Longslide 1911s

This is a discussion on Longslide 1911s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tell me a little bit about Longslide 1911s. I will hopefully be joining the ranks of Law Enforcement officers soon and I will be using ...

Thread: Longslide 1911s

Longslide 1911s

Tell me a little bit about Longslide 1911s. I will hopefully be joining the ranks of Law Enforcement officers soon and I will be using a Sig 220. My only use for a 1911 will be just for fun and I like the uniqueness of longslides. So is there a production model out or will I have to go custom? Is there a noticable gain in accuracy? How is the reliability?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I don't know much about them, but I know Springfield has produced some longslides
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator

Post The AMT Hardballer Longslide

The AMT Hardballer Longslide was made by Arcadia Machine and Tool.

It was an all Stainless 7 + 1 Capacity .45 with a 7" Barrel.
    Nice adjustable sights.
    I am straining my memory here but, it suffered from galling problems of the frame & slide rails.
    Gunsmiths eventually figured out how to solve that problem by Electroless Nickel plating either the frame or slide and then sometimes doing industrial hard chrome over the Nickel. After doing that it became a pretty doggone good shooter.
    I believe that some early examples exhibited some eventual hairline cracking problems at the location of the ejection port. That problem was solved after a short while.

You can still find them around & they pop up on Gunbroker.com

If you buy one as a shooter then plan on adding the cost of Electroplating the frame to the asking price of the pistol. You will NEED to do that in order to have a reliable shooting handgun.

P.S. Brownells sells a STI long slide and frame combo to be used as base parts to build a custom long slide.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-ls.shtml

I know one guy with a 6" Springfield 1911. He really likes it. His is very accurate and reliable.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Administrator

Post I Keep Fergetting

That we have younger forum members that have probably never seen a AMT LongSlide Hardballer.
    This one is off of GunBroker...notice the Idiot Mark & it has been modified to have an ejection port relief cut added. (other side not shown)

Looks just like mine OK, after several K of wolf HB I can detect no galling but out of habit all of the ware areas are lubed with Lubriplate and CLP. Really fun to shoot, nice long sight radious. Last time at the range was poping cans at 75yds. (12oz pop cans)!

Thanks everyone. I am not even 21 yet so there are more than a few guns I have no knowledge of. But I try to soak up any new info I come accross. I like the 6" Longslides and its good to see Springfield makes a production model.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Back when they first came out I don't think there were too many super advanced type gun lubricants used by most shooters.

These days...yep, I guess one of the super duper anti-seize gun greases would solve the problem without doing the electroplating.

Nice addition...Thanks!

The AMT Long Slide really IS a unique hybrid .45. The AMT with its 7" barrel is wild looking! - You're lucky to have one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I'm giving away my age here but, I DO remember the days when if you wanted a Long Slide .45 - it was necessary to cut up two slides in order to make one Long Slide.
    The Front of one slide and the rear of the other were carefully cut, trued~up, lined up and then welded together.
    Then a custom barrel would have to be machined from scratch for it.
    I remember that....the custom "smiths" doing LongSlide Conversions.

Question...didn't they figure out...at some point in time...that increasing the .45acp barrel length beyond a certain overall total length really added no appreciable velocity gain with factory ammo?

That's MIGHT be why they stayed with 6" rather than 7" for the more recent Long Slide pistols.

OD*
    Les Baer offers a very nice 6", if you can handle the price.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'm giving away my age here but, I DO remember the days when if you wanted a Long Slide .45 - it was necessary to cut up two slides in order to make one Long Slide.
    The Front of one slide and the rear of the other were carefully cut, trued~up, lined up and then welded together.
    Then a custom barrel would have to be machined from scratch for it.
    I remember that....the custom "smiths" doing LongSlide Conversions.

Question...didn't they figure out...at some point in time...that increasing the .45acp barrel length beyond a certain overall total length really added no appreciable velocity gain with factory ammo?

That's MIGHT be why they stayed with 6" rather than 7" for the more recent Long Slide pistols.
    You're probably right, and given that .45 is subsonic to begin with, 7" might be burning out before it leaves the bore. "Look, Pa, I got a .45 that throws at 400fps!" Exaggerating, but.......

Links