M&P over Glock for me so far...

This is a discussion on M&P over Glock for me so far... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the gun show this morning in Montgomery, AL to compare the M&P, Glock and XD 9mm. I didn't like the strap safety on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: M&P over Glock for me so far...

M&P over Glock for me so far...

Went to the gun show this morning in Montgomery, AL to compare the M&P, Glock and XD 9mm.

I didn't like the strap safety on the XD - one more thing to possibly break.

Both the Glock and M&P felt great in my hand, but the Glock 19 was much more top heavy. I'm wondering if that's to compensate for added recoil due to the shorter barrel.

Now I haven't shot either and that will be the ultimate test, but for now, the M&P is leading the pick.

BTW: Those gun show prices are crazy high! $600 for an SKS; $2,000 for a Colt AR-15 and $350 for a Hi-Point 9mm carbine!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

I'm pretty much strictly a Glock guy and even I admit that the M&P's have the best ergos of any pistol on the market.
    RayBar likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The M&P's do feel great in the hand, but so do Glocks...I guess I stuck on Glocks.
    Only you can decide on which is best for you.
    If EVERYONE loved Glocks, imagine how expensive and hard they would become to find/purchase?
    Thanks to all who don't like Glocks.
    zonker1986 and AZJD1968 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    You're welcome.
    mano3 likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

They both are top heavy at the gun shows... With fully loaded magazines the balance is pretty good with either for me. I couldn't make up my mind on which to buy so I bought one of each! Love 'em both but tend to carry the G19 much more.
    mano3 likes this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Any comments on how they shoot?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The M&P's do feel great in the hand, but so do Glocks...I guess I stuck on Glocks.
    If EVERYONE loved Glocks, imagine how expensive and hard they would become to find/purchase?
    Thanks to all who don't like Glocks.:yup:

^^^^You owe me/us Bigtime^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I isn't so much that I don't like Glock, as a matter of liking the M&P a tad more.

As ret said,, only the buyer can decide what feels right when shooting, or what shoots better for them.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I've had my full size M&P 9 for about two and half years. So reliable with anything I feed it that it's almost boring. I have never had any kind of malfunction that was not clearly ammo related. Not to say that the glocks are not reliable, they certainly are. My father took his out a while back after sitting in his safe for a few years,went to the range and went through a couple hundred rounds without any troubles at all. It really just depends on which one feels better to you. The M&P felt better to me, especially since I am left handed. You can't go wrong either way!!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Well, they both are great shooters IMO. Very similar as far as felt recoil although I am not really one that is recoil sensitive. I find that both guns shoot very similar groups both in size and point of impact. I bought the G19 as a carry weapon first and later the M&P thinking I might use it for IPSC and carry as well. The G19 is a Gen. 3 and as such has a bit larger grip than I like (I have smallish hands). The M&P has changable backstraps and using the small size fits my hand much better. I like the ambi slide release of the M&P as I am left handed. The grip on the M&P is about 1/2 inch longer than the G19 making the Glock easier to conceal for me. Both have been totally reliable though at first, the G19 was pinging me in the forehead with ejected cartridges. A slight grip adjustment seems to have fixed that problem for me.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

I traded an M&P 9c for a Glock 33. Just shot the Glock 33 today. For me, I like both and doesn't seem too much different. Neither has malfunctioned. I do like the .357 Sig over the 9mm though. I don't care for the Springfield XD's.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Any comments on how they shoot?
    I don't like the trigger. They aren't HORRIBLE or anything and I can shoot them ok, I just much prefer the Glock trigger. The M&P trigger to me is gritty and mushy.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    all I ever hear about M&P is how comfy it is in the hand.........Well OK great
    but when else can it do ?
    It has a trigger than always needs a trigger job (+100.00) and has the lowest resale value of any of the
    tupperware guns.......A Glock and a 3# connector kicks butt and if u need cash you will have a gun that holds up well

sgb
    Both the Glock and the M&P shoot softer than the XD. Don't much care for the glock's grip angle or it's dart gun trigger. The M&P feels much better in the hand and while the M&P's stock trigger is only adequate it can easily be made exceptional.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    My (80 yr young) neighbor has been thinking about getting his CPL, so I bought a groupon coupon to a LGS which included rental of two 9mm, 50 rds, two targets and one hr of range time. I picked up an additional 100 rds at WW.

He's not unfamiliar with firearms, however, it's been about 20 yrs since he's shot anything, in particular, semi's. He has a (expired) NYC ccw permit that he got in the 70's.

I picked out a G-26 and M&P 9c to shoot. I did not give him any pre-notions or opinions of either pistol. After some quick review of safety, battery of arms, how to grip, posture, stance, etc. We commenced to aerate some paper. Started at 15 ft and worked our way out to 45 ft. As it turns out, he's a natural (both eyes open) point shooter, and a darn good one. After giving both the Glock and M&P a 3 mag comparison, he decided that he much more preferred the M&P over the Glock, and his groupings reflected this. At 21 ft, he consistently maintained 3 to 4 inch groupings in the center of each target area.

In this particular case/shooter/single data point, M&P was preferred over the Glock. When I can get my hands on a Shield, I'm gonna' have him try this out too.
    Last edited by MotorCityGun; June 17th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
    mano3 likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Thanks to all who don't like Glocks.
    Hard to improve on perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    and if u need cash you will have a gun that holds up well
    I wouldn't know. I've never sold one.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links