Ruger 10/22 Barrel's, What would you recommend

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 Barrel's, What would you recommend within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am rebuilding a Ruger 10/22, and am at the stage that I want to put on a decent barrel since I already have the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22 Barrel's, What would you recommend

Ruger 10/22 Barrel's, What would you recommend

I am rebuilding a Ruger 10/22, and am at the stage that I want to put on a decent barrel since I already have the match grade trigger and a new stock thanks to great trade.

I am seeking advice on what barrel I should go with. I am looking for accuracy first and foremost, and of course cost. I don't want to spend more than $150, less if possible. The gun is all black, so a blued barrel is fine and may save a few bucks. I have looked at GreenMountain barrels along with a few others, but even then there are many to go with - so I really would like help narrowing down my options and getting reports from people that know a bit more than me.

Thanks.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I am rebuilding a Ruger 10/22, and am at the stage that I want to put on a decent barrel since I already have the match grade trigger and a new stock thanks to great trade.

I am seeking advice on what barrel I should go with. I am looking for accuracy first and foremost, and of course cost. I don't want to spend more than $150, less if possible. The gun is all black, so a blued barrel is fine and may save a few bucks. I have looked at GreenMountain barrels along with a few others, but even then there are many to go with - so I really would like help narrowing down my options and getting reports from people that know a bit more than me.

Thanks.
    I like Green Mountain. I have had barrels made by them for a long time including my 10/22's. Cool thing is I live a few miles away from them and I get to talk to them directly.

I think everyone else like GM as well. Every last model seems to be out of stock.

I have two GM barrels... they shoot well. But it depends on what you want your gun to do! I have 5 10/22s, and I started using my accurized Sporter for a steel-plate "tactical" game my club runs, and the tight Bentz chamber resulted in too many jams when I was shooting rapid fire. Ammo plays a part in it, as well. I'd say a pricey barrel isn't worth the extra cost if you're just going to shoot bulk-pack ammo (Blazer [ugh], Winchester Wildcat, or the cheapie Federal stuff)... I can shoot almost as well with a stock barrel, a trigger job and a scope as I can with my GM barreled guns if I'm using run-of-the-mill ammo.

But the GM barrels are great... just don't make my mistake of getting one that's too long. .22 LR reaches its max velocity in barrels no longer than 16-18 inches, so skip that 20-incher. I put one of those on my first 10/22 build, and after a weekend at an Appleseed shoot I was really tired of how unbalanced the gun was with so much weight forward. My sporter runs an 18" fluted barrel, and I'd be willing to go even lighter (like a tapered barrel) if I was building a gun for just field use.

Stop over at rimfirecentral.com to learn lots about 10/22 mods, and don't overlook a simple re-chambering of your stock barrel by guys like Nemo or Randy at CT Precision Chambering - those services can be very cost-effective.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have an Adams and Bennett heavy barrel that shoots well. As far as a recommendation, unless you already have a new stock for a .920 barrel, I would go with a barrel set-back and rechambering, like Gasmitty said. Look at rimfirecentral.com under their barrel forum, you should see several options there for rechambering. Nemo, Que, Randy at CPC are 3 that I know of. They will shoot with the heavy barrels, without the weight.

GM barrels are fine and reasonably priced. For around $50 more the ERShaw barrels are a good step up IMO. I only build heavy barrel target models. I know what I like, and your budget of $150 is just about right. If you want more info than you can handle, check out rimfirecentral.com I'm there every now and then myself. I'm geared more towards silhouette than just plinking.

There must be a conspiracy against me! I can not find a 10/22 barrel in stock anywhere.

I am mostly wanting this as a target gun, it will not be ideal for plinking or rapid fire. If I set it up and sit tight, maybe (big maybe) a few groundhogs. Mostly bench rest target enjoyment, and high accuracy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I have seen several on EBay recently. I do see eabco and shootersdiscount still have some in stock. I would stick to the 16.5-18" length barrels.

Thanks for the leads, I will have to check those sites when I am not at work!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

HCF
    As most stated GM barrel and trigger job. With just few mods as GM barrel, trigger job, buffer, Simmons 10/22 A/O scope it turned mine into a tack driver perfect for plinking and varmints

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    ^^^Simmons glass???^^^
    Has Simmons undergone a transformation I'm unaware of?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    ^^^Simmons glass???^^^
    Has Simmons undergone a transformation I'm unaware of?
    It's been a while since I bought one, but for a 10-22 mine was just fine.

FYI for all:In the local news Green Mountain said they are going into 24 hour production. (for all barrels). I was going to stop by next week and chat with a fellow before I move. I will inquire about the 10/22 barrels.

My 10/22 has a Clerke Bull barrel that has done well for me..

Sent from this... Using that...

Green Mountain actually had one in stock on their web page - ordered it as soon as I saw it, no second thoughts.

The barrel I got is HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links