Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? - Page 3

Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

This is a discussion on Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sure. I carry a defensive sidearm, not a range toy. And so, my preference is to know what I'm dealing with in the event that ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

Sure. I carry a defensive sidearm, not a range toy. And so, my preference is to know what I'm dealing with in the event that the chips are down and I'm forced to use it. Reality is, in a defensive situation it's going to be used before any hearing protection gets donned. In such a situation I doubt that the sounds are likely to change things: the sounds are very likely to be 'drowned out' by focus on surviving it.

In all, I've fired just several rounds without hearing protection, across 40+ years of shooting. A 10ga and 12ga shotgun, a .243 rifle, a 9mm pistol. Other than that, it's plugs and muffs every time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I think you'll find that most of us old farts didn't use ear-protection, helmets nor seatbelts back 'in the day'.

That's why those of us who survived are deaf as a post.

In the woods/on the stand/in the blind, I've shot a bunch of 20g and 12g without ears. Only thing that ever got unpleasant was being in the blind with two other guys unloading 3 shots each of 12g magnum.

Firing rifles while hunting sometimes got my ears ringing a bit, but usually not bad. One exception is my .300WM with muzzle brake. Not too bad firing off in the open country, but in the woods it hurts the ears, especially of anyone to the sides.

Looong time ago, took my duty Mod 66 to an outdoor range and realized I'd forgotten earplugs. First round of hot issue .357 set my ears ringing like I'd been hit, so I figured I'd shoot it again... they say the male brain doesn't mature before age 25. They're right.

Unloaded the spent casings, let them cool, worked them into my ears, and finished shooting. Better than nothing, I figured. But by then I couldn't hear anyhow.

Since then, I spent over two decades operating really loud stuff and shooting some things a LOT bigger than that .300, but I was always conscientious about hearing protection when possible, and somehow my hearing is still really close to my original baseline.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Unloaded the spent casings, let them cool, worked them into my ears, and finished shooting. Better than nothing, I figured. But by then I couldn't hear anyhow.
    LOL. You can shoot with me any day.
    NH_Esau likes this.

I don't wear hearing protection hunting. But that's of course not repetitive gunfire. You shouldn't make a habit of it and it can be a little painful (especially indoors) but its also good to know what it's going to sound like if you fire your gun in your bedroom should you need to. Once is certainly enough though.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Fired a lot of large caliber rifles while hunting and never noticed the noise. A handgun, on the other hand, definitely gets painful and leaves the ears ringing for a while. I don't suggest it ever unless absolutely necessary.
    Brass63 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

About 2 months ago while shooting a shotgun (12 ga.) stage in a 3 gun match my right ear plug came out about half way through the stage. I was on the boardwalk of a "cowboy town" setting enclosed on 3 sides. It wasn't a pleasant experience that's for sure.

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    It might be an old fart condition - but when I was younger it never bothered me. Now that I am an "old fart" it does so I wear ear protection.

I have done so on a few occasions in the past, but now at the range I wear some type of hearing protection, that is a must.

The first pistol I ever bought and owned is the S&W 39-2 in my avatar picture, purchased in 1982. First time I fired it, I had no hearing protection, I thought I was going deaf, and I was in my late 20's at that time. I vowed never again to shoot it without something to protect my ears. I have fired other guns without and the ringing in ears afterwards just wasn't worth it.

However, in a self defense situation shooting, nobody wears hearing stuff that I know of. That would be the one and only time I would be without it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Many years ago I was being taught about shooting by a man I respected at the time.I thought he knew what he was talking about. He said you do not need hearing protection you will get used to the noise. today I have tinitus and I wear hearing aids. the only time I will shoot without hearing protection will be for selfdefense . You do not get used to the noise, you lose your hearing. It may seem like a small thing to you now , but I sure get tired of haveing to say UH all the time. and it is frustrating to not be able to hear well. Do not risk it Wear something to save your ears. BTW On that day I was shooting a 22 rifle and it changed my life forever!

yes

More than I should probably admit to. hearing protection and hunting don't really work well together. Most of the time it never presented an issue and it is true most of it doesn't even register if the adrenaline has dumped. The one time I was seriously concerned was an incident when a muzzle braked 7mm rem mag ended up about a foot off my left ear due to the way we were positioned on stand and approach angle of animal. After the first bark of the muzzle brake I abandoned the shot and ended up with my head between my knees. While tracking I was disoriented and even asked my father if my ear was bleeding. lesson learned and dad was always more cautious with muzzle location for likely approaches after that.

I always wear ears at work and at the range even with heckling from my peers. If you have the time to plan ahead there is no sense in damaging your hearing unnecessarily. I have shot some stages in action pistol where noticed muzzle noise seems to amplified by surroundings like shooting through a culvert pipe or out of a confined space like a passenger compartment of a car or aircraft when the muzzle does not extend out of the compartment.

not the best indication of the pressure (sound) generated as a bullet exits a muzzle but the fine dust seen in this video does indicate the pattern most of the noise will follow from a muzzle. It is forward and 360 degrees on a vertical axis with the muzzle face.
    1 Million FPS Slow Motion video of Bullet leaving barrel - YouTube

When I was growing up I don't think they had ear protection for shooting, if there was such a thing I didn't know of it. 12 gauge shotguns, 22 and 30-30 rifles, 45 simi-autos and revovers, maybe thats why my ears are always ringing now????
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I have forgotten to put my ears on once or twice. Haven't noticed any loss of hearing, but it does make your ears ring for awhile, I have ringing in my ears all the time, can't say its from the gunfire, probably an accumilation of loud noises over the years.

I have over the years shot a few times without hearing protection on, a few times hunting with my Dad (something I don't do regularly), using a 12 ga., didn't have any ringing or muffled feeling in my ears; and a couple times killing snakes in my yard with my revolver. The first snake I shot (copperhead) it didn't seem to have an effect on my hearing, the second time however, another copperhead, my ears, especially the left, seem to be muffled somewhat for about an hour. My adrenaline was pretty high during the first copperhead encounter, walked past it in my garage, lucky I didn't get bitten. I think the adrenaline may be the reason it didn't have an adverse effect on my ears.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links