The mighty 38 spl

This is a discussion on The mighty 38 spl within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why is g-o-o-k censored?...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: The mighty 38 spl

Why is g-o-o-k censored?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Oh bmc, now you gone and went and did it. First you get censored but worse, you expressed opinion on old school stuff. And you called it good stuff over new stuff. You must be hankerin to pine. The hornets gonna get ya boy.

Truth is, I like all kinds of stuff. My Para LDA is very cool but I don't love the 1991 any less. My new Shield is cool but my dad's model 19 will remain forever. But after years of buying and swapping, I realized that I've never sold or traded a wheel gun. This just dawned on me some weeks ago. The first that followed me home years ago was a Dan Wesson 357 with an extra 3 barrels and like the j frames and the 19, they're staying for supper.
    oneshot likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Why is g-o-o-k censored?

Gobbledygook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Why is g-o-o-k censored?
    I think it's a derogatory term for Asians. Or maybe just Chinese. It's a pretty old term.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I think it's a derogatory term for Asians. Or maybe just Chinese. It's a pretty old term.
    That example fits when i was in RVN.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That example fits when i was in RVN.
    Actually the term used in bmc's post was "gobbledygook", which has no reference to Asians at all. It's one of my favorite words and I hate to see it fall victim to political correctness by being misunderstood.

OK,,,, I admit it ,,,,, I am a 38spl fanatic,,,, When I starting shooting hand guns,,,, 38 spl was
    what I used first,,,,, and over 50+ years of firing the 38 ,,,,, I still enjoy shooting these hand guns,,,,
    sure there is faster, more powerful hand guns,,,, which I also have,,,,but I keep going back to the old
    38spl. The 38spl is old ,,,,, but still useful,,,,, kinda like myself.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

The 38 Special will be around longer than the Prius.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

My BUG while active duty was a S&W Airweight .38 Special, have carried that gun since 1969, still love to shoot it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Just visited Bud's Gun Shop and he still has some used model 10's available. $269. I got one a few months ago and I'm very glad I did.

VIP Member
    Terrific post Glockman!!!!

I'm with you all the way.

I love the 9mm, .357 sig, .357mag, but the .38 is a mainstay.

My first pistol purchase was a Dan Wesson 152-VH 6 in. in 1980.Have shot .357 mag through it but its .38's mostly.
    The kids love shooting .38 spl.
    Have a 442 and the wife has a Taurus 85.
    Load them up with even GD short barrel 135 gr. and they are fine.
    I load up the Dan for up in the N. woods though with .357 mag rounds.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Oh yes, perhaps I did know that back when I had some memory. Thanks, Rollo!

I never used it in that way Thought the term used in such a fashion was fairly mild but guess not in these days of political correctness.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My first gun purchase was the SW .38 Bodyguard. It was quickly pushed aside by my XDM .40c. I bought an LC9 for pocket carry and decided I didn't much care for it. Now a handful of guns and holsters later it's between the XDM and the .38. The .40 is more fun to shoot and I feel more confident with it but the .38 is a great little pocket gun. It's so light and concealable its perfect for church or formal occasions where the .40 would be hard to hide. It also makes a nice BUG on an OC day. It was definitely a good purchase!

Excellent post. Any day on the range with a .38 special is a good day indeed.

I hadn't shot my M64s for a while, until last winter the guy I shoot steel with and I took a work associate out in the desert to try different handguns. He lost the use of an arm in a bad motorcycle accident over a decade ago, but he recognizes the need for a 1-handed defense weapon in the home and we collectively had about 8 different guns for him to try. One of these was my 4-inch M64. Man, what a fine reminder of an easy-shooting gun! Well-balanced, good trigger, and just such a satisfying feel in the hand when it goes 'bang.'

So since then I've started experimenting with wadcutter loads... got some pretty snappy ones so far, but still working on the accuracy aspect. But the sheer satisfaction of shooting that .38 just brings a smile to my face.

Thanks for the great post, g-man!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links