Trade in my Kimber?

This is a discussion on Trade in my Kimber? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I've got a Stainless II that I'm thinking about trading for a Glock with accessories. I don't want to take it to my local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trade in my Kimber?

Trade in my Kimber?

Okay, I've got a Stainless II that I'm thinking about trading for a Glock with accessories. I don't want to take it to my local dealer as I know I can get a better deal through a board like this with another private owner. I haven't made my mind up if I want to do it just yet, but kicking it around.
    My reason is pretty simple-- I love my Kimber but I think of it as a gorgeous Corvette sitting in the barn of a farm I live on. Pretty to look at, one heck of a great drive, but I just don't want to bang it up and get her dirty. Instead, I need a Ford F150 that can haul, take a beating and if it gets scratched up-- oh well.
    I carry my Kimber in a VM2 which sits nicely against me and is flat as a pancake, but my primary carry is my XDM 3.8, so it's not that I'll be losing my workhorse.
    I also like that the Glock has more accessories than Barbie with a sugar daddy. And, they are FAR cheaper than Kimber.
    If I were to do this, I'd probably go after the 21 or 30. I know, two completely different guns, but sometimes I like the heft of a full size.
    At this time money is an issue as I just dumped a lot into my LMT 5.56 CQB MRP and I don't want to lose half my stuff to an irate wife.
    Thoughts???

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    • Sell Kimber
    • List VMII on eBay
    • Buy Glock 30SF
    • Live happily ever after

VIP Member
    I will agree with JD with one exception. I would go with the G21. If you are willing to put a fat pig on your belt, put BIG fat pig on it!
    RayBar likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    • Sell Kimber
    • List VMII on eBay
    • Buy Glock 30SF
    • Live happily ever after
    So, you think I'd get a better deal selling outright instead of trading? I agree on the VMII considering I paid list for it and see the things going for well over $200 each on ebay.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Ok, I have to start with are you insane?? Trading a 1911 for a Glock??!!

Now that that's out of the way....

The problem I have with the way you're looking at your Kimber is that it is still a great gun. Don't think of it as a Corvette; think of it as a well painted, Challenger- fast, strong, and not nearly as delicate as you might think. Unless you want to have a show piece for later on in life, why worry about how it looks? A few scratches and a little bit of holster wear are a sign that it's a well loved gun. - Like a Corvette with a lot of miles on it; what's the point in having it if you can't enjoy it?

My Springfield, while definitely not a show piece, is 'my baby'. While I'm not rough on it, I don't treat it like it's made of porcelain. It's an all steel tool; a good wrench (say, Snap-On) is well polished, and chromed. But you don't trade those off so they don't get scratched, do you?

If that's what you think will make you happy, go for it. Glocks (while hideous) are wonderful guns- revolver like reliability, durable, etc. If they weren't so expensive, I would probably have to get one- G36 for easy concealment- but I could never trade a steel gun for it.

Just my opinion; don't let me offend you, please.
    OhioCatter and oldnfat like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

When it comes to selling/trading guns I finally learned this lesson. Don't trade/sell a gun you like because at some point you WILL regret it. That being said if you do decide to get rid of it I agree with what JD said.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I will agree with JD with one exception. I would go with the G21. If you are willing to put a fat pig on your belt, put BIG fat pig on it!
    He's all ready got an HK45, so why get a 2nd huge poly .45?

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    So, you think I'd get a better deal selling outright instead of trading? I agree on the VMII considering I paid list for it and see the things going for well over $200 each on ebay.

Always. You can sell the Kimber for more than you would make in any trade, and then shop for the right Glock package. Trade-wise, you may be able to find a private seller with the right Glock package for an even up trade or +cash etc. but if we're talking trading in to a dealer, you will ALWAYS LOSE MONEY as the dealer has to be able to mark it up to make a profit. You lose that mark up in a trade.

Just my opinion; don't let me offend you, please.[/QUOTE]

Comment appreciated and definitely not offended. I like the parallels you draw, but without offending anyone myself, I sometimes wonder if the 1911 and even the Kimber, are great because people say they are great, not due to proof positive. Now, granted, the military used them for, what, over 70 years, so that's one massive big plus in their direction. But, that was the days before polymer and if we didn't have a new design coming out every month, who's to say they wouldn't have used an XD or Glock for 70 years had it been available back then.
    Good thoughts to chew on. If I save my nickels and dimes, I might be able to get myself the Glock as well, but I just don't know if I break out the 1911 enough to make it worth holding onto.
    @Rollo-- that is the ONE thing that has kept me from moving forward with this post haste. I sold a USP .40 years back when I didn't necessarily need the cash, but wanted the cash. I kick myself for that one.

@JD-- would never trade to a dealer. He has to make money off the deal, and I don't want to walk away with less than what I started. My only plan was a trade with another private owner. Good looking out, though!

Maybe I missed it but would you consider trading the xd? Keep the 1911, it is a fine lady and the xd is like a redheaded step child (apologies if anyone is, it's just a saying)!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Just my opinion; don't let me offend you, please.
    Comment appreciated and definitely not offended. I like the parallels you draw, but without offending anyone myself, I sometimes wonder if the 1911 and even the Kimber, are great because people say they are great, not due to proof positive. Now, granted, the military used them for, what, over 70 years, so that's one massive big plus in their direction. But, that was the days before polymer and if we didn't have a new design coming out every month, who's to say they wouldn't have used an XD or Glock for 70 years had it been available back then.
    Good thoughts to chew on. If I save my nickels and dimes, I might be able to get myself the Glock as well, but I just don't know if I break out the 1911 enough to make it worth holding onto.
    @Rollo-- that is the ONE thing that has kept me from moving forward with this post haste. I sold a USP .40 years back when I didn't necessarily need the cash, but wanted the cash. I kick myself for that one.
    Here is the deal, I personally love polymer pistols for the vast majority of roles as they are superb. When it comes to the pure joy of shooting there is no beating a 1911 or a nice revolver. I still have not found another gun that rivals the 1911 with regards to trigger and accuracy. Good luck to you...
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Get a bigger safe.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Get a bigger safe.
    Dang it, didn't even think about that option...

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingba11 View Post
    Maybe I missed it but would you consider trading the xd? Keep the 1911, it is a fine lady and the xd is like a redheaded step child (apologies if anyone is, it's just a saying)!
    Nah-- my XDm shoots like it's much bigger brother and I can carry it at the 3 with shorts and a t-shirt and no one knows the wiser. Small, but feels great for its size.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Here is the deal, I personally love polymer pistols for the vast majority of roles as they are superb. When it comes to the pure joy of shooting there is no beating a 1911 or a nice revolver. I still have not found another gun that rivals the 1911 with regards to trigger and accuracy. Good luck to you...
    ^ Me too. You shouldn't have to chose one over the other. I'm going on a week-long motorcycle trip next week, and though I'm sorely tempted to carry a full-size 1911, the plain fact is that I'll be sweating like a pig when in slow traffic and caught in the rain at least more than once. My Glock G30 will give me 3 more rounds capacity, plus a 13-rnd mag on tap, and not give a wit about whatever abuse it takes (nor will I).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links