Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

This is a discussion on Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm former LE I've shot twice on-duty no time for hearing protection and also while hunting I don't wear hearing protection I have had my ...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

I'm former LE I've shot twice on-duty no time for hearing protection and also while hunting I don't wear hearing protection I have had my hearing testing some what recently and was told I have some hearing loss I don't really notice though.
    "Death Overcomes All"
    "All it takes for Evil to triumph is for Good men to stand by and do nothing"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I shot without hearing protection a lot in the 70's and early 80's, with no damage to my hearing.Reminds me of a former friend that traveled the club circuit for years playing heavy metal.His hearing is still fantastic,go figure. I would not shoot without protection now,why take the risk.
    Yep me too.
    I also worked around jet engines for a couple of years. (Though, ear protection was a requirement.)

I hunted & shot many different caliber firearms without hearing protection in my life. I wear protection at the range. But, if I shoot in the yard I usually go eu'naturel.

For the most part, I don't seem to have suffered anything but natural hearing loss & tinnitus due to aging.

-

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    For me, I don't care if its a .22. Hearing and eye protection always. Besides, electronic shooter headphones can be had inespensively these days. Hearing is too precious as is eyesight. Oh, and the foam ear plugs can be found for ten cents.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I think you'll find that most of us old farts didn't use ear-protection, helmets nor seatbelts back 'in the day'.

That's why those of us who survived are deaf as a post.
    I can't hear you, did you say something...lol

P.S. if you need hearing protection and don't have any; cigarette butts (unsmokes preferably) work in a pinch

I have ringing in my ears from shooting years ago w/o protection and working in my wood shop and not using it as much as I should. Not a good idea.

Donnie D

Yup and I'll never do it again unless I'm in a SD scenario.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

The bigger, heavier calibers can actually make your ears bleed if too many rounds are fired, but the smaller ones, like the .22's will take your hearing away more quickly. Bigger, you could fire a few every now and then just to hear a full power load to be accustomed to it...just in case, but you may lose some hearing.
    I have lost a little, especially in my right ear next to where the rifle would be
    held, from shooting .22 ammo. It's such a sharp report, it takes out the higher end spectrum of your sound range. I would advise always wear protection of at least 22 decible or higher. The muffs offer most protection. Old guy I know that was military wears the mil spec hearing protectors-ear plugs-in his ears that come in the little green container, but he also puts a set sound protection hearing head muffs over them as well.... Once it's gone, it don't come back and you could suffer from tinitus (ringing noise heard all the time).

I have several sets of ear protection for when I mow, weedeat, tractor, shoot and go into loud places. They are cheap so get a bunch and don't let the excuse of "I didn't have any handy" get in the way. Get the kind that come with a little container so you can keep them clean and not lose them and/or grab a handful of the disposable kind.

To answer the OP question, yes many times but it is extremely rare that I will do any practice shooting without plugs or muffs.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    I was a powder-monkey for this:

Yup, we loaded and shot them by hand (old powder bag came up through an elevator in the deck and was separate from projectile), and stood inside that little cabin while firing (leaving that damn little door open did little to alleviate the concussion). I swear your entire head would compress. You can't wear ear protection, if you're wearing sound-powered phones (connected to the bridge and CIC).

Every shot was like getting punched in the face.

Now you know why I am the way I am.
    l1a1, bmcgilvray and atctimmy like this.

Did it a lot when I was a kid growing up, 12 gauge,20 gauge,.270,.357,.380 .22 never paid much attention to it until one day after shooting without ears my little brother said something to me and it sounded like 2 people talking at the same time. Ears rang for a while after that, I definetely learned my lesson and never shot without hearing protection since.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Also have a lot of Rock and Roll related hearing loss. No tinitus though. I accidentally fired a .308 a while back after forgetting to put my ears on. Not so much as a ringing in the ears. That was pretty disconcerting as it showed how much my hearing was really damaged.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I was a powder-monkey for this:

Yup, we loaded and shot them by hand (old powder bag came up through an elevator in the deck and was separate from projectile), and stood inside that little cabin while firing (leaving that damn little door open did little to alleviate the concussion). I swear your entire head would compress. You can't wear ear protection, if you're wearing sound-powered phones (connected to the bridge and CIC).

Every shot was like getting punched in the face.

Now you know why I am the way I am.
    That's one heckuva EDC you had there WHEC!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

once. i was in a hurry to test my new S&W 625/.45ACP, and i didn't made sure i had a good seal on the muffs. the right ear was not properly sealed. fired once into a bullet trap in a small room. that one shot destroyed my high frequency hearing (8000Hz and up) in that ear.

oh, i did shoot many rounds of .308 from an M-14 during my service days. all outdoors, with no apparent permanent damage.

I would not go without hearing protection if at all possible. I would like to keep what hearing I have left after a adulthood of sirens and other loud noises. I am sure the Rock Concerts didn't help any either.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

In no particular order.
    12ga.(hunting)
    .20ga. (hunting)
    .357 (indoors-ouch)
    .22lr
    9mm (surprisingly not too bad)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links