Son gives me Heart failure at range

This is a discussion on Son gives me Heart failure at range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok here we go folks. First off I am familiar with all my guns and practice safe handling at all times no matter what. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Son gives me Heart failure at range

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Son gives me Heart failure at range

Ok here we go folks. First off I am familiar with all my guns and practice safe handling at all times no matter what. I will not even break my concentration when cleaning my firearms at the end of the day. I have also obtained extra training as well. I have worked with my son with UNLOADED firearms for the past couple of months and thought today was the day I would take him to the range for Live fire shooting. Once again I went over safe handling (before we left) with him again today ( everyting I know, plus what instructors have shown me in class ). So we get to the range, get the gun out (safety again) and proceed to load the first mag with (1) rd. and I make sure he has evrything right. Everything looks good so we take the safety off and he gets set and pulls the trigger, no problem. We repeat this drill a few times and everything looks good so this time I give him a full mag of 22lr. After everything we have went over this is where it goes wrong and it is all my fault and I take full responsability for it. We get him all set, get him up to the line, and then it happens, the most important thing I forgot to tell him.......do not OUTSHOOT your dad at the range. He put all 10rds of 22lr inside the size of a tennis ball (with quite a few X's) at 20yds. The boy gave me heart failure when I seen this. His first time and he shoots better than I ever will. After the 22lr I moved him to the 9mm (1) rnd at a time and he shoots really well again.

We had a great time at the range, went through about 200rnds of 22lr, 100rnds of 9mm, and 100rnds of .45 (love my .45). He's already asking when we are headed back to the range and he said said he'll pay for the ammo. I wish I would have started this years ago with him. I've never enjoyed the range as much as I have today. Teach your kids firearm safety ( i'm sure you have ) and take them out shooting, what better way to spend the day.

2. Remove Ads

One thing i've noticed is that brand new shooters dont anticipate shots nearly as bad as alot of experienced shooters. Hey, gotta blame something!
    ericb327 and 4my sons like this.

VIP Member
    My kid's getting good enough to start getting competitive with me. He's taking shooting to a whole new level of fun for us.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    Ok here we go folks. First off I am familiar with all my guns and practice safe handling at all times no matter what. I will not even break my concentration when cleaning my firearms at the end of the day. I have also obtained extra training as well. I have worked with my son with UNLOADED firearms for the past couple of months and thought today was the day I would take him to the range for Live fire shooting. Once again I went over safe handling (before we left) with him again today ( everyting I know, plus what instructors have shown me in class ). So we get to the range, get the gun out (safety again) and proceed to load the first mag with (1) rd. and I make sure he has evrything right. Everything looks good so we take the safety off and he gets set and pulls the trigger, no problem. We repeat this drill a few times and everything looks good so this time I give him a full mag of 22lr. After everything we have went over this is where it goes wrong and it is all my fault and I take full responsability for it. We get him all set, get him up to the line, and then it happens, the most important thing I forgot to tell him.......do not OUTSHOOT your dad at the range. He put all 10rds of 22lr inside the size of a tennis ball (with quite a few X's) at 20yds. The boy gave me heart failure when I seen this. His first time and he shoots better than I ever will. After the 22lr I moved him to the 9mm (1) rnd at a time and he shoots really well again.

We had a great time at the range, went through about 200rnds of 22lr, 100rnds of 9mm, and 100rnds of .45 (love my .45). He's already asking when we are headed back to the range and he said said he'll pay for the ammo. I wish I would have started this years ago with him. I've never enjoyed the range as much as I have today. Teach your kids firearm safety ( i'm sure you have ) and take them out shooting, what better way to spend the day.
    Maybe one of you needs new eyeglasses. Your son might be a tad far sighted giving him an advantage
    at that range though he maybe would have some trouble reading; you might be a tad near sighted or are
    near sighted and need new glasses so you can see the dang target.

And then there is -- beginner's luck. Or, maybe the gun fits his hand better than it does yours.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Damn kids....

Reaperman357 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Apparently ya done an excellent job teaching him the basics so enjoy it. Glad you had fun with him. How old?

There is no substitute for young eyes...
    scgunlover1, WHEC724, ctr and 3 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Didn't expect to hear a proud Papa when I saw the title. Good for you and your son.

My Hubby is training our grand daughter now. She is really excited and has committed the safety rules to memory (she even took notes....too cute). A little more and it will be target time. I know they will both love it. It is good to past along useful education and skills to a new generation. I am teaching her sewing.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I remember the first time my wife out shot me.Kinda proud kinda annoyed.
    Spirit51, Brass63, Lish and 1 others like this.

Sounds like a good time was had by all! I started taking my son to the range when he was 11. Did me proud with his Ruger New Bearcat. Bought him a 22/45 about a year later. Good opportunity for bonding!

Yup. Been there done that. Daughter consistantly is a better shot. As 10thmtn said it's your old eyes vs their young ones - and that's my story and I'm stickn to it.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    My eyes are old and hand is not as steady as it used to be so he has a little advantage. The old man still ain't bad though.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Nothing like range time with a son or daughter. I started teaching my son gun safety when he was only 4. I woulld regularly go over safety procedures with him, and let him handle them (empty of course, pointed in safe direction), teaching him safe handling. I felt this would satisfy a child's natural curiosity and build a lifetime of safe gun handling. He fired a .22 at 6, and started making regular range trips with me at 11, when i gave him his first gun, a Ruger 10-22. He's 25 now. We enjoy handloading together, and recently started shooting IDPA. I wouldn't take anything for these times with him. He's outscoring me now - makes me proud.

Young whippersnappers just have no respect for their elders. (Well done, BTW.)

My son has little interest so I don't push it beyond making sure he knows the basics. My daughter on the other hand... She's only 4 but she had a pretty pink .22 picked out at Gander Mtn that she wants. She has conversations with her 5 year old friend about who's going to have a bigger gun when they grow up. Thinking we'll start her out with the air soft in the not too distant future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links