City maintaining list of firearms owners?

This is a discussion on City maintaining list of firearms owners? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in Springdale, AR and have a amature radio license as well as a concealed carry license. I listen to the police scanner often ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: City maintaining list of firearms owners?

Exclamation City maintaining list of firearms owners?

I live in Springdale, AR and have a amature radio license as well as a concealed carry license. I listen to the police scanner often and have noticed something the past few months. When doing a background check on some one they will often come back with one of these 3 statements:
    1. Pawner of fire arms.
    2. Pawner of knives or swords.
    3. Pawner of archery equipment.
    We aren't talking about illegal pawning, just pawning. This happens on routine traffic stops as well as other calls. No other past criminal behaviors most of the time but they were still flagged. I've known that they keep a log of when fire arms are located in a home as well as exact locations of them. They also do this if you have security cameras on your property including their locations and where they are monitored. This usually falls into the " officer safety" info passed along from dispatch. But I thought it was illegal for a govenment agency, especially locally, to maintain lists of fire arms owners. With people in this economy having trouble making ends meet, pawning a fire arm for a couple of weeks to pay the electric bill isn't a crime. I am not a criminal and have never been in trouble in my life, but I have pawned a gun for a short period of time. I have heard the NRA has addressed this in other communities with success. Can anyone give me some more information on this practice and how I can get the NRA involved?
    Thanks
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

2. Remove Ads

Since you live in Springdale (and I used to myself), and I live in Fayetteville now..........I think that you and I need to talk on a more personal level and maybe get together? It's my experience in larger cities that pawn shop lists go to local PD to check for stolen. You may be more aware of things than I am there since I've pretty much written Springdale off the list of places I would ever reside again. For what it's worth......we're close. Be that as it may.
    PM me any time.

Yeah I am aware of the practice for checking on stolen merchandise, but they aren't talking about that. I suspect they are using the lists provided to create their own list of private citizens who own weapons under the guise of "officer safety". Like I said I think it is illegal. My dog (chiuaua) sometimes nips at people that suprise it when they come in, I would think that would be an issue of officer safety as well since they might come to my house sometime if I call them to report a crime. Got steak knives and a weed eater too. Years ago I pawned a Huey Lewis cd, that probably put me on the list. I wonder if they would tell some one if they called and asked if they were flagged for officer safety because they pawned their deer rifle?
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

Doesn't the law against registration say .... NO Govt agency can keep a data base or record that would link firearm owners and the guns they own , or that they own guns ?
    rdpG19 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Exactly what I thought.
    Don't get me wrong, I support local LEO fully. They have to deal with a lot crap and stupid people, but I don't believe in compromising our rights.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBob View Post
    Exactly what I thought.
    Don't get me wrong, I support local LEO fully. They have to deal with a lot crap and stupid people, but I don't believe in compromising our rights.

You have the burden of proof at this point. Believe me....Springdale has a way of covering their assets and then some. Way I see it you'll never get one up on them. I sat through many council meetings back in the day, and many petitions before city council as a property owner myself. Everything seems to be a compromise these days. You've just got to know when you're under the gun or handling it.

Heck I guess a person could record it. I have a Roku player and have a channel for radioreference.com and it streams Springdale as well as my scanner. So anyone can hear them doing this. It happens every day, almost every hour or two. And as I said before, I would rather let the NRA fight these sort of battles. That is part of what my paid dues are for. Definitely don't want to get on the radar with them so to speak. Most seem like decent guys but there are a couple that I know aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

You have the burden of proof at this point. Believe me....Springdale has a way of covering their assets and then some. Way I see it you'll never get one up on them. I sat through many council meetings back in the day, and many petitions before city council as a property owner myself. Everything seems to be a compromise these days. You've just got to know when you're under the gun or handling it.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

....Years ago I pawned a Huey Lewis cd, that probably put me on the list....
    The fact that you are admitting you owned a Huey Lewis CD at any point definitely puts you on a list.

just kidding.
    NH_Esau likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Doesn't the law against registration say .... NO Govt agency can keep a data base or record that would link firearm owners and the guns they own , or that they own guns ?
    When you go to the LGS and buy a gun on your license, how many copies are there of that form that has all your information on it along with the serial number of the gun?

Police need to be policed, keeps the bad ones honest, record everything

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    When you go to the LGS and buy a gun on your license, how many copies are there of that form that has all your information on it along with the serial number of the gun?

All those copies of paperwork, phone calls for background check, etc. are not done for nothing. The paperwork is not thrown out in the trash. The LGS keeps a copy, you get a copy, where do the other copies go?? The government knows more about you and I then what we might think, IMO!
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Years ago I pawned a Huey Lewis cd, that probably put me on the list.
    No offense, but if you owned a Huey Lewis CD, you deserved to be put on a list. (Mandatory emoticonfuser to make sure everyone knows this is a joke )

Edit: Bug guy beat me to the punch.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Your LGS/FFL retains the only copy of the 4473 and is obliged to keep it on file for no less than 20 years. If an NICS check is made, but the firearm is not transferred for any reason, the 4473 must be retained for no less than 5 years. The FFL is not required to routinely forward copies of the 4473 to anyone.
    That being said, should you wish to purchase two or more handguns in any consecutive 5 (business) day period, the FFL is obliged to complete a form 3310.4 to document the sale of multiple handguns and must forward a copy to the ATF and a copy to the State Police or local Police department by the end of the business day during which the transaction occurred. --- so if you want to buy more than one handgun and wish to avoid the extra documentation, buy one, wait 6 business days, buy another.

Just reply, "Since I pawned them all off, I don't have any more."

or (my personal favorite)

"I lost all of my firearms in a terrible boating accident."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

IMO Some jurisdictions abuse a persons right to be secure in their papers and personal effects under the guise of "Officer safety". The fact that a person use a pawn shop is and should remain personal and confedential information. I've looked at this from as many angles as I could. I do not see how any of this information could contribute to officer safety. If someone can see this connect I'd love to hear it. This sounds like some group sitting around having a what if session, then coming up with this technique.

I'm curious to know what the crime stat's or what kind of criminal element frequents this locale. Subject is a pawner of bow's n arrows?... Seriously?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links