Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

This is a discussion on Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HIO WHEC724: the absolute worst that I have found is the old 5" / 38. It would lift iron doors off of the floor. The ...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

HIO WHEC724: the absolute worst that I have found is the old 5" / 38. It would lift iron doors off of the floor. The big 18" ers at Dahlgren were almost pleasant, even standing outside near the muzzle. However it would clean the whiskers off from the back flowing flame.

As for firing pistols etc, bk when I was in the BP (50's) we never used them, I remember firing thousands of full power .357 from my 4" barreled S&W pistol with no problem --- I think?? -- while training in fast draw and long range pistol work.

Of course two wars tended to accustom me to violent explosions.

However I agree, use em when available.

Don Jose de La Mancha

2. Remove Ads

I always shoot any new gun once just to see how loud they are without earplugs. Im just curious as to how loud each gun is. But once when my brother in law came to visit he brung all his guns and we were excited to go shooting and didnt think about the earplugs. We shot anything from 22lr up to 223 in a mini 14. My ears rang fro what seemed to be 3 days afterward. Wont be doing that again anytime soon. What was that dear I couldnt hear you the computer is to loud.

Yep, I'm one of the smart ones who don't use it when I should( can you hear the sarcasm) I will reload a round with new powder or weight and walk out side and fire the round. Yep pure laziness! No excuse. I have always listened to loud music, but this is different. Some days it bugs me other days it does not bother me.

Hi Tech212. Thanks for joining us!

You'll...be...sorrrrrrry...

Later on.

When I was young and dumb nobody I knew ever used hearing protection so neither did I. Many were the weekends when I fired up 500 rounds of warm .38 Special handloads, punctuated with .30-06 shooting with nary a ear plug in sight while simultaneously cranking loud music. Now, 35+ years later I'm paying the price.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I wish I could say I'm young and stupid. But the young part is not true. Just stupid. I'm getting better at ear protection, I want to set a good example for my kids or older teens I should say. Thanks for the advice bmcgilvray.

Of course the odd single shot can't be beneficial to one's hearing but the cumulative effects have proven to be detrimental to me. I still really love to listen to music on a good stereo system but have noticed in recent years that it's not as crisp as it once was. Nothing like gunfire along with the Beatles, Cream, Led Zeppelin cranked up loud, to all diminish one's hearing. One only has a single set of ears to get through life with.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; July 9th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    W h a t ?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Yeah, hunting and accidentally. I have high frequency hearing loss in one ear and tinnitus in both (but the docs can't say why, since I have no hearing loss in one ear but still have the tinnitus in that ear).

I was in a situation were several people were firing guns in an enclosed room once. My ears rang for days.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

TOF
    I don't remember seeing any ear protection devices back in the 50's . They started showing up in the mid to late 60's. I started using plugs or muffs in the 90's. Got rid of my 7MM Mag back in the 60's cause it gave me a headache. I wonder why?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm overly protective of my hearing, so I've never shot any of my guns without ear plugs and ear muffs. The only time I've been exposed to gunfire was when I got out of my car in an outdoor range and someone shot a rifle about 50 feet away. It was a little surprising to say the least.

When I duck hunt, I wear a Walker's GameEar.
    17018890_image.jpg
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Last Halloween I was at the range and forgot my ears. I never shoot without them but in a laps of judgement I decided to sight in a few rifles anyway, including the 444 Marlin. My ears were ringing after. Hours later my left ear was still ringing and my right was back to normal. The next day the left ear was still ringing. Three days after still ringing so I knew I had acoustic trauma. I had one of my nurses give me a B12 injection and a steroid injection (there has been some research suggesting this helps in the first week). The ringing (tinitus) for me was high pitch and loud. At first I couldn't sleep it just kept me up. I used a white noise machine that did help. It has progressively gotten better and now I don't notice it if there is any noise in the room. I dont go aroung loud noise without ears now (even clubs and concerts). They have become part of my EDC. When I hunt I put them on before I shoot. If I could go back to that day I wouldn't have shot.

Like many on here my story involves forgetting plugs. I went to my in-laws with my new gun all excited and forgot hearing protection. I thought, "how bad can it be?"
    Anyone that has shot .45acp can vouch that they aren't quiet (although i think my dads Ruger LCR with .357 mags is much louder). I shot 3 rounds and couldn't hear a thing. I had to stop because it hurt so bad. I was 21 and had blasted subs and worked in a body shop and a mechanic shop using DA's, impacts, air hammers and everything without a problem. For the next 3 days I had a muffled hearing. Then for the next 2 months I would randomly get ringing for 2-5 seconds where all I could hear was ringing. My hearing seems fine now but I will NEVER NEVER NEVER shoot without ears on again!

Quote Originally Posted by maximumrob View Post
    Gents,

Out of curiosity, have any of you fired off a round w/o hearing protection with any gun other than a .22LR? I've been around loud stuff all my life but have never shot any centerfire gun (rifle or handgun) without my ears on, whether inside or outside. Wondering if you lost hearing for a while, still have ringing in your ears, etc. I presume you probably regretted it...

If you did, why the heck did you do it?

Thanks much,
    maximumrob
    As an 0311/31 I choose to not use ear pro in order to better hear commands. After 4 years of shooting a m249 (5.56) and who knows how many rounds I am very hard of hearing.

They score it with 100 being deaf. My right ear is 80 something and my left ear is 60 something. As I type this the ringing in my ears drowns out most of the noise in the room. I recommend using ear pro unless you are in a similar situation.

If I am practicing outside I will use no buds but indoors I use buds.
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Links