Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

This is a discussion on Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a kid all the time. No one used ear protection of any kind in the 60s. I do remember ringing in the ears after ...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

As a kid all the time. No one used ear protection of any kind in the 60s. I do remember ringing in the ears after sometimes.

Sent via Mental Power

2. Remove Ads

Yep, I have. From .22 to .50 BMG and a lotta different ones in between!

My hearing is fine according to all the hearing tests I've taken. My wife doesn't believe them....

Actually, according to the Army my hearing improved during the time I was deployed to Afghanistan and shot a lot of guns without hearing protection
    I think they may have been rigged to avoid having to pay everyone disability for being half deaf....

many mango seasons ago i did. but in the 80's there was a push to wear 'ears".
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    Yep, I have. From .22 to .50 BMG and a lotta different ones in between!

My hearing is fine according to all the hearing tests I've taken. My wife doesn't believe them....

Actually, according to the Army my hearing improved during the time I was deployed to Afghanistan and shot a lot of guns without hearing protection
    I think they may have been rigged to avoid having to pay everyone disability for being half deaf....
    I believe it, I got the same issues in both knees (even says so on paper) I only get paid for one, lol

i once fired s&w 460 indoors without hearing protection. lets just say i won't be doing that again.

What?
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I was around when a ND went off. The ringing sound was just like in the movies/video games. I think I may have suffered a little hearing loss in my left ear, too.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I was standing next to a guy when he fired a black powder rifle, needless to say I'll be wearing my ears next time. It woke me up a bit.
    Other than that, I've fired shotguns and pistols without ears, I couldn't hear anything else for the rest of the day.

When I go shooting I have my electronic ears on all the time, except for my .22, it actually makes it worse because it amplifies the echo. I don't think it reaches the dB limit to block it out.

Sure, all the time. I avoid it if possible, but when I used to guide guys would bring their 340 Weatherbys, complete with brakes.

I hate brakes.

I don't hear so well anymore.

I did it a lot when I was younger. As an adult I was only dumb enough to do it one time firing my brother-in-law's .44 magnum revolver. Bad move. I literally felt the shock wave hit my ear drum and my left ear rang for months and I couldn't hear as clearly out of it for months after. I could hear people talk but not make out details. Now I always wear protection.

Lotsa times. Outside I don't like ear stuff...in the range indoors it can get pretty loud.

Sure, it happens. I walked into an indoor range once and forgot the ears. PAINFUL!! If you guys continue to shoot without hearing protection you WILL suffer hearing loss. Please put on the ears!
    Best
    Maximus Decimus Meridius

Retired SCPO USN
    NRA certified Instructor
    Arizona CCW instructor

As it will cause hearing loss I don't advise it.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Yes, when hunting (mostly shotguns or .22 rifle), never seemed to bother me. I've done it three times over almost 30 years accidentally at the range under a covered firing line, ears did ring for about 3 days. The tin roof made it seem much louder.

I already have hearing loss and tinnitus from an antibiotic taken to treat a rare bacterial infection, known side affect was tinnitus and hearing loss. Now, when I'm on the rifle range and I know someone is shooting a 7 mag or something similar close by, I use foam plugs plus muffs.
    NRA Life Member

Let's see, I started shooting at about 6 and we shot everything from .22s to deer rifles and shotguns regularly, and I used hearing protection for the first time at maybe 45. My hearing is within the normal range at 59 years old.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Links