Ammo with a shelf life

This is a discussion on Ammo with a shelf life within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have been hearing rumor that the current Pres. Administration may be pushing for ammo manufactures to produce ammo that has a shelf life of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ammo with a shelf life

Ammo with a shelf life

We have been hearing rumor that the current Pres. Administration may be pushing for ammo manufactures to produce ammo that has a shelf life of around 5-6 years.

Has anyone else been subject to any of this info?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    First I've heard of it. I'm not really worried about it though. Just because something is past it's recommended shelf life date, doesn't mean it is no longer functional.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've not heard anything on that lately. About 15 years ago some talk of primers designed to degrade within 2-3 years surfaced. It was argued to be a bad idea from military and law enforcement perspectives. Now as to whether or not the law abiding citizen could be sold ammunition with limited shelf life while restricting "the good stuff" for use by the military or selected agencies hasn't yet been addressed as far as I know.

Such a backdoor control is insidious and should be exposed and fought. The right to keep and bear arms is pointless with ineffective ammunition.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Probably BS. Next thing you know and Obama will be taking away your birthday and Christmas!
    Phaedrus, atctimmy, Badey and 2 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Allegedly the powder itself will degrade. Personnaly we've shot 15 plus year old .22 with only the occasional misfire.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I wonder when they'll try to enforce a trigger that is designed to break after 200 pulls.
    Logic and bmcgilvray like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Yes, pretty incredible. Since attempting to make gun ownership harder has been stomped out they may have turned attention to ammo. Its comparable to a car with no gas, no matter how the brand/make/model the car was its inoperable without gas.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Would this not be against the Green ajenda? Why would treehuggers want to create something that can't be used after a certain date and had to be disposed of? OH, WAIT... This comes form the the people who want to save the trees yet they heat with wood!

Seriously though, I see no reason for it. Futhermore I have friends that shoot 40-year old ammo and with little or no problems. Some of it is ammo that was hermeticaly sealed in a container similar to a very large sardine can. Under those conditions I would think that ammo stored in decent conditions would last 50-100 years.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Would this not be against the Green ajenda? Why would treehuggers want to create something that can't be used after a certain date and had to be disposed of? OH, WAIT... This comes form the the people who want to save the trees yet they heat with wood!

Seriously though, I see no reason for it. Futhermore I have friends that shoot 40-year old ammo and with little or no problems. Some of it is ammo that was hermeticaly sealed in a container similar to a very large sardine can. Under those conditions I would think that ammo stored in decent conditions would last 50-100 years.
    Even ammo stored in the worst conditions can be fired after 10+ years. My Dad had several cases of 9mm, .38, 7.62x39, and .22 kept in a damp garage for god only knows how long. They were all gun show reloads. Most of it was completely covered in corrosion. We fired everything but the .22 with only the occasional dud. The .22 on the other hand was mostly ruined. Roughly half of it wouldn't fire.

I have heard nothing about this, but it sounds like the type of thing the gun control crowd would think of.

On a somewhat related note, what do most consider to be the shelf life of factory ammunition? I have some rounds for my deer gun that were bought in the 60s (well before I was born). I haven't had any problems so far, but I always inspect the ammo for corrosion before I load it up.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    - Edmund Burke

VIP Member
    Thank you Internet. This rumor has been going around for several years. Google "ammo shelf life law" and you'll see posts from 2009 with the same subject.
    Phaedrus likes this.

I fired a box of Sears 22lr that was 50 years old and the rounds had mold on them...not a single failure to fire out of an old H&R 922 revolver.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

One more reason to stock up more ammo now ??? LOL.

Maybe it was started by an Ammo Mfgr. I wouldn't doubt there are those in the anti-gun crowd looking at every option possible. Micro-stamping has gotten back into the discussions again. So, I wouldn't doubt anything anymore about any of it. Look at those that laughed about the UN Small Arms Treaty that aren't laughing now.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I wonder when they'll try to enforce a trigger that is designed to break after 200 pulls.
    Some manufacturers are already using them!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's a ploy to get people to dispose of "expired" ammo. Just like they do with medicines.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links