What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer?

This is a discussion on What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by luvmy40 This is only vaguely thread related but; Are there states that charge the FFL for the NICS check? I remember a ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What does it 'cost' a dealer to do an FFL transfer?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    This is only vaguely thread related but; Are there states that charge the FFL for the NICS check? I remember a sign in a gun shop in Norfolk, VA that said there would be a charge($10.00 IIRC) for a denied NICS response. I've never seen that anywhere else.
    Tennessee Bureau of Investigation charges $10 to run the background check. That gets passed on directly and is not included in gun prices.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Do you go to work for free? We don't around here. If you are my friend, I will gladly help you for free if it is just some work. If you are my customer, you are engaging in business; and business is the transfer of money for goods or SERVICES.

We charge $20 for transfers.
    I never said I wanted anything for free. Please show me where I suggested that. I just said that there is no actual cost to the dealer (not saying their time isn't worth something) such as a transaction fee for them to register the gun. My complaint is that I've paid my dealer through my lifetime membership (which includes free transfers) and now after being a member for several years and finally transferring 1 gun in 3 years after buying 4 guns from him I got quite a bit of hassle from him about it and it was rather frustrating. No telling how long it will take to finally get it registered now. I've paid other dealers for transfers and it went quite smoothly. I'd consider $20 quite reasonable.

All I know is my FFL only charges $5 for transfer fee (handgun or long gun). He told me he hates gouging people and is not in it to make a lot of money. He said it's mainly a hobby and mostly as a gunsmith. He doesn't have a sales inventory but will order something at the best price "he" can get. Which obviously isn't going to have much of a discount. But he has handled two transfers of firearms I've bought off of gunbroker.com and was happy to do it. His full time job is as an active duty Air Force Chaplin. I think he's an O-4 (Major) so he has a pretty stable income. He's got a nice house, drives a nice truck, and races motorcycles.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    I never said I wanted anything for free. Please show me where I suggested that. I just said that there is no actual cost to the dealer (not saying their time isn't worth something) such as a transaction fee for them to register the gun. My complaint is that I've paid my dealer through my lifetime membership (which includes free transfers) and now after being a member for several years and finally transferring 1 gun in 3 years after buying 4 guns from him I got quite a bit of hassle from him about it and it was rather frustrating. No telling how long it will take to finally get it registered now. I've paid other dealers for transfers and it went quite smoothly. I'd consider $20 quite reasonable.
    Ohio has registration? What's the fee to register?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    I'll make an observation here. I know the OP personally, and I know the dealer he's talking about. My observation is this:

Good customer service is difficult to find in this industry.

There's several ways in which this dealer could have handled this situation. As I said, I know the dealer - he's generally a well-meaning nice guy, and a very knowledgeable (and certainly opinionated) trainer. But he learned his customer service/relation skills at the police academy. He's the kind of guy that you have to chase after two and three times to get something done and is just as likely to make a customer problem worse rather than better with his demeanor.

One way to have handled this would have been to do the dealer transfer as was agreed to and paid for in a timely, hassle-free manner. When the OP went in to pick up the gun, he could then explain that he's making a policy change....he could raise the price of doing FFL transfers, or simply not do them at all. But to treat the OP poorly and to intentionally drag his feet while doing this transfer which the dealer previously agreed to do as part of the lifetime range membership is beyond ridiculous and demonstrates a lack of business acumen and fundamental lack of understanding of how to treat a customer.

Unfortunately, poor service seems to be the norm and not the exception in this industry from what I've seen.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links