Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? - Page 7

Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

This is a discussion on Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah, I just ripped a mag off without my muffs. Ok. I may have cheated a bit......

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, I just ripped a mag off without my muffs.

Ok. I may have cheated a bit...
    mprp likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yes in a land far away about nine years ago...i pay for it every day .
    The easy way is always mined.

I'm old enough that we didn't have or even consider hearing protection while hunting, shooting, driving race cars or anything. I have a bit of tinnitus, but still hear better than my wife.

Hi ws76133;

Don't know how long you've lived there but some cousins and I used to terrorize the neighbohood around Traillake Drive in the very late 1960s and early 1970s.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yeah, I just ripped a mag off without my muffs.

Ok. I may have cheated a bit...
    LOL nice
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I tried it once when I was in college. I'd been shooting about 5 years. I was at the range by myself with a .40 SW and thought I'd try one magazine without aany hearing protection on/in. I realized after that, that not only should I expect tunnel vision but also reduced hearing, when and if in a shootout. After that, I never did it again; I learned what I wanted from it. I don't know how much permanent damage that did, but I think exposure to rock and roll and loud headphones probably has done more to me than that. Still, I'd never choose to turn down hearing protection again...

Grant Vlasak | Senior Instructor
    GUNCLASSES.NET (A division of Practical Training Solutions, LLC)
    PO Box 23612 | Minneapolis, MN 55423
    612.424.7955 Ext.101
    gvlasak@gunclasses.net | GunClasses.net | Safety and Skills for Peace of Mind

I was exposed to unprotected gun fire at a pretty early age. I remember as a child going with my dad when he sighted in his .30-06 nobody wore hearing protection. Did a lot of squirrel hunting and dove hunting as a kid fired quite a few 12 and 20 ga loads doing that with no hearing protection. These days I always wear hearing protection when target shooting even .22 lr. I still pop off a few 12 ga 22 mag and .30-06 rounds every year when hunting without hearing protection. I no longer do much hunting that has a high round count like dove hunting. I have tinitus in both ears and usually have to sleep with a fan on or some kind of "cover" noise so the ringing doesn't keep me awake. Aside from that my last hearing test showed that Im pretty normal with some hearing loss in the higher frequencys.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Yep.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I was in a friends basement where he does some gunsmithing work. He was testing a .40 that he was working on. We had ears on, he fired a few rounds into the bullet trap. He stopped, to make some adjustments, I thought he was done. I removed the ears and sat down to work on something, and he went back and fired 3 more rounds without telling me.

I now know exactly what using a .40 in my bedroom would sound like...

Twice, never intentionally.

At a USPSA match behind another competitor, I didn't get my muffs on before he shot his compensated .38 super. OUCH! Now I always wear PLUGS and mufffs.

#2 loading .45acp 1911 in my truck, windows up. Hammer followed the slide. BOOM. Had it pointed in a safe direction, no one ouside the vehicle. My finger was NOT on the trigger! Took it to my smith, who put in new hammer & sear to replace the one with the damaged hammer hook. When I traded in the truck I removed the 230gr HydraShok from lower part of the door panel, stopped by some bracing metal.

After that plus decades of music, a few years playing guitar 5 nights a week, I had my hearing tested, and it is exceptional. I can never escape by telling my wife, "sorry Honey... I didn't hear you."
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Lots of times and I'm nearly deaf in my left ear because of it. Please wear hearing protection or you get to listen to a constant ringing in your ears for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSprint View Post
    One thing interesting about the human body is that pain is not a good indicator of whether something is hurting us or not. As was pointed out if your ears ring you did do damage. However if you ear don't ring doesn't mean that you did no damage.

Make we wonder about when I grew up:
    -leaded gasoline
    -asbestos brakes and exhaust
    -lead paint in house
    -lead water main
    -asbestos on basement insulation
    Your first post! Welcome to the forum, please introduce yourself in the new members area..

Quote Originally Posted by JustInCase View Post
    9mm brass make good ear plugs.
    This is intriguing, I have collected some aluminum 9mm shell casing because they look like they would be useful for something (not reloading). But I have yet to find a good use for them. Ear plugs?

kts
    I am acquainted with a number of hunters who generally dismiss the idea of using hearing protection. Apparently, many of them, especially the older ones, are close to being deaf nowadays. This is reason enough for me to use hearing protection as a basic principle, though on a number of occasions I forgot to do so, which I found really painful. I think it once happend with .223, which, compared to other calibers, isn't really loud, so I don't want to imagine how it'd feel like with .50 bmg or something like that.
    I was told by a soldier once that they'd never use hearing protection even though they're obliged to do so... Be that as it may, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Touched off a .44 Magnum in the living room once - that was pretty loud.

I've been hunting for 30 years and don't wear hearing protection in the field. I do wear protection when plinking, sighting in, etc. I have a fair amount of hearing loss at the higher frequencies.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links