.410 Ammo Question

.410 Ammo Question

This is a discussion on .410 Ammo Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is it ok to shoot .410 hand gun ammo,such as made for the Judge, in an old single shot .410 shotgun? I have a .410 ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By grouse
  • 1 Post By Reaperman357

Thread: .410 Ammo Question

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

.410 Ammo Question

Is it ok to shoot .410 hand gun ammo,such as made for the Judge, in an old single shot .410 shotgun? I have a .410 from the late 1960's,have not fired it in years,just curious if this ammo is ok to use.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Make sure the barrel isn't blocked and the gun is in working order first if you haven't shot it in so long but if the ammo doesn't say not to shoot it in a full sized .410 should be fine.

Only thing I'd be concerned about is that if your'e shooting slugs, check to see if you're running a choke on that long gun. Not sure sending a slug through a choked bbl would be a great idea.

I just sold one from the 1970's and shot all kinds of ammo out out of it. anything before the 1900's I would worry about it but after that your fine
    mr.stuart likes this.

Federal .000 buck shot, # 4 shot, no slugs. I suppose my thought was, the Judge has a slight rifling in the barrel, the old shot gun is a smooth bore. I was not sure if their is a difference in the ammo that would matter.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Most all .410's are choked full that is the muzzle end tapers down so the shot string will take its time before it begins to spread out. This in theory means the shot will hold together longer making longer range shots possible. 410's not having much shot to begin with are thought to be more lethal with the tight "full" choke.

A Taurus judge has no choke so large buckshot pellets exiting the barrel encounter no constriction so no pressure problems. But with so many different full choke .410 long guns out there I wonder the same thing "is it safe to fire buckshot out of a full choked .410"?

I know buckshot fired out of a 20 16 12 or even 10 gauge full choked guns is commonly done, however with a .410 buckshot is packed one behind the other not the looser larger bore type packing.

So my question : would the single stack packing of .410 buckshot fired from a tight full choked gun cause barrel damage?
    mr.stuart likes this.

Good question. I bet somebody here has the answer.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    The Judge has a rifled barrel, i.e., pistol not a short barrel shotgun. The loads are not "magnum" loads for the judge. If the buckshot was not to be used in "choked" barrels the packages would have a disclaimer on them?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I've fired a bunch of slug's through my grandpa's 1970 Mossberg model 500 .410 with a full choke and never had an issue. I wouldn't worry about aslong as the gyn is in goid working order.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

For the triple ought buckshot question .000 is .36 caliber a .410 is .45 caliber so it should be fine.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    "Death Overcomes All"
    "All it takes for Evil to triumph is for Good men to stand by and do nothing"

Sponsored Links