Call me crazy but I want to bury a gun on some property of mine.....

This is a discussion on Call me crazy but I want to bury a gun on some property of mine..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I'm not a hard core 'prepper' but I see the merits of burying a firearm and small ammo stockpile just in case either SHTF ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Call me crazy but I want to bury a gun on some property of mine.....

Call me crazy but I want to bury a gun on some property of mine.....

Ok I'm not a hard core 'prepper' but I see the merits of burying a firearm and small ammo stockpile just in case either SHTF or we have a "we're from the gub'ment and we're here to help" situation... And by help I mean take my firearms (Katrina) this is more for the latter than the former.

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE OVER WHAT WILL HAPPEN, IF IT WILL HAPPEN, OR WHEN IT WILL HAPPEN. I don't want my thread getting locked because of a flame throwing contest or political debate.

What kind of .22 long rifle would you bury?

How would you store it prior to burial?

My tentative plan is either a keltec su-22 rifle or a polymer stock ruger 10/22 with 2or3 bricks of .22 buried in a piece of PVC pipe (idk if either will fit into a 6" PVC pipe or not)

I plan on covering it with heavy oil and putting a bunch of silica gel packets in with it too.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Questions?

2. Remove Ads

Human burial vault comes to mind...
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

We had a few conversations about this back in the Clinton years. One suggestion was PVC pipe of a size to fit a specific weapon (like long for a rifle) then a strong glue to put caps on with silica packs inside. Bury it along a fence line, but not too close to the house. One person talked of putting one in a stone fence end. A fence end of a circle of chicken wire filled with rocks (this is something people do here). Still using the PVC with caps. The reason they said not to put it too close to a house would be that metal detectors might find it. Buried out under a field fence would be safer. One guy thought about using a GPS and burying it on Federal land....like a park. I don't really know anyone who did it (at least no one told me) but just some late night chat.

I almost forgot. When it was dug up....just saw the end of the PVC off to retrieve it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I think its a good idea, but I think something a little bigger than a .22 would be a better choice. Maybe an AK or SKS, or even an AR15 with 500 to 1000 rounds of ammo.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

Distinguished Member
    If it were me, and I realize not everyone would think this way, but if I'm burying something for that purpose, I'd be more inclined to bury an AK47 as those things seem to be able to live on and on and it can be used for hunting and for defense. Just my thought.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

The PVC above is a winner, and you could drench the gun in cosmoline just to make retrieval more fun.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The PVC above is a winner, and you could drench the gun in cosmoline just to make retrieval more fun.
    Hey, so why not just buy a new Mosin and call it good? No prep necessary.
    claude clay and JoeK like this.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    You can actually do it without going the PVC pipe route or the heavy grease or Cosmolene.

Buy a few of these...they are very inexpensive.
    Gun Sleeve CORTEC VCI-126 Rust Preventative for Storage | eBay

Clean the rifle. Wipe off fingerprints. Insert in one of those bags. Carefully shrink wrap it tight to the firearm with a heat gun.

Insert that open end first into a second bag and shrink wrap that one over the first one.

Then pop that into a LokSak for rifles and bury it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Aloksak-12...item336b1243ba

I would cosmoline the gun first, and add a small cleaning kit to store with it. A .22 LR would be easy... cleaning rod, cleaning solvent, oil or grease. Then seal it well in plastic with silica packs ... sucking all air I could out of it, and then putting into PVC, or something similar. I'ld consider a handgun to go a long with it. Ammo to me , is another issue.

How you mark / remember so you can relocate where it is, would be a bit important. GPS means you'ld be assuming the satellite system is going to always be functional, and you'ld have a functional GPS, and that you could keep the coordinates without anyone else getting them. I'ld probably recommend the Jesse James or Blackbeard methods.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I am thinking .22 because I could store over 2k rounds for under $100, total cost will be about $400 with 4bricks of .22, the ruger and pipe.... I'm thinking the .22 because i feel that since I'm burying it I don't want to spend a lot of money on it since I'm just leaving it there

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Hey, so why not just buy a new Mosin and call it good? No prep necessary.
    Wow..true story if I ever heard one. I'd almost consider burying an AK to avoid cleaning that again. That was a fun afternoon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You can actually do it without going the PVC pipe route or the heavy grease or Cosmolene.

Buy a few of these...they are very inexpensive.
    Gun Sleeve CORTEC VCI-126 Rust Preventative for Storage | eBay

Clean the rifle. Wipe off fingerprints. Insert in one of those bags. Carefully shrink wrap it tight to the firearm with a heat gun.

Insert that open end first into a second bag and shrink wrap that one over the first one.

Then pop that into a LokSak for rifles and bury it.

2 Aloksak 12x44 Waterproof Airtight Gun BagPouch LOKSAK | eBay
    The shrink wrap is a good idea but I would use something like the Food Saver and vacuum package it along with a couple of desiccant packs then into the PVC pipe. While I was on active duty I was detailed to inspect firearms that had been stored for ten years in a similar manner, all were inspected and found to be corrosion free. Just be sure to pad any sharp areas to prevent piercing the bag.

FoodSaver®
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    Wow..true story if I ever heard one. I'd almost consider burying an AK to avoid cleaning that again. That was a fun afternoon.
    Yeah, I had fun cleaning mine too. But definitely is a nice shooter. And I have a total of 45 5-round stripper clips (I won 40 on another forum and bought the other 5 at a recent gun show).
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I am really into effective long term waterproof storage. Just one of several hundred completely bizarre personal interests of mine.

A few years ago I was sold on the PVC pipe method and it IS still as effective today as it was then.

There are some more modern ways of accomplishing the same task these days and they can accomodate things that would not really fit into a length of PVC.

One FANTASTIC product is the SILICONE SELF FUSING TAPE.

Your hands need to be clean when you use it. Wash them first a few times to eliminate skin oils.

Carefully tape the object by pulling and stretching and overlapping the tape upon itself. Completely cover the object. Don't miss any spots.

After 24 hours the tape fuses to itself. It does not just "stick" to itself....it morphs into itself. It really does!

Your tape covering actually becomes a one piece waterproof skin that does not stick to the object and yet is easily removed.

I actually took a portable radio and wrapped it in silicone self fusing tape. I waited a full day and then put it into a bucket of water weighted down with a brick for a week and when I removed the tape the radio was bone dry and it worked perfectly.

The tape I used was 3M Brand but, there is other stuff out there by other manufacturers. So I can only vouch for the 3M Brand since that is the one I actually tested first hand.

I have not as yet done a long term on the Silicone tape but you would be doubly safe popping it into aloksak just to be 100% certain that your object will stay dry.
    DefConGun and abillb like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I won't lend to the discussion of logistics. I will only say.... you are not crazy. You are quite sane.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links