Jammed Hornady Z-Maxx Bullet

This is a discussion on Jammed Hornady Z-Maxx Bullet within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First mag of the day loaded with Hornady Z-Maxx 9mm. This is a Sig P250 SC and it was about the 5th round of the ...

Thread: Jammed Hornady Z-Maxx Bullet

Jammed Hornady Z-Maxx Bullet

First mag of the day loaded with Hornady Z-Maxx 9mm.

This is a Sig P250 SC and it was about the 5th round of the mag. I have around 250 rounds down the pipe with varying ammo.

Took it back to Gander where I bought it, they're sending it back to Sig under warranty, Pretty sure its the ammo's fault but I didnt think to retrieve the casing to check for light strike. It didnt eject the casing on its own, I had to rack the slide and I was in some deep brush/field grass. It was more of a poof than a bang when the round went off. Wasnt brave enough to tap it out for fear of jacking up the barrel if its not already jacked. There was plenty of soot in the barrel and feed ramp so maybe the powder was low in this round, I have no idea? I plan on contacting Hornady Monday and talking with them.

Jammed-Hornady.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Squib, No Powder JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Yep - squib round. It happens.

Get yourself a hardwood dowel that fits your bore closely - maybe sand down a 3/8 dowel - and cut it about 3 inches longer than your barrel. Keep it in your range bag - it'll be handy for tapping out stuck bullets like this.

I had a squib .45 round a few months ago (my own reload - I'm the culprit as well as victim) that ultimately took a 4-pound hammer to knock free. The lead bullet was stuck halfway down the bore, and it was just a bugger to get out. I have to wonder if a jacketed bullet might have been easier! But the barrel was the most rugged element in the equation (of barrel, bullet and rod), and it survived just fine - no rings or bulges.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

"squib" educate me? :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lead Moderator
    Squib load = no powder ,just a primer which typically barely propels the bullet into the barrel. As stated you feel and hear a small pop as opposed to a full load. Typically a semi will not eject the brass either.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Yep - squib round. It happens.

Get yourself a hardwood dowel that fits your bore closely - maybe sand down a 3/8 dowel - and cut it about 3 inches longer than your barrel. Keep it in your range bag - it'll be handy for tapping out stuck bullets like this.

I had a squib .45 round a few months ago (my own reload - I'm the culprit as well as victim) that ultimately took a 4-pound hammer to knock free. The lead bullet was stuck halfway down the bore, and it was just a bugger to get out. I have to wonder if a jacketed bullet might have been easier! But the barrel was the most rugged element in the equation (of barrel, bullet and rod), and it survived just fine - no rings or bulges.
    May sound like a dumb question, but in this case, you're tapping it out following the threads, correct? You hadto take out the barrel so that it followed its natural path had it successfully fired. Or, am I being too much of a Nancy thinking it could damage the bbl?

Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    "squib" educate me? :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Pop no kick

get a wooden dow stick and knock it out from the front end, that barrel is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    May sound like a dumb question, but in this case, you're tapping it out following the threads, correct? You hadto take out the barrel so that it followed its natural path had it successfully fired. Or, am I being too much of a Nancy thinking it could damage the bbl?
    Yes, the barrel was removed. I held the muzzle against a thick wood block and drove the rod from the breech end. You could even use a brass or aluminum or Delrin rod, you just want a material that won't hurt the steel. And while the barrel is pretty robust, it's not indestructible, so some care is necessary when you're driving out that stuck bullet.

In your case, the bullet is barely into the barrel, so I'd be supporting the chamber end and driving the rod from the muzzle.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links