transfering a gun, tx-wa

This is a discussion on transfering a gun, tx-wa within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hey all, a buddy of mine is in the marines, current cpl holder and was stationed down in texas, where he purchased a xdm 9mm. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Charlie-Echo-Kilo
  • 1 Post By Charlie-Echo-Kilo

Thread: transfering a gun, tx-wa

transfering a gun, tx-wa

hey all, a buddy of mine is in the marines, current cpl holder and was stationed down in texas, where he purchased a xdm 9mm. before his last trip to afghan he was in town here in washington, and i was going to buy his pistol off him, how would i go about that? im a current cpl holder as well..

2. Remove Ads

i guess what im saying is, the guns here, as far as i know wa accepts TX CPL. can we go and transfer it at a ffl?

New Member Array Charlie-Echo-Kilo's Avatar
    Out of state private sales will need to be transferred through your local FFL. However, you should confirm concealed weapon reciprocity -- Texas honors Washington CPL, but according to the Washington State Office of the Attorney General, Washington does not honor Texas CPL.

Concealed Weapon Reciprocity
    Hopyard likes this.

even still he can transport it unloaded, which meets transportation laws, just trying to figure out the easiest way to go upon it. guess i could go with the "just dont get caught and have them run the numbers" but i wouldn't want to risk it, it would be mostly just to the gun range and back, not as a carry.

To clarify, confirming concealed weapon reciprocity is not a factor in the sale, the intent was if your friend decided to conceal carry in WA with a TX CPL. Contact a local FFL and inquire about making the transfer.

VIP Member
    Unless WA requires the registration of guns, the only thing that has to be done is pay him and take possession, provided your doing it face to face. If he is currently in TX and the gun is there as well. He would have to ship it through a FFL to a FFL in WA.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

here in washington gun transfers are not required, the guns is up here. i'm just not sure if it has to be registered, since its an out of state gun.

Gun registration is not required in Washington state and FFL transfers are not required for a private sale if the parties involved are residents of the state.

ATF FAQ: An individual may only sell/transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state.

Federal requirement is to transfer an out of state private sale through FFL. Federal law supersedes state law. I am not a lawyer and correct me if I am wrong, but if the handgun was purchased in Texas and owned by a resident of that state, that would make it a out of state private sale even if the handgun is currently located in Washington state.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KARMA724 View Post
    Gun registration is not required in Washington state and FFL transfers are not required for a private sale if the parties involved are residents of the state.

ATF FAQ: An individual may only sell/transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state.

Federal requirement is to transfer an out of state private sale through FFL. Federal law supersedes state law. I am not a lawyer and correct me if I am wrong, but if the handgun was purchased in Texas and owned by a resident of that state, that would make it a out of state private sale even if the handgun is currently located in Washington state.
    The seller is in the military. Puts him in a different status. He can maintain his WA resident status, and still purchase weapons in the state he is stationed in. I retained my Indiana residency for my first 12 years in the AF. I was able to purchase guns using my military ID and proof of assignment to the state they were purchased in (PCS orders). Perfectly legal.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

@archer51: You're right, the seller is military and that puts him in a different status. I did not take that into consideration... BUT did the seller actually keep his Washington state residency or did he change it? He has a Texas Concealed Handgun License, is it a NON-RESIDENT license? Details that we are currently not aware of. OP should confirm seller's status and verify requirements with LE.
    Last edited by Charlie-Echo-Kilo; June 23rd, 2012 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unless WA requires the registration of guns, the only thing that has to be done is pay him and take possession, provided your doing it face to face. If he is currently in TX and the gun is there as well. He would have to ship it through a FFL to a FFL in WA.
    In this case you ship it to buyers state ffl, useing the sellers state ffl will only waste money and is not required. All carriers will ship a long gun but usps will not ship a pistol. Dont use usps they are too expencive it took $55 to ship from fl to ks but it only took $25 for ups. This is all on atf's website and easy to read.

Regarding the op, take a look at atf's web site as those are the law's that appy as well as the buyers state law. It sounds like all you need is to be leagally able to own a gun and it will be fine, but check on atfs laws first.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xfan28 View Post
    even still he can transport it unloaded, which meets transportation laws, just trying to figure out the easiest way to go upon it. guess i could go with the "just dont get caught and have them run the numbers" but i wouldn't want to risk it, it would be mostly just to the gun range and back, not as a carry.
    The last part has nothing to do with the overall legality of the situation.

I think you guys are on the edges of where the law is. Anytime someone says "just don't get caught"
    it is a sure sign they know or suspect that what they are doing isn't quite Hoyle.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Today I got ahold of a gentleman at my local FFL, he informed me that we can go down there and get it all taken care of. Tax free since its a private party sale, just have to pay for the transfer fees.

Links