Chamber Question

Chamber Question

This is a discussion on Chamber Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive been thinking of this recently and was watching that gunsmoke show and this thought crossed my head...(It might be dumb but I figured better ...

Thread: Chamber Question

Chamber Question

Ive been thinking of this recently and was watching that gunsmoke show and this thought crossed my head...(It might be dumb but I figured better to ask then to assume right)

When you run dry on a semi the gun stays open (Usually)

So my question is I know some people carry 1 in the chamber, none in the chamber, and one in the chamber cocked back.

BUT for those with none in the chamber if you dry fire it, it will open, and rack the round wont it? (Does this make sense?)

heres a pic

So lets say you have to pull your weapon and pull the trigger this happens, can you hit the release and rack the round to actually fire at the individual?

would this make sense?

Sorry if this is a repost have not seen anything asking this.

Thank you
    J.R.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Ive been thinking of this recently and was watching that gunsmoke show and this thought crossed my head...(It might be dumb but I figured better to ask then to assume right)

When you run dry on a semi the gun stays open (Usually)

So my question is I know some people carry 1 in the chamber, none in the chamber, and one in the chamber cocked back.

BUT for those with none in the chamber if you dry fire it, it will open, and rack the round wont it? (Does this make sense?)heres a pic

So lets say you have to pull your weapon and pull the trigger this happens, can you hit the release and rack the round to actually fire at the individual?

would this make sense?

Sorry if this is a repost have not seen anything asking this.

Thank you
    J.R.
    The answer to your question is - no.

What causes the slide to cycle is the recoil of the previous round going off.

I suppose you COULD carry with the slide locked back, but I wouldn't.

Good luck and I suggest more study.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    A semi-auto use the force of the round firing to rack the slide. If yuo do not have a round in the chamber and pull the trigger, you get a click and nothing else. You have to manually rack the slide. you would have to carry your weapon locked back for your scenario to work.

When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    J>R> the slide will go back if you manually pull it or if the hammer falls on a live round--the firing of the round creats gasses wich are contained buy the case and bullet and chamber.

pressure build, breaks the cases hold ( or the crimps) on the bullet and the bullet begins to accelerate

the bullet leaves the barrel about the same time as the slides locking style is overcome by the same pressure
    and the slide begins to move

for a trigger pull on an empty chammmber to move the slide there would have to be a connection between them
    and it would take a lot more than 10 or so pounds of pull to move the slide.

phreddy types faster.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sponsored Links