OK, I get the Glock thing, but I'm not buying one... or maybe...

This is a discussion on OK, I get the Glock thing, but I'm not buying one... or maybe... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went out with friends and had a good time putting a couple hundred rounds through his various Glocks today - I get it, again. They ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: OK, I get the Glock thing, but I'm not buying one... or maybe...

OK, I get the Glock thing, but I'm not buying one... or maybe...

Went out with friends and had a good time putting a couple hundred rounds through his various Glocks today - I get it, again. They go bang all the time, dang accurate and easy to shoot fast. Hard to dislike a G21 with 13 rounds of .45ACP per mag, and pretty much point to shoot once I adjusted a bit. My biggest gripe with it was that my hands are small enough that it's a stretch to hit the mag release, and I don't like the mag not falling free. I still don't like the trigger on any of them, but it's quick and doesn't hurt accuracy. It's not a bad trigger - it works fine, it just... I can't quite place it, but I don't like it.

But the G36... same trigger, but man, overall I like that pistol. Maybe it's the smaller grip, and the fall-free mag, but it shoots really nice. If anything could convince me to go Glock, it could. And with the Blue discount, it's danger close to an impulse buy.

But again, I'm just not sold on the trigger.

2. Remove Ads

You forgot to mention how homely they are. Someone has to love an ugly gun, just not me... Lol
    darbo likes this.

Hey, large, unshiny guns need luvin' too. Have you tried the SF version of the gun. There's always the rocket connector. Were the mags the older ones instead of the steel lined?

One might look at it in a different light. If Glock's are the greatest handguns ever why would other gun manufactures still be in business.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I didn't like the general feeling of the Glock... texture.. shape... just not for me, I think for that, M&P blew them out of the water.
    msgt/ret, crue2009 and RayBar like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Well, it's a good thing we live in a world of choices. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it.
    miller_man and BurgerBoy like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Believe it or not, some actually prefer the Glock trigger. I'm one of those people. I love the feel of the M&P. Hated the spongy trigger. So I went with Glock. Yup, it's not pretty, and doesn't have the best feel. But I've grown quite fond of mine. So much so that I picked up a second Glock.

I fully expect to get my 3rd Glock this year. Been saving my pennies for a G19 Gen 2.
    Tangle likes this.
    Question Everything!

The only Glock I have is a G36. I don't carry it because I shoot my XD40sc much better. I've got lots of handguns, and have had lots of them come and go, and I always go back to my XD40sc. When you find something that works for you, stop looking.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It's the Glock-36 that started me on my 'Glock journey'...I now have 5.
    I used to hate the look and feel of Glocks, the trigger WILL grow on you.
    I love the simplicity and dependability of Glock, the '36' is my EDC.
    Tangle likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

for a gun no one likes it sure gets talked about a lot

"I used to hate the look and feel of Glocks, the trigger WILL grow on you."

This is probably good advice from retsup99 even though I just can't do it. Too many years of single action automatic shooting makes the Glock trigger just feel like "yuck" to me. The trigger is only the greatest of several attributes I don't like about the Glock.

"Let it grow, let it grow,
    Let it blossom, let it flow"
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Went out with friends and had a good time putting a couple hundred rounds through his various Glocks today - I get it, again. They go bang all the time, dang accurate and easy to shoot fast. Hard to dislike a G21 with 13 rounds of .45ACP per mag, and pretty much point to shoot once I adjusted a bit. My biggest gripe with it was that my hands are small enough that it's a stretch to hit the mag release, and I don't like the mag not falling free. I still don't like the trigger on any of them, but it's quick and doesn't hurt accuracy. It's not a bad trigger - it works fine, it just... I can't quite place it, but I don't like it.

But the G36... same trigger, but man, overall I like that pistol. Maybe it's the smaller grip, and the fall-free mag, but it shoots really nice. If anything could convince me to go Glock, it could. And with the Blue discount, it's danger close to an impulse buy.

But again, I'm just not sold on the trigger.
    Had a G21 for about four years. Hard for me not to turn the pistol to reach the mag release as well. I had siblings for a while....G21 and G30. G30 stuck with me about five years but it was a bit muzzle heavy for me. Luckily I traded both of them off for other things........my G30 got me into a the SIG P220SAO I have today. I honestly can't think of a good reason for me to go back to a 45ACP Glock even though they came out with the slim frames. 45GAP might be okay, but I've amassed too much ammo in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP to start buying another caliber now.
    I figure most folks are a bit turned of by the Glock trigger first time out, and apparently not many are willing to learn it....they would rather change it or get something else. Sort of like buying that first holster.......I figure not many stick with that first holster especially if it isn't comfortable the very first time.
    Think of a world with nothing but Glocks..........or imagine you're deserted on a distant, uncharted island with a tribe of cannibals (tribe amounts to only seven now due to inbreeding and same sex marriages) and wild turkeys and you're starving....find a Glock in the sand, full magazine and two extras (and you know it will work right out of the sand). Would you rather make spears out of twigs and sharpen them on stones than use that Glock and use it effectively? Or would you just use it to scare off the natives and eat one turkey while you make those spears? LOL! All in good fun.
    Ah.....yeah....don't forget.....you're stranded there without your cell phone (not that you'd have a signal anyway).
    WILSON!

Glocks were king of the mountain for a long time,but over the last few years they have slipped down the ranks while others have moved closer to the top..Glocks just aren't the end all polymer handguns anymore because the competition has closed the gap,just the way i see it

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I put a ghost rocket 3.5 pound trigger connector in my G19. Biggggg difference. I love it.
    DoctorBob and MinistrMalic like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I don't understand why Glocks and 1911's are so polarizing. Sure, there are some rabid Glock fanboys that think everything thing else sucks but don't judge the entire Glock ownership base by that small segment of the population. Some people like them, some people don't. If you like them then you should buy one. If you don't like them then your shouldn't. If you like them and someone else doesn't, you shouldn't try to convince them they are wrong. If you don't like them and someone else does, you shouldn't try to convince them they are wrong. Glock is my pistol of choice because of all the ones I have fired and owned I have never had a failure. Does that mean that I wont? Who knows. I find them simplistic which aligns its self well with my philosophy for my gear. To me, Glock is to pistols as hammers are to carpentry or the AK-47 is to rifles. Don't agree? Cool. No problem.
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links