Buying a gun online-vigin here

This is a discussion on Buying a gun online-vigin here within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Be gentle... So I've never bought a firearm online, giving it serious thought. I am very nervous to do it concerns of getting raked over ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By Mattmann
  • 1 Post By ramitupurs84
  • 1 Post By craze

Thread: Buying a gun online-vigin here

Be gentle...

So I've never bought a firearm online, giving it serious thought. I am very nervous to do it concerns of getting raked over the coals with transfer fees, shipping etc. I am having a hard time finding anything of interest locally: P938, Solo..etc. I know they are both extremely new, but so is that CPL in my wallet. I have a carry gun, but you get my drift. What are some good sites, I only know of gunbroker.

Commence discussion.

The Glock store!

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Prices include delivery fee. Shop around for a store that does FFL transfers in your area as prices vary quite a bit. I was paying $50 per transfer.....now $25.
    Buds has layaway, pay by credit card, pay by check (ACH).

Just go set up an account and follow the yellow brick road. Too simple, which is why I have so little money these days.
    darbo likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I've purchased several and all have been good experiences. Pick a reputable dealer (e.g., Buds, Top Gun Supply, and Impact Guns) or if you go through GunBroker or GunsAmerica be sure to check out the seller. You probably will avoid paying taxes by buying online, but you usually will pay shipping (probably around $25) and FFL transfer on your end (those fees can vary widely, but it costs me about another $25).
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Buds is excellent. Good prices, great selection, and fast shipping. Call your local gun stores within 20 miles and find out which ones have the lowest transfer fees. A good price should be around $25. Some are as high as $75 which is a big rip off.

VIP Member
    Here is a link to a thread about finding an FFL.

How to find a local FFL

Once you get a list of local FFLs then you call a few and see how they act/treat you on the phone. Then you pick one and go from there. They will need to send a digital or faxed copy of their FFL to the seller when you order. Most full time FFLs have already dealt with places like Bud's or CDNN so there is a good chance they already have one on file.

About $20 to $25 is the going rate.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Buds is excellent. Good prices, great selection, and fast shipping. Call your local gun stores within 20 miles and find out which ones have the lowest transfer fees. A good price should be around $25. Some are as high as $75 which is a big rip off.
    I have had good and bad experiences with local gun shops doing the transfer. Some shops want to bust your balls for not ordering from them. I have also had shops make me wait days to pick up my gun in an effort to make me think buying from them is better.

I have had much better luck with small one man operations doing the transfer. They know where their bread is buttered and never goof around. Just pick a guy that's been around a while and you'll do fine.

ETA:Shipping is usually about what you'd pay in taxes so it's a wash.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I bought two from "the florida gun exchange",on two different occasions,fast shipping & nice people to deal with.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I purchased a gun from Buds and had a great experience. For the record I used the layaway program, very nice for tight budgets. From the list of local FFL transfer Bud's provided I picked the one with the lowest transfer fee and called them prior to transferring the gun. After paying off the gun, I got email info of shipping, the local FFL called when the pistol arrived, I paid them and pickup up the pistol (compact Beretta PX). Great experience for me.

I bought off line a couple times. The last gun I got offline was a m&p9c which I love oh so much! I bought from jet guns.com and it was pleasant. They do layaway as well and are one of the only ones I know who after 3 months just charge $25 each one instead of canceling and keeping the money. I found a small mom and pops style pawn shop that transfers for $25 and are good to deal with. Just follow everyone's advice on here about sticking to a reputable site and you will be fine. I always like calling and placing orders via phone though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Well that's some pretty good info. Dang...your making this too easy. You should of told me it was a horrible experience haha

The scary part is seeing the bank account go down after you buy too many! Lol. Self control

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    zonker1986 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramitupurs84 View Post
    Well that's some pretty good info. Dang...your making this too easy. You should of told me it was a horrible experience haha
    It is pretty easy. The only "threat" would be picking a shady seller or a shady FFL. Find ones with good reputations that have been around a while and it will be smooth as silk.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It helps to spell virgin right lol in your thread title, been a while since I had to spell it haha.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ramitupurs84 View Post
    It helps to spell virgin right lol in your thread title, been a while since I had to spell it haha.
    Gigidy Gigidy!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I've bought two guns through gallery of guns. Both times it worked as advertised and I had my guns within a couple of days.
    www.galleryofguns.com - Buy guns online, top brands, best price, best service, best warranty; all types of guns: revolvers, rifles, pistols and shotguns.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Links