Finally Got To Fire My C.O.P. (Compact Offduty Police) This Weekend! (Range Report)

Finally Got To Fire My C.O.P. (Compact Offduty Police) This Weekend! (Range Report)

This is a discussion on Finally Got To Fire My C.O.P. (Compact Offduty Police) This Weekend! (Range Report) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've had it for at least a year and finally made it go "BANG" yesterday. Contrary to several warnings from members of this fine forum ...

Thread: Finally Got To Fire My C.O.P. (Compact Offduty Police) This Weekend! (Range Report)

VIP Member

Smile Finally Got To Fire My C.O.P. (Compact Offduty Police) This Weekend! (Range Report)

I've had it for at least a year and finally made it go "BANG" yesterday.

Contrary to several warnings from members of this fine forum it shot, and shot well.

It only went "BANG" once with each trigger pull, there had been reports of all four barrels firing at the same time.

Accuracy wise, I heard a satisfying "PING" on the popper I placed at 25 yards on at least 90% of the rounds I sent down range.

Recoil? I tried a cross section of ammo ranging from light target, to +P, to full power .357's and found it to be quite manageable. My vintage Colt Cobra hurt more with the +P's than the C.O.P. did.

I even had a holster made for it. It turns out that Tex Shoemaker still has a dummy C.O.P. and will make pretty much any style of holster for it on request. They didn't have a holster in stock for it when I placed the order, go figure.

The only real downside (apart from the weight, think brick) was the BRUTAL TRIGGER pull. Absolutely zero chance of an ND with this pistol.

Would I carry it as an EDC? Probably not. For the size and weight I'd stick to a J Frame or my Detective Special or Cobra.

Am I glad I got it? You bet. It's still fun to shoot and definitely has the "WOW" factor from all the comments I received.

For those that don't know what a C.O.P. is...............COP .357 Derringer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

My brother has one of these guys....it's way too heavy and the trigger is crazy stiff. But...it's just such a cool little pistol, I've shot his several times kinda reminded me of shooting my old 223 TC recoil wise.

jyo
    I remember shooting the COP pistols-way back, 20+ years ago-thick-heavy-really stiff trigger-not really that practical---but still people want 'em---just not me...

Sponsored Links