What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer? - Page 5

What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer?

This is a discussion on What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by luvmy40 This is only vaguely thread related but; Are there states that charge the FFL for the NICS check? I remember a ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    This is only vaguely thread related but; Are there states that charge the FFL for the NICS check? I remember a sign in a gun shop in Norfolk, VA that said there would be a charge($10.00 IIRC) for a denied NICS response. I've never seen that anywhere else.
    Tennessee Bureau of Investigation charges $10 to run the background check. That gets passed on directly and is not included in gun prices.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, World Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Do you go to work for free? We don't around here. If you are my friend, I will gladly help you for free if it is just some work. If you are my customer, you are engaging in business; and business is the transfer of money for goods or SERVICES.

We charge $20 for transfers.
    I never said I wanted anything for free. Please show me where I suggested that. I just said that there is no actual cost to the dealer (not saying their time isn't worth something) such as a transaction fee for them to register the gun. My complaint is that I've paid my dealer through my lifetime membership (which includes free transfers) and now after being a member for several years and finally transferring 1 gun in 3 years after buying 4 guns from him I got quite a bit of hassle from him about it and it was rather frustrating. No telling how long it will take to finally get it registered now. I've paid other dealers for transfers and it went quite smoothly. I'd consider $20 quite reasonable.

Lead Moderator
    All I know is my FFL only charges $5 for transfer fee (handgun or long gun). He told me he hates gouging people and is not in it to make a lot of money. He said it's mainly a hobby and mostly as a gunsmith. He doesn't have a sales inventory but will order something at the best price "he" can get. Which obviously isn't going to have much of a discount. But he has handled two transfers of firearms I've bought off of gunbroker.com and was happy to do it. His full time job is as an active duty Air Force Chaplin. I think he's an O-4 (Major) so he has a pretty stable income. He's got a nice house, drives a nice truck, and races motorcycles.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    I never said I wanted anything for free. Please show me where I suggested that. I just said that there is no actual cost to the dealer (not saying their time isn't worth something) such as a transaction fee for them to register the gun. My complaint is that I've paid my dealer through my lifetime membership (which includes free transfers) and now after being a member for several years and finally transferring 1 gun in 3 years after buying 4 guns from him I got quite a bit of hassle from him about it and it was rather frustrating. No telling how long it will take to finally get it registered now. I've paid other dealers for transfers and it went quite smoothly. I'd consider $20 quite reasonable.
    Ohio has registration? What's the fee to register?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, World Drifter

I'll make an observation here. I know the OP personally, and I know the dealer he's talking about. My observation is this:

Good customer service is difficult to find in this industry.

There's several ways in which this dealer could have handled this situation. As I said, I know the dealer - he's generally a well-meaning nice guy, and a very knowledgeable (and certainly opinionated) trainer. But he learned his customer service/relation skills at the police academy. He's the kind of guy that you have to chase after two and three times to get something done and is just as likely to make a customer problem worse rather than better with his demeanor.

One way to have handled this would have been to do the dealer transfer as was agreed to and paid for in a timely, hassle-free manner. When the OP went in to pick up the gun, he could then explain that he's making a policy change....he could raise the price of doing FFL transfers, or simply not do them at all. But to treat the OP poorly and to intentionally drag his feet while doing this transfer which the dealer previously agreed to do as part of the lifetime range membership is beyond ridiculous and demonstrates a lack of business acumen and fundamental lack of understanding of how to treat a customer.

Unfortunately, poor service seems to be the norm and not the exception in this industry from what I've seen.

What does it cost a ff to do a transfer

Everybody is complaining about paying for a transfer . But you have to remember we have to retain the paper work for ....(20 years)....for every gun we buy , sell , or transfer.and if we get it wrong we have to deal with the aftermath. This is the atf requirement. If you buy the gun from the "dealer : The transfer is included. If we dont have the paper work when the atf requests it ,
    we can be fined or go to jail or both. But that is just my 2 cents!!!!!

I thought about getting my own FFL as I'd love to buy/customize/resell Colt Pocket Hammerless pistols but by the time I figure in the cost of getting the FFL and paying for all the extras plus being compensated for having to maintain records and be responsible it starts to get expensive.

It's all well and good to figure we are being ripped off for paying $20 - $40 to transfer a gun. We are paying a Dude that to spend 15 minutes filling out paperwork *but* Dude has paid for a license and attorney fees and has a store front and has insurance and has to pay renewal fees and has to have a book keeper/accountant and he has to be accountable, etc, etc. Like buying a Fast Food burger we only see the short/small term. Somebody spent a considerable amount of money and has invested a significant amount of time and energy to be accountable to the Federal Government/BATF. If we think it's outrageous we can open our own FFL establishment and rake in all the fast $ by doing 5 minutes of paperwork, right?

I fully support my local FFL's and gladly pay the transfer and paperwork fees. I wish I could pay them to handle my FFL transactions for rebuilding/customizing pistols *but* the law says the moment I buy a gun intending to resell it I am "in the business" of buying and selling for profit and need an FFL. So that's not gonna happen until I get enough cash to get an FFL, pay for legal representation, pay for accounting, buy a store front and set up to keep records, and go into business.

And when I do it'll cost you a fair amount to transfer guns thru me over and above the cost of the 5 minutes of paperwork.

VooDoo

It's worth ~$25 around here. If you don't like the fee, then YOU go get an FFL (most new FFL approvals "mandate" a storefront) OR pay the up-charge of buying one out of the owner's stock. Time IS money. And since it IS HIS TIME, he can (IMHO) charge ANYthing he wants, just like a plumber, a mechanic or a...lawyer. The only vote that the buyer gets, involves HIS wallet.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I've seen it as low as $15 and high of $50.It depends on the shop.

VIP Member
    I know this is an old thread but I will just say that being a lawyer and charging by the hour at market rates....

I long ago quit complaining about hourly rates of the guy that would come and fix my furnace at 3:00 AM in Ohio when I woke up to a 50 degree house in December...

I long ago quit complaining about the hourly rate a plumber chargers to do a job right to ensure that I have water in my house...

And I sure as heck won't complain about a 30 - 60 dollar fee for 15 minutes of paperwork and dealing with the feds.

That's the market, folks.
    ghost tracker likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Sponsor
    Many local dealers are becoming more and more frustrated with people buying guns off the internet from places like gunbroker or buds and having them transferred. Local dealers will usually charge $20-40 to do the transfer paperwork. Obviously they are not making the money from the sale of the gun, but otherwise what am I missing with their frustration? They just have to do the paperwork right? It doesn't actually 'cost' them anything other than the time to stand there and to the paperwork right? They make $40 for doing ~10 minutes of paperwork. It doesn't seem so hateful. My dealer said that it costs him money to do the transfer and said there was some delay because of "the out of state requirements". There are out of state requirements? I thought it was just a matter of sending the FFL info to the sender. I would have bought the gun from him but he didn't have access to this brand. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.
    Time to log it into their books, put it aside, time you take to fill out the 4473, time to call it in [ if they have to ], time to log it out.

We used to charge 15 for the first one and 10 for subsequents [ picked up at the same time ] when everyone was 20 or more. Usually 6-8 per day, sometimes up to 15-18 a day. I felt that was sufficient to cover the employees time above. That means we made 90-200+ a day in transfers. Or 1800 per month or more in revenue. Transfers were paying the rent.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Mine charges nothing for Police, Fire and Military. $15.00 otherwise.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.” John Wayne - The Shootist

IMHO, it's none of my business what it 'costs" any store to buy or do ANYthing. My only dog-in-the-fight is what I'M...willing to pay. Do you know/care/worry about what it "costs" Domino's to make a pizza? Well, not so much, if you're hungry.
    AzQkr and VodoundaVinci like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Nebraska12's Avatar
    Why blame the FFL holder? They aren't the ones that mandated the requirement. Seems petty to complain about it.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'

“The Second Amendment is timeless for our Founders grasped that self-defense is three-fold: every free individual must protect themselves against the evil will of the man, the mob and the state.”
    ― Tiffany Madison

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but many of my local shops are shamefully overpriced, so if they want to sell to you instead of doing the transfer, they could start by being competitive.
    That's quite hard to do when the shop pays more or a within a few bucks wholesale what the customer is buying from Buds delivered. Sometimes we'd be asked to order a gun [ and we were 50 over cost on guns over 300 ], look up the price we paid, add the 50 and be over what they could get it from Buds delivered by a few bucks. When that happened the customer usually asked if we could match it. NO was the answer. I wasn't going to make 15.00 on a gun to match Buds, they'd be told to order it and have it delivered to us for that money. Out transfer fee was 15.00. Why spend our money to order it, pay the wholesaler when the profit wasn't anymore or less many times than the transfer fee.
    dangerranger and OD* like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links