Stand Your Ground Texas murder suspect found guilty

This is a discussion on Stand Your Ground Texas murder suspect found guilty within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; according to associated press June 14,2012: prosecutor Kelli Johnson said Rodriguez started the confrontation when instead of calmly asking Danaher to turn down the music ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Stand Your Ground Texas murder suspect found guilty

Stand Your Ground Texas murder suspect found guilty

according to associated press June 14,2012:

prosecutor Kelli Johnson said Rodriguez started the confrontation when instead of calmly asking Danaher to turn down the music he armed himself with a handgun and a camera and proceeded to harass people at the party.

Johnson said Rodriguez lured and provoked Danaher and two other men to come out onto the street and threatened them by brandishing his gun. Rodriguez did have a concealed handgun license. She said Danaher and the two other men were unarmed and that Rodriguez's life was never in any danger. Danaher's widow had told jurors her husband was not a confrontational person.

"This is not what stand your ground is," Johnson said. "Stand your ground is something the law takes very seriously. The law makes it very clear" when the law can be used.

Sentencing will be next.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mascariot View Post
    according to associated press June 14,2012:

prosecutor Kelli Johnson said Rodriguez started the confrontation when instead of calmly asking Danaher to turn down the music he armed himself with a handgun and a camera and proceeded to harass people at the party.

Johnson said Rodriguez lured and provoked Danaher and two other men to come out onto the street and threatened them by brandishing his gun. Rodriguez did have a concealed handgun license. She said Danaher and the two other men were unarmed and that Rodriguez's life was never in any danger. Danaher's widow had told jurors her husband was not a confrontational person.

"This is not what stand your ground is," Johnson said. "Stand your ground is something the law takes very seriously. The law makes it very clear" when the law can be used.

Sentencing will be next.
    The prosecutor is absolutely correct. At least in NC, the aggressor can never use syg self-defense as an excuse.
    Eagleks likes this.

Good,he was the agressor,you don't claim SYG when you go out looking for the fight.

hardly a Stand Your Ground case. This is in no way what the framers of these laws intended. You can't go pick a fight with an unarmed man, shoot him, and then say...."I was in
    fear for my life".
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

He deserves what he is going to get......
    Spade115 and Spirit51 like this.

Amen, Harryball. SYG is not an excuse to act like a jackass just because you have a permit. Those of us who are responsible need to make sure people know the difference between this act and true SYG.,
    babarock and Chevy-SS like this.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was youner

I saw this one coming when it first came out. He was looking for a confrontation from the start.
    Spade115 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Couldn't agree more. This guy was clearly the aggressor. He gives all CCL holders a bad rep and I hope they throw the book at him.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Retreat, retreat, retreat, retreat,,,,, never be the aggressor & even then,,, you
    will be in jeopardy of losing your case (and you will be tried) even if you do
    EVERYTHING right ,,,,, never be the provoker. Stand you ground is getting a
    lot of FALSE media and in most of the recent cases ,,,,, should not have been
    an issue.
    Chevy-SS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Retreat, retreat, retreat, retreat,,,,....

Yep, that's my philosophy.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Embarrassing from a gun owners perspective on the shooter and as well as being a firefighter. He shot one his fellow Houston firefighters. The guy that died from what I read was a 2nd grade teacher. I hope they nail him to the wall and make a example out of him for our sake. No remorse for saying that either.
    Spirit51 likes this.

I hope it serves to educate others on what "stand your ground laws" really mean, and in this case... he obviously didn't understand it at all.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Think of the damage a nut job like this does. The anti's are going to jump all over this,see,this is what all these concealed carry nuts are all about. This lunatic should have never been issued a permit. I'm about as pro gun as you can get,but I'm not pro stupid. Many states have these online one hour courses to get a permit. In my opinion,that should not be allowed. You cannot screen a student for the wrong attitude as he is being taught.They will reveal a great deal about how they think over the coarse of a six to eight hour class. Instructors,you must look for this attitude in your students. You won't be able to change it,but you don't have to train them. Knowledge can be shared, skills can be taught, not much you can do about the wrong attitude. I know I will hear about it on this online garbage,its his right bla,bla,bla. But, If we don't police ourselves when we see something glaringly wrong with the issuance of permits,someone else will. And we are not going to like what the someone else does.
    Spirit51 likes this.

If the article's points are true, then it was more of a Take New Ground situation instead of Stand Your Ground. Bad, to have someone with a CHL doing such things. Can't be going around like it's a "magic halo" or badge.

Want to carry legally? Then go get suitable training so you can bloody well learn to carry responsibly.

Want to wear a badge? Then go get suitable training so you can execute that role responsibly.

Want a "magic halo"? Do chest pounding like appears to be the case, here, and at some point it's likely to be arranged for you.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If my state didn't require training, I 'd still take the same course. I am not new to carrying, but new to the laws for the responsibility I engage in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links