Brown Bess Replica Source

This is a discussion on Brown Bess Replica Source within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know I have more than a couple of smoke pole brothers on DC. Hopefully, one of you can help me out. I'm looking for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Brown Bess Replica Source

VIP Member

I know I have more than a couple of smoke pole brothers on DC. Hopefully, one of you can help me out. I'm looking for information on good quality Brown Bess replicas. I've been thinking of adding one for some fun range time. Any recommendations, information, or links you can share would be appreciated. Thanks!

VIP Member
    Mine is a Pedersoli kit I bought from Navy Arms in the early 90's. Dixie Gun Works probably has it, too.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Assembly is easy. I lightly sanded the beautiful walnut stock and applied tung oil in several hand rubbed coats.

Woodworker.com: 100% Pure Tung Oil For Fine Finishes, Pure Tung Oil

According to Lyman's Black Powder Handbook, it handles 150gr FG behind a .735 patched ball, but I rather enjoy 120 gr. The colonists would place a ball in the hand and just cover it with powder for their charge, about 60-70grs. Also, a 10ga wad for steel shot just slips down the bore, if you want to send a couple oz of whatever into the air. It's a hoot to shoot.
    Attached Images
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Administrator
    I built one of these. It was a great project that I really enjoyed working on.
    Hawken Black Powder Rifle 50 Cal Percussion Wood Stock 1 48 Twist 28 Octagon Barrel Blue
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Mine is a Pedersoli kit I bought from Navy Arms in the early 90's. Dixie Gun Works probably has it, too.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Assembly is easy. I lightly sanded the beautiful walnut stock and applied tung oil in several hand rubbed coats.

Woodworker.com: 100% Pure Tung Oil For Fine Finishes, Pure Tung Oil

According to Lyman's Black Powder Handbook, it handles 150gr FG behind a .735 patched ball, but I rather enjoy 120 gr. The colonists would place a ball in the hand and just cover it with powder for their charge, about 60-70grs. Also, a 10ga wad for steel shot just slips down the bore, if you want to send a couple oz of whatever into the air. It's a hoot to shoot.
    That sounds like too much fun to be legal. Sorry. Now I kinda want one. And one of those little cannons... the little 50cal cannons that sit on a tabletop... yeah...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Yeah, once you go black-powder, you never go back.

To demonstrate the evolution of the pistol, I have replicas of these:
    1807 Harper's Ferry 58 cal flintlock w/ 10" rifled bbl;
    Philadelphia Derringer 45cal caplock, like the one used in the Ford Theater;
    and an 1851 Colt Navy 44cal caplock six-shooter, a favorite of Wild Bill Hickock.

The 1807 is the most fun.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Administrator
    My suggestion would be absolutely to build one. Really take your time and do it right.
    You are (in effect) creating a family heirloom that can be passed down gen to gen.

You can personalize it a bit AKA do something unique with the stock (that makes it yours) and many years from now future family members can talk about the rifle that belonged to Great Great Great Grandpappy ctr.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My suggestion would be absolutely to build one. Really take your time and do it right.
    You are (in effect) creating a family heirloom that can be passed down gen to gen.

You can personalize it a bit AKA do something unique with the stock (that makes it yours) and many years from now future family members can talk about the rifle that belonged to Great Great Great Grandpappy ctr.
    I tried about 20 years ago to build a Hawken from scratch. I did not have the skills, tools, or patience so you can guess what happened. Funny how a guy can build houses for charity but can't do the detail work on a nice muzzleloader. Go figure.

VIP Member
    You might also check Track of the Wolf. I believe they have the Brown Bess, but II think they are VERY pricy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Pedersoli is your best source for a Second Model. Track of the Wolf had a First Model advertised recently in the $2500 range. Biggest difference for shooting between the two is the Second Model has more drop in the stock and is a little easier to shoulder and aim.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Links