Should I SELL or KEEP my .30-06 hunting rifle?

This is a discussion on Should I SELL or KEEP my .30-06 hunting rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Should I SELL or KEEP my .30-06 hunting rifle? It's a Model 742 'Woodsman' by Remington, semi-auto, 5-shot capacity. I have NEVER used it for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Should I SELL or KEEP my .30-06 hunting rifle?

Should I SELL or KEEP my .30-06 hunting rifle?

Should I SELL or KEEP my .30-06 hunting rifle? It's a Model 742 'Woodsman' by Remington, semi-auto, 5-shot capacity. I have NEVER used it for hunting (or anything, except sighting it in). I'm thinking it's not the best SHTF gun. So I am leaning towards selling it.

But I am seeking advice from the wise sages here, that might convince me to keep it. It does have some serious firepower, but I am thinking a AR-style .223 might be better to have in the closet.

What say you?

Thanks for any comments.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Keep the 06 and get a AR 15, that way you have both :)

I love my 06 and have no intention of getting rid of it.

I passed up a 742 years ago and have been kicking myself ever since. My friend has one and I keep begging for him to sell it to me, he isn't going for it. I'd keep it its a semi auto, 5 shots very quickly of some heavy lead.

Rich

The .30-06 has been a pretty distinguished combat cartridge for a few years now. It's got more energy at 400 yards than the .223 would have at the muzzle. I agree with W9HDG - keep the -06 and get an AR if you really want one.
    phreddy, msgt/ret and Eagleks like this.

Or sell it to me for 200.00 and that Camaro for 5000.00. I even fly to RI and pick em up.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

FWIW.. Your Remington's value is just shy of $300. My advice is hang onto it for the very reason you stated. Serious firepower.
    But, that's me.... I don't like getting rid of any of my guns... When I have, I usually regret it.

I should mention that I have two 742's...one .30-06, and one .243. My main hunting rifle is my Browning A-Bolt also in .30-06
    hinkleid likes this.

I'm not into keeping guns that are never used. The AR is much more versatile - cheap plinking, home defense, hunting, SHTF, fun to shoot. There's a difference in what the books say a gun is worth and what you'll actually get for it. Find out if it will put a big enough dent in the AR fund to be worth selling and also factor in someone else may actually get some enjoyment out of it instead of it sitting in a closet - while some find them desirable, it's not a collectible. Just did a quick search and apparently those guns tend to beat themselves to death as the metal for the rails is too soft. Remington had an exchange program, but it ended in 99. Doesn't sound like it would be worth anything as a SHTF gun anyway.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Like everyone said, go for a AR-15 :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Terol is right, depending on condition, it is worth between $200-300. I would say its value as a hunting rifle is worth more than you will get for it to go towards an AR. I would say keep it and save a few extra months for the AR.

Oh, and if you want, you can get 10 round mags. But they were around $30 at the last gun show I went to.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terol View Post
    FWIW.. Your Remington's value is just shy of $300. My advice is hang onto it for the very reason you stated. Serious firepower.
    But, that's me.... I don't like getting rid of any of my guns... When I have, I usually regret it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My dad had the 742 BDL, brother has the ADL. Nephew is in "custody" of dads at the present

If it is in VG to pristine shape, and is aBDL{Basket weave checkering} and a forearm that tapers out(gets bigger) as it goes toward the barrel you have a $300+/- $50-75. Scope add $60-80. Depending on your area for resale

ADL is $50-75 less.

IF,IF you never plan on using it for hunting, & don't have any offspring that want a real nice rifle to hunt with, sell it and save $1500 & get an AR in .308.That way you are approaching the ".06 in firepower and you get your AR.
    Fooey on the 5.56
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

30-06 hunting rifle is a fine weapon to own and if taken care of loses no real value over time and may even increase.
    If you want an AR/M4 type save up and grab one but keep the 30-06 hunting rifle
    You ask.

VIP Member
    I can't give you wise or sage advice on this, or advice based on experience. I can give you
    advice based on my emotions, my gut feeling. My last experience with 30.06 was with a Garand
    a couple of lifetimes ago. Keep the 30.06 if you have room for it. Someone said you can get
    10 rnd magazines for it; do that.

If you have heirs or expect to have heirs, let them inherit it. Meanwhile keep it clean and shiny
    and rust free.

Dunno about that sissy .223 stuff; 06 was good enough for Guadalcanal; keep it.

P.S. I'm not a rifle buff and I'm speaking from emotions on this one.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I should mention that I have two 742's...one .30-06, and one .243. My main hunting rifle is my Browning A-Bolt also in .30-06
    Ditch the Remington and get a Browning A-Bolt in 7 Mag.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Distinguished Member
    I went with an AK47 since it is less fussy about dirt than an AR and the ammo is readily available (although more expensive than it used to be).
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links