+1 for the Neighborhood Watch

This is a discussion on +1 for the Neighborhood Watch within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I moved into my neighborhood about 4 months ago. It’s a basic middle class neighborhood that I really liked because it’s only 15 minutes from ...

Thread: +1 for the Neighborhood Watch

+1 for the Neighborhood Watch

I moved into my neighborhood about 4 months ago. It’s a basic middle class neighborhood that I really liked because it’s only 15 minutes from the college my fiancée attends, the grade school, middle, and high schools are only a couple of blocks away, there is a police substation, fire station, library, several convience stores, and a supermarket all within a mile from the house.

There were two houses on the block that made us nervous though. One was about half way down the block from us, 4 houses down. It had a constant traffic of cars that would pull up in the yard for a few minutes then pull off. There were some 20 males that “lived” in the house, every afternoon they would spread out and walk the side streets and cars would stop and talk to them constantly.

I started complaining about the house about 2 weeks after moving in and got introduced to the chairman of our neighborhood watch program. Between the two of us, we’ve filed almost 30 complaints against this house ranging from cars blocking other peoples driveways to a kid walking around the front yard with an AK47. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that one of the younger kids would stand in the front yard or on the corner across the street and when a car would pull up, someone in the car would hand out a paper bag. The kid would walk around the house to a junk car parked in the yard, drop that bag into the back seat and pick up another bag from the front. I reported this to our liason officer and the car was towed that evening. 32 “8 balls” of crack was confiscated along with $1500 cash and two handguns. A week later I witnessed a shooting around the corner from here while walking the kid home from school. One of the shooters was one of the guys that lived in the house. He was arrested and released the same day.

Well…yesterday afternoon the house was raided, they arrested 12 people, confiscated almost a kilo of cocaine, an unknown amount of marijuana, cash, an AK47, a couple of other rifles, and some handguns. The other house was an middle aged woman whose husband is a truck driver, whenever he’s on the road she’s either out with the boys from the other house, or their at hers. She was stealing electricity from an empty house across the street. I reported it once before but could only get through to an answering service. They arrested 3 people from her house, (including her), confiscated all her vehicles, and both houses have been put on notice under the citys DART program.

There are some details I’ve left out for brevity but I guess the whole point I’m trying to make is that reporting incidents to the police does work. Not always immediantly but it does make a difference.
    Last edited by P95Carry; September 13th, 2006 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Split into a few para's for readability
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Dear God! How the hell did the rest of the neighborhood let it get that bad????
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Crack house and a crack whore. Your doing the right thing. Just keep yourself and family in condition yellow and watch your back..
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Awesome! Hopefully the trash will stay where it belongs now!

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptable struggle."
    - EDMUND BURKE

http://tacticalhq.org

Sounds just like two blocks down the road from where I live. Better grow eyes behind your back; if you filed so many complaints, those thugs might want some retribution when they get out of jail.

Senior Moderator
    I used to know of a place just like you described. Lots of drug activity and the people that frequented the place let every around them know that it would be a bad thing for them if somebody ratted them out. The police got to be regulars there and everybody associated with the place stayed in and out of jail.

The neighbors hated it and complained constantly.

One day in broad daylight the place mysteriously burned down, but none of the people were in it.

Such a shame for something like that to happen...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

talk about low lifes...

I Continue to Be Amazed...

at the number of dirt bags that are all over the earth. Great news for this neighborhood though...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I used to know of a place just like you described. Lots of drug activity and the people that frequented the place let every around them know that it would be a bad thing for them if somebody ratted them out. The police got to be regulars there and everybody associated with the place stayed in and out of jail.

The neighbors hated it and complained constantly.

One day in broad daylight the place mysteriously burned down, but none of the people were in it.

Such a shame for something like that to happen...
    Was it a shame that it burned down...or that none of the people were in it?
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Crack is not just for big cities any more. I have some relation in Rural Tenn. Several new homes have been built on old farm land and guess how they are financing their homes, no they don't make it there but their new idea is to put it in trash bags scattered about the county back roads, then pick it up when ready.

After finding several of these his tires have been slashed and he is in fear, not all police agency's have the resources to deal with this issue as well as or as quickly others.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links