Help with grip size for 1911

This is a discussion on Help with grip size for 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm going to make my father some wood 1911 grips for a late idea for fathers day, but I need to know if the ...

Thread: Help with grip size for 1911

Help with grip size for 1911

So I'm going to make my father some wood 1911 grips for a late idea for fathers day, but I need to know if the grips are smaller or the same size as my kimber pro carry 2? This is a complete surprise for him so it's no like I can ask him with out having him be suspicious.

Would appreciate any help if possible!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jtj82 View Post
    So I'm going to make my father some wood 1911 grips for a late idea for fathers day, but I need to know if the grips are smaller or the same size as my kimber pro carry 2? This is a complete surprise for him so it's no like I can ask him with out having him be suspicious.

Would appreciate any help if possible!
    So what kind of gun does Dad have?

your Pro Carry has the full-size, Government/Commander length grips. these will fit about 80% (a guess) of 1911's out there. if your dad's gun is all steel, it will probably take your Kimber size grips. if your dad's gun is a full size 1911 with 5" barrel , it will take your Kimber size grips. only the shorter barrel Officer's model and other smaller 1911's with 3" or 3.5" barrels, designed for concealed carry will have the shorter grips. if you absolutely can't ask him, or examine his gun, make the grips the same size as your Pro Carry. the odds will be in your favor.

Well my Dad's gun is a Sig C3. From what other people say they thought that the Sig grips were different than any other 1911 grips, but I wouldn't see why
    because it's a 1911!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    if your dad's gun is all steel, it will probably take your Kimber size grips.
    Not sure what you're meaning here? Why would steel vs aluminum make a difference? Models would make a difference, materials shouldn't.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jtj82 View Post
    Well my Dad's gun is a Sig C3. From what other people say they thought that the Sig grips were different than any other 1911 grips, but I wouldn't see why
    because it's a 1911!
    The C3 has a compact frame and WOULD NOT work with full frame grips such as those on your Pro Carry.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...s/1911-c3.aspx

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Links