Indy Trading Post

This is a discussion on Indy Trading Post within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went into Indy Trading Post today in Indianapolis, Indiana and asked for some blank rounds for my grandmothers gun. I do not wish to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Indy Trading Post

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Indy Trading Post

I went into Indy Trading Post today in Indianapolis, Indiana and asked for some blank rounds for my grandmothers gun. I do not wish to get into details about why blanks vs just removing the gun from her home, but she is to the point where I feel she is more dangerous to herself and others having a weapon loaded with live rounds than she is without one. When I explained that it was to put in her gun so she could not shoot anyone accidentally I was laughed at by three out of four of the sales staff. They did not just chuckle, it was full belly bursting laughter and two of them even walked out of the store they were laughing so hard. I have never been more humiliated by their behavior and would expect more from a gun shop advertised by members of this site. I believe that it is a very serious matter when ones grandparent is so sick that they only have a few months to live, and it is time to disarm them. Apparently their staff does not agree as I was laughed out of the store. I will not be spending any more money there, and I encourage others who want to be taken seriously when an issue such as this arises to take their money elsewhere.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Why did you tell them what the blanks were for?

You should have just.bought them and been done with it.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Vote with your feet, and don't look back. I agree with you.

I walked in and asked for them and they asked why I needed them and then I answered and got left out of the store. I really don't appriciate your hint that a gun shops employees acting in an insensitive manner and being rude to me is my fault rammerjammer.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I think they could have been just laughing at the thought of it, even tho it really is a serious matter and that's not a professional attitude. If you don't feel it is safe for your grandmother to own a gun with live ammo, but don't want to make a big deal out of it, I think that could be a reasonable action to take. I've noticed a lot of gun store employees can be extremely rude sometimes.
    ccman likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Just in case your thinking blanks will stop a suicide they won’t.
    Jerks in gun stores is always a problem, also works in auto parts and archery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Just in case your thinking blanks will stop a suicide they won’t.
    Jerks in gun stores is always a problem, also works in auto parts and archery stores.
    I think he's more worried about her not recognizing a friend or family member and shooting them thinking it was a BG or something, which I completely understand.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Moderator
    People have been killed by blank rounds. They aren't a solution to your problem here.

Matt
    JD, BkCo1 and Bark'n like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Blanks are not a complete solution no, a close range shot will still discharge a round. I am not worried about her committing suicide, Burns hit it on the head. I am more worried about her shooting myself or my mother when we walk in. The blanks will remedy that danger for the most part. It also provides a loud gunshot if she should have to defend herself. I am trying to grandmaproof the house as much as possible without making a big deal about it and her catching on.
    The Old Anglo and bigmacque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    People have been killed by blank rounds. They aren't a solution to your problem here.

Matt
    They have killed at close range, but it's a lot less likely than live rounds.

Maybe this is completely out of line because I don't have all the facts, but if one of my grand kids pulled something like this, they would have one extremely angry grand parent on their hands.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Thats just not right

JD
    Administrator
    And if the weapon is needed while loaded with blanks, what then?

JD
    Administrator
    OK, gotta be quick before baby starts screaming....

Without a blank firing adapter (BFA), you're going to get one shot with a semi anything, if we're talking about a manually cycled arm or revolver, it will cycle...

But regarding the blanks, without the BFA, you're still risking injury against the wrong people while risking non lethal force against an attacker.

IMHO, the weapon needs to go and blanks are not the the answer if you truly feel there is some impairment that is affecting judgment.

then what do you suggest? I don't want to disable the weapon completely, its a security six, i don't want to take her peace of mind. what do you reccomend?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links