Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

This is a discussion on Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tinnitus sucks... imagine a mosquito singing to you 24/7, and you cannot kill it....

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

Tinnitus sucks... imagine a mosquito singing to you 24/7, and you cannot kill it.

2. Remove Ads

I fired off a 9mm at an attacking dog once out in the woods. It was a warning shot actually. Same with a .357 another time. The 9mm didn't bother me so much as my adrenaline was running very high. I shot the .357 towards some feral dogs just for chuckles and my ears did ring for a day or so. Neither compared to the ringing in my ears after seeing The Who in 1975 though. That was probably the most auditory damage I've ever done to myself. That, and a Pere Ubu concert in a tiny bar that was so loud everyone moved out to the sidewalk out front by the end of the show. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Clash, all rank right up there, too. Rock concerts will screw up your hearing big time. Of course, we didn't have rap back then, thank God.

I've shot .380acp, 9mm, 40S&W, .38spl, 45acp and 5.56 all without ear protection before. When I used to go shooting in BLM I would make it a point to fire a few rounds here and there without ear protection, mostly to acclimate myself to the loud noise, I figure if I am ever shooting my gun in an SD situation I am not grabbing my ear plugs first, and the last thing I want is to be so startled by the noise that I flinch, pull my gun off target, etc. Except for the 5.56 round, the story with that is we were shooting my .22lr bolt action for a while without ear pro since it was quiet enough, then we decided to switch to my AR-15 and we forgot we had taken our ear plugs out. Took one shot to remember they were out. Handgun rounds are nothing when compared to the sound of a rifle being fired. I would rather shoot 10 rounds of .40 without ear protection than shoot a single round of .223/5.56 without ear protection.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

What ringing??? LOL

I have a lot over the years but the one that sticks out is when I shot a nice whitetail buck with my Browning A-Bolt in .300 Win Mag without any - and I DO remember it well because it was freaking loud. The BOSS muzzle brake on it didn't help any with the sound.

When I was young and dumb I used to go out into the woods and shoot all the time without hearing protection. Yeah, my ears would be ringing. My father who used to shoot with me sometimes is deaf in his right ear, and I think it is because he never wore any either. Great excuse to ignore your wife.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumrob View Post
    Gents,

Out of curiosity, have any of you fired off a round w/o hearing protection with any gun other than a .22LR? I've been around loud stuff all my life but have never shot any centerfire gun (rifle or handgun) without my ears on, whether inside or outside. Wondering if you lost hearing for a while, still have ringing in your ears, etc. I presume you probably regretted it...

If you did, why the heck did you do it?

Thanks much,
    maximumrob
    When I was younger, before I understood the need for hearing protection, and when outdoors, yes, I'd fired (thousands of .22LR) .38sp, .45ACP, 7.62x25mm, and even 8mm mauser roounds in a gravel pit my relatives used to own in rural MI. These days I stick with hearing protection. Thankfully, I didn't do any permanent damage to my hearing as a result of my earlier follies. (I know this because my hearing is still above average.)

Many rounds out of a 5" gun and an 8" gun from my Navy days. That's why the VA gave me hearing aids and my ears ring. Other than the one or two annually (hopefully) at a deer, I always wear muffs. You can't get your hearing back. You guys that are shooting without protection are nuts!

Spent quite a few weekends out shooting in the woods with no hearing protection during my teenage years. .223, .45, 9mm, pretty much all the major calibers. Sometimes I'd go through hundreds of rounds. I also shot my .300 WBY Mag from inside a sheltered range. That one actually physically hurt.

I have substantial hearing loss in my right ear, and a constant ringing. I now use my hearing protection for everything, even the lowly .22. I'm also considering investing in a suppressor for my AR.

Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

All the time hunting outdoors. Only once in an enclosed space, shot a coyote through the passenger window of my vehicle on the farm, wont happen again.......My first thought was why did shooting the gun turn off the radio,

And yes, the window was down.

Generally though, hearing protection is a excellent idea.

No hearing problems, can't see worth a darn though, getting old stinks, but it beats the alternative :-)

Sent from my iPad

When I was young and stupid...no. When I became old and wise...yes. Funny story, a buddy came to my place to "do some shooting" and I offered him hearing protection, his reply was no and couldn't believe I used hearing protection. He mentioned something about me being a wuss. I laughed and said I had learned my lesson. As I took aim with my 1911 from under my pole barn I let em fly down range. At the end of that mag I felt a tapping on my shoulder accompanied by a request for hearing protection...I laughed again and handed him a set of muffs.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Links