could find parts somewhere if the need ever arises. If you knew you could get at least $400 from selling it......would you keep it? LOL! Truck gun?

Sponsor
    I'd keep it. You probably won't get anything of similar quality for the money.

I've had a commander sized Llama .45 for 25 years. After replacing the sear that the original owner had boogered up in a "Trigger Job", the only problem it has had is the plastic plunger tube is cracked. It still works and is only an issue when field stripping. The take down detent can come out if I'm not careful.(parts are available at Numrich)
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I'd hang onto it if it was me... It's worth more than anyone will offer you for it and since you've done some alterations and the pistol runs good, it sounds like a keeper to me...+1 on using it as a truck gun.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Sponsor
    Ram Rod,

Some parts are interchangeable but the majority are not. At one time I could have told you which were or not. Not so much anymore Like I said above, Numrich has most of the Llama parts available at decent prices.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's not like you'll get much money for it. If you know it shoots and you trust it, you're way ahead of the game. It sounds like a 'keeper'.

I'm hoping you keep it cable-locked, if it's in the truck.

Welcome to the forum, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I think you should keep it. I don't think you could replace it for what you originally paid for it.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Keep it as a HD, truck, going up to the Northwoods gun.
    If you trust it, and its a square shooter(not many were) Keep it.
    Look for something smaller like a G19, an M&P compact,or a G26, which you can get the FS mag for the M&P, and the longer mags for the G19, G26 for greater capacity while in the home or the range.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I had a Llama 1911 45 ACP clone back in the 1970s. It was reliable with hardball but the feed was not smooth enough for hollow points. Also, standard 1911 magazines had to be modified to work. Is was very functional and I wish I has kept it. I sold it to get a Ruger Speed-Six 357 Magnum, which I still have.

I think you should hold onto the Llama. It will be useful without the need to worry about its value.

Just one thing, my Llama was not drop safe. That is, there was no firing pin block. I do not know if yours is drop safe or not.

Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    I have early 90's Llama .45 (1911 clone). I bought it new in college for like $225. It works fine with the proper magazines, and it shoots pretty tight groups. I have done some basic improvements to it but I am thinking of getting something new. I would call it fair shape with some holster wear. So the question is would you keep it as a "truck gun" or try and sell it. I don't even know if it is worth anything in trade. Anyone have an idea what it is worth?
    hi id like to buy your lama.can you send me a email pic of it.
    my email is. tjohnston1965@yahoo.com
    phone me at 1-606-297-2481. ill pay for the shiping to my gun store here,
    and give you the 225.oo for it if your interrested
    thanks tom in ky

I have 2, Llama's both are Llama IX-C 45, love them both, they shoot just as well as the others. I don't think I could part with either. the nice thing is I have replacement parts for them.
    Just haven't had to change any of the parts. also have 16, 13 rd. mags for them also.
    David

Going by your original post, I would say keep it.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'd keep it if I were in your shoes -- in simple economic terms, it's a sunk cost that you're no longer feeling, and it's an asset in your hands. Keep it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Sounds Like you have owned for a while.

I'm afraid if you trade it off you will always regret it.

Links