Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

This is a discussion on Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gents, Out of curiosity, have any of you fired off a round w/o hearing protection with any gun other than a .22LR? I've been around ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

Anybody fired off a round w/o hearing protection?

Gents,

Out of curiosity, have any of you fired off a round w/o hearing protection with any gun other than a .22LR? I've been around loud stuff all my life but have never shot any centerfire gun (rifle or handgun) without my ears on, whether inside or outside. Wondering if you lost hearing for a while, still have ringing in your ears, etc. I presume you probably regretted it...

If you did, why the heck did you do it?

Thanks much,
    maximumrob

2. Remove Ads

When active LEO, I had to fire my weapon a few times without ears, you don't have time to think or worry about your hearing at that point. My hearing was already pretty shot from Vietnam prior to going on the police force. I noticed that after shooting without the ears, I could hear two different levels of the same sound. It's best to use the ears whenever possible, as any loud noise of any kind can rob you of hearing.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

There are going to be several reasons why people shoot without hearing protection

-Hunting, though most say they never hear the shot or feel the recoil when dropping the hammer on a trophy animal
    -Combat vets
    -Accidental, I think if you have access to any sort of facility other than an indoor public range you are bound to be caught in a situation where a gun goes boom and you aren't quite ready for it.
    -Suppressor use makes shooting without ears much more pleasant
    claude clay and W9HDG like this.

shooting w/o hearing protection

a few months ago I bought a new 380 Walther pk and when I got home I was so excited I loaded it a shot it twice w/o my protection. Believe me I will not forget again. I can't believe how loud my ears rang for about 15 minutes. But it did eventually go away.

did it...didn't like it....try not to do it any more

Shot:

16 .22lr out of youth rifle
    38 9mm quick draws 4.25 bbl
    10 7.7 x 58mm out of a type 99
    5 3" 12 guage 00 buck from 20"
    5 2 3/4" 12 guage 00 buck from 20"

all today without plugs because I allways forget them. My ears rang a bit from the 3" shotgun rounds but its "fine". Just dont do it in confided spaces, only open. I mean it do not do confined spaces not even one round.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

VIP Member
    I'm guessing anyone who spent their military career in a combat arms MOS has a fair amount of tinnitus. I certainly do.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Yeah, outside with the 20ga just "plinking" in the woods. It was stupid, but being outside, not too terrible.

I was at an outdoor range (under a pavilion) sighting in a rifle and a guy -who I thought was leaving- shot off a couple rounds of .454 after I took my ears out (we were the only people there). That was uncomfortable to say the least. They buzzed a few minutes and it went away.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Yup, been there done that. It was the quietest night in my life, I couldn't hear my wife :D
    Badey, Spirit51, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.

I have a couple of times.

1. Hunting - 12 ga. #7 shot, high brass. I was squirrel hunting, and it was my first kill. I never heard it, and my ears didn't ring.

2. In the woods with some friends, and had some old Hydroshoks in my spare carry mag. I shot 11 rounds of .40 federal hydroshock, and my ears didn't feel right until the next day. I decided I would never fire my gun without hearing protection again if I could help it.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I shot without hearing protection a lot in the 70's and early 80's, with no damage to my hearing.Reminds me of a former friend that traveled the club circuit for years playing heavy metal.His hearing is still fantastic,go figure. I would not shoot without protection now,why take the risk.
    bmcgilvray and tcox4freedom like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    WHAT?!!!
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

All the time when I hunt.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumrob View Post
    Gents,

Out of curiosity, have any of you fired off a round w/o hearing protection with any gun other than a .22LR? I've been around loud stuff all my life but have never shot any centerfire gun (rifle or handgun) without my ears on, whether inside or outside. Wondering if you lost hearing for a while, still have ringing in your ears, etc. I presume you probably regretted it...

If you did, why the heck did you do it?

Thanks much,
    maximumrob
    Yes, Yes aaaand yes!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

P95
    Been shooting for 40 years and never used any protection. Shot lots of different calibers....from my 9mm to my 270. No problems with my hearing.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links