Building a modest inexpensive WWII collection

This is a discussion on Building a modest inexpensive WWII collection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I didn't really start out to do this some 25 years ago when I bought my 03A3, but recently had opportunity to buy a war ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BamaT

Thread: Building a modest inexpensive WWII collection

I didn't really start out to do this some 25 years ago when I bought my 03A3, but recently had opportunity to buy a war time production Browning model 1922 with the German proof marks on it, chambered for 32 ACP. It has the German eagle on it, and is stamped Wa140, paid a couple hundred dollars for it. Just a couple of weeks ago, I bought a Moisin Nagant made in 1939, with the Soviet star on it, indicating that it was produced in the Tula factory. Bore looked in great shape. I've seen a number of these that were in fair to rough condition, this one looks to be in overall good shape.

So now I've got a small collection started, with less than $500 invested. Granted the last two are not high dollar, highly desirable collector pieces, but they are interesting to me. 03A3 has 2 groove barrel, made in 1942 in very good to excellent condition.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    O3A3 are great shooters, one of my favorite rifles. That Nagant is nothing to sneeze at, you get a lot of gun for the money.

Congratulations on your collection, I'm betting it will grow.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have a 1943 ivishki mosen nagant, great bore and shooter, a great freedom fighter. My most reicent rifle is a early type 99 japenese rifle in 7.7 x 58 that my gpa gave me for shipping price. Its a mint rifle that is very acurate. These are found up to $600 bucks with mine around there. The father in law has a mauser $300 and a m1 garand(holy grail) $1000 and a new thomson $1800. Out of all these guns the jap one is the coolest becuase of the extras, monopod, barrel plug, anti aircraft sights, rare, but the m1 is my favorite. I am building a collection as well one gun at a time.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Go for it now for they won't get any cheaper. There's no way I could afford to reassemble the modest World War II collection of U.S. military firearms I began when I was 18. The neato thing about most nations' World War II equipment is that it is still so shootable and genuinely useful.

Please tell more about that 1942 dated '03A3. That's a very early example of that variant of the 1903 Springfield series. Detailed description of the barrel markings with complete date, manufacturer, along with some photos would be appreciated.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    You have a fine collection going there and some very good selections suggested. One other rifle I would add is the M-1 Carbine.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I used to look down my nose at milsurps other than the Garand and the M1 Carbine. Then I handled a friend's Swiss K-31 Schmidt-Rubin, and I just fell in love with the design and the machining. That opened my eyes to some solid shooters with history behind 'em - what's not to like? I have my eyes open for a good 1917 Enfield, British Enfields, and maybe some Yugo Mausers.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Oo yeah the father in law has a no 4 mk 1 enfeild $300. All millsurps are great guns with good history, they just need cheap ammo like the mosen nagant
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Go for it now for they won't get any cheaper. There's no way I could afford to reassemble the modest World War II collection of U.S. military firearms I began when I was 18. The neato thing about most nations' World War II equipment is that it is still so shootable and genuinely useful.

Please tell more about that 1942 dated '03A3. That's a very early example of that variant of the 1903 Springfield series. Detailed description of the barrel markings with complete date, manufacturer, along with some photos would be appreciated.
    My apologies on the date, it was Dec 43, not 42, stamped on top of barrel behind front sight. It has RA right behind front sight, the receiver is stamped with U.S. Remington Model 03A3, serial # 4203131. Left side of stock right above the trigger is imprinted with RA, a symbol I'm not familiar with, and F JA in a box, except without the bottom line. I'll get pictures posted later. The parkerizing is a greenish color, and has a peep rear sight,not the barrel mounted sight. It is a 2 groove barrel.

Great! And, those 2-groove barrels will shoot "a house afire too." 1942 would have been a bit early for a Remington '03A3 with a 2-groove barrel.

FJA = Frank J. Atwood, an inspector's mark found on lots of World War II small arms. The symbol may be the ordnance mark, crossed cannon inside a wheel. RA is Raritan Arsenal, an Army facility from World War I to the early 1960s. It was located in New Jersey. Awaiting some good photos!

Love 03A3's. My first rifle was a Smith Corona '03A3, acquired when I was 18. Took my first two deer with it that year. That was in 1975. It served as my rifle for high-power competition in the very early 1980s. I still have it.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links