What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer? - Page 2

What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer?

This is a discussion on What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by hinkleid My local FFL guy charges me $10 to fill out the ATF form and do the transfer. You guys are getting ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    My local FFL guy charges me $10 to fill out the ATF form and do the transfer. You guys are getting ripped.
    My FFL is not an LGS. He's a locksmith and charges me $20 as opposed to $40 ($35 transfer, $5 phone call) the LGS weighs on me. It pays to ask around. I found this guy because I took some lock sets to him to rekey, and started talking guns.

GT Distributors is a three store chain out of Austin Texas, with a Dallas, store, and a Rossville, Ga. stores, that do $10 FFL transfers. Why would they do that? They are incredible stores, online sales, and police supplies. When I bought my first online gun from Bud's the closest Bud's "prefered FFL" was GT, and I was surprised to find them to be a $10 transfer. So were did that sale lead to. After be introduced to GT, this year, I have now bought one Gun from them, over $300 in gun related goodies, sent a friend to them for a Colt AR, and another for friend for a home defense Mossberg 500, so how much profit did GT get for this $10 transfer. This is a true story, and you might like to relate this to those that want to hit you for $50 for a tranfer, and they do it with a smile too.

Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    GT Distributors is a three store chain out of Austin Texas, with a Dallas, store, and a Rossville, Ga. stores, that do $10 FFL transfers. Why would they do that? They are incredible stores, online sales, and police supplies. When I bought my first online gun from Bud's the closest Bud's "prefered FFL" was GT, and I was surprised to find them to be a $10 transfer. So were did that sale lead to. After be introduced to GT, this year, I have now bought one Gun from them, over $300 in gun related goodies, sent a friend to them for a Colt AR, and another for friend for a home defense Mossberg 500, so how much profit did GT get for this $10 transfer. This is a true story, and you might like to relate this to those that want to hit you for $50 for a tranfer, and they do it with a smile too.
    It's a shame that some FFL's would rather soak you or persuade you not to send stuff to them when you give a perfect example of a store building a stable REPEAT customer base by treating you right.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

My FFL charges $15 for a transfer and $30 for shipping.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

then they should knock the chip off their shoulders.
    These guys charging $30-40+ are just gouging.
    Maybe you should knock the chip off of your shoulder and vote with your feet. There is nothing wrong with anyone charging whatever they want to for any service and you are free to accept or decline same. To suggest, however, that you somehow know their business better and they are "gouging" or have chips on their shoulders is unfair as a generalization.

Sure, there are some LGS that have "chips on their shoulders", but it is just not the FFL fees, it is their whole attitude.

Please do not condemn an entire group with a generalization. It is case by case, store by store, and that is just the way it is.

Edited to add: I am not trying to come across harsh here, but businesses have costs and they make choices on pricing and everyone is free to accept or decline the proposition offered. I understand, quite well, building loyal customer bases and relationships, and frequent an LGS for that exact reason, and have a great relationship with her. I use her for transfers and purchases, advice, and figure she treats me well on the FFL Transfer Fee. To be honest, I don't even know what her fee is, because I assume she is fair based on her business model.

There is an old saying in business about "being too sharp" and I have lived that way almost all of my life and it has served me well. Your results may differ.

Senior Moderator
    It can't seem to take more than 15min assuming its a straight forward transfer right?
    It'll take 15 minutes for you to fill out the 4473 then call it in to NICS. Then some more time to log the gun in, log it out, file the paperwork. A straight forward transfer is me getting the gun from UPS or Fed Ex, being there to sign for it, placing it somewhere for safekeeping, calling you up to tell you that it is here, once if I get you the first time, or maybe several times playing phone tag.You walk in, complain about the ridiculous 4473 requirement and how the Government doesn't need to be in your business, stand around while I call NICS and get approved. You admire your gun and leave. It took you 15 minutes to fill out the paperwork. You walk out the door assuming that is all there is to it.

Its not. Its all about time. Considering that I only charge 25 to do a transfer, by the time I count how long it took, that 25 bucks starts looking awful small. It looks really small when I do NFA stuff, which is a paperwork nightmare when others charge 50-100.

Most dealers don't do it to make money, they do it as a service to their customers. Some of the local gun-shops in this area don't even mess with transfers because its just not worth it.

I guess the other way to discourage people from using you for a transfer besides the cost is to just get all huffy and frustrated when at the customer when they ask you to do it.
    That would work. The easiest way would be to tell people that you don't do transfers. No sense in ticking anyone off. The reason that they get all huffy and frustrated is because they have to listen to a ration of crap from everyone that doesn't agree with them. It gets old fast. Real fast. I'm not justifying it by any means, but I understand where they are coming from.

I'm small beans. I do maybe 3 transfers a week, more around the holidays or the start of hunting season. To be honest, it they went completely away, I wouldn't care, it wouldn't affect me one bit.

10 bucks for a transfer? I wouldn't do it. Not worth my time. I have better things to do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have been buying the majority of my guns and ammo from one local shop for years. The dealer gives me and other steady customers a break on all prices and/or will beat all other gun store advertised prices. When I order a gun through him there is no transfer fee and if I use him to receive a weapon it is a flat $10 plus the call. We must all remember that the main reason a person goes into business is to make a return on his labor and investment.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    The world works best when everybody is making money.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Good post Hotguns from the other side of the counter. You forgot to mention your record keeping obligations as well.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    Many local dealers are becoming more and more frustrated with people buying guns off the internet from places like gunbroker or buds and having them transferred. Local dealers will usually charge $20-40 to do the transfer paperwork. Obviously they are not making the money from the sale of the gun, but otherwise what am I missing with their frustration? They just have to do the paperwork right? It doesn't actually 'cost' them anything other than the time to stand there and to the paperwork right? They make $40 for doing ~10 minutes of paperwork. It doesn't seem so hateful. My dealer said that it costs him money to do the transfer and said there was some delay because of "the out of state requirements". There are out of state requirements? I thought it was just a matter of sending the FFL info to the sender. I would have bought the gun from him but he didn't have access to this brand. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.
    Time is expensive. It isn't merely the businessman's time, but the cost of operating the business during that
    time--- time taken from other things which might generate money.

The cost of time is the total of the business person's expected salary and benefits for that time period,
    the cost for opening and operating a store during that time period, the cost of insuring that business for that
    time period, of paying the utilities for that time period; and on and on. There are many elements
    which go into the cost of time.

I don't like paying the fee and I don't like having to have the middleman in the transaction. Nevertheless,
    I can't even get a stupidly cursory state mandated inspection of my car done for less than whatever, 15; maybe
    it is up to 17; and they have a big sign in the shop asking to be kind to their underpaid employees and leave a
    tip.

Time and labor are expensive. The old saying, time is money, is apt.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock;2297154Maybe you should knock the[B
    chip off of your shoulde[/B]r and vote with your feet. There is nothing wrong with anyone charging whatever they want to for any service and you are free to accept or decline same. To suggest, however, that you somehow know their business better and they are "gouging" or have chips on their shoulders is unfair as a generalization.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Taken in the context with which I wrote it, my statement still stands, if a LOCAL STOREFRONT DEALER doesn't have what I have in mind, IE: an older firearm
    they shouldn't get all bent out of shape.
    They are free to decline doing the transfer at a reasonable price for that area, but that may eventually come up to bite them in the heiney

Here is my original text from post # 15;

But if he doesn't have an "old pistol/rifle/shotgun" that I want/need and a dealer in Dinglehopper Heights USA has one, at a price I want to pay, then they should knock the chip off their shoulders.
    Now if its a NEW firearm,sold by a dealer in another state for a whole lot cheaper, they should @ least be given the opportunity to knock their price down somewhat, to come close.
    I have done that in the past, with two revolvers.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 24th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    But if he doesn't have an "old pistol/rifle/shotgun" that I want/need and a dealer in Dinglehopper Heights USA has one, at a price I want to pay, then they should knock the chip off their shoulders.
    It seems that you decided you wanted an old shotgun from Dinglehopper Heights, but didn't adequately
    consider that there would be additional costs; some substantial--such as the shipping of the shotgun and
    the services of the FFL. Had those been thought of up front, you might have decided that you really don't
    need that gun from Dinglehopper Heights. Small business people in this country have a hard time making
    it. They compete with big box stores that can easily undercut them. They have to deal with myriads of local
    regulations without benefit of a corporate office full of legal eagles. They can't afford to self-insure.

It is your choice whether or not you need that gun from Dinglehopper Heights and are willing to pay the transfer
    fee. And if you are unhappy with the transfer fee, find someone who will do it for less or don't go through with
    the transfer. But don't bash the small merchant for trying to stay alive. Chances are he is working terribly
    long hours and netting out very little real income or profit, unless he is into specialty service and doing more
    than just the retail sales.

Mrs. H does some paper work for a small family biz. She doesn't get paid; its just family duty. Simple
    correspondence with people who ask for the same information shown on their business web site can eat
    20 minutes or 30 minutes if you are trying to be polite to the customer and give them a personal response and
    allay their concerns. If she weren't retired her time would need to be properly remunerated, including
    amortization of her computer equipment, payment of her phone bills and internet connectivity.

As I wrote earlier, time is money, and I'll add that it is costly. IT may look like the dealer isn't doing much,
    but there is a lot going on; including the need to make sure he stays legal.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

FFL transfer fees ,,,, are the main reason ,,,, I do not buy a lot of guns
    over the Internet. I just think it is stupid to pay the fees,,,,,, you should
    be able to buy straight with out the middle man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    FFL transfer fees ,,,, are the main reason ,,,, I do not buy a lot of guns
    over the Internet. I just think it is stupid to pay the fees,,,,,, you should
    be able to buy straight with out the middle man.
    Good luck with that one. Have you mentioned the idea to your congressman?

Even with the transfer fees though it can still be cheaper sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I'm not a dealer and do not have an FFL but I am a small business owner and have been a retailer in some flavor on many occasions.

As far as looking for hidden costs, don't. The cost is not hidden. It is called the cost of doing business.

"They're already standing there." Yes "they" are, and every minute that an employee is standing and not selling is costing the business money. It may not be a lot but it is outflow with out inflow. The same is true if it is the Owner/operator you are talking to. The more volume in sales a shop does, the less they have to charge for their products and services to make a profit. If a gun shop spends a good amount of time doing transfers with out sales, the transfers necessarily cost more to do.

$0.02
    I guess it depends if they can make more than $25 in the time it takes them to do the transfer paperwork for me. If not, then it's a net gain for their time. This IS a sale and without even having to invest in product. Now How much money this sale brings in compared to a product sale I can't say. But it's not outflow without inflow because a they are charging a fee for the service.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links