The mighty 38 spl

This is a discussion on The mighty 38 spl within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; But you know...as good as the .38 special is for numerous duties, and as pleasant as it is to shoot, I can't help but compare ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: The mighty 38 spl

But you know...as good as the .38 special is for numerous duties, and as pleasant as it is to shoot, I can't help but compare it to the 9mm and .40 S&W and find that it comes up short in ballistics and chamberings. Common defense loads in 9mm have about 40% more energy at the muzzle (350 vs. 250 ft-lbs), and the .40S&W has about 80% more energy (400 vs. 250 ft-lb). And I have to compare the capacity of my G27 (10/15 rds) to the capacities of my S&W models 19 and 586 (6 rds) and model 620 (7 rds). The modified triggers in my G19, G27 and G34 are certainly comparable to the fine triggers in my S&W revolvers, with comparable accuracy in my hands. And it's about as easy to conceal a baby Glock (10 rds of .40) as it is to conceal a J-frame (5 rds of .38). The recoil of my G27 isn't a whole lot worse than any of my K-frames(probably due to barrel centerline), yet it weighs about 15 oz less. So as much as I enjoy a day on the range with a .38 spcl, I think it's been eclipsed by modern cartridges and chamberings.

2. Remove Ads

One is not required to use .38 Special loadings that generate 250 ft./lbs. of energy. The cartridge is capable of much more than that and loads are available.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Very timely thread, Gman! Just sent you a PM.

I'm very close to stepping off the "pocket 9" merry go round. Just too darn finicky. Put a down payment on a .38 LCR, should be picking it up soon. I'm looking forward to having another defensive wheelgun in my armory - had a SP101 that I sold off a few years ago. I think I'll like the LCR.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Nick62, I can't argue with your logic. I think a fine 38 spl wheel gun is not for everyone. Most people getting their feet wet don't have an appreciation because of lack of understanding the real attributes of the cartridge.

You see, and I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you, but your posting about energy figures is a dead giveaway that you have been caught up in the hoopla of energy figures. You are a great example of the modern breed. Not that it's a bad thing.

Just like in today's world of, say, music. RAP is all the rage, and many modern people like it.
    But some folks like me appreciate the value and the talent of actually making music thru being able to actually play an instrument skillfully and sing, rather than make noise from electronic programs and make primal animal sounds.

It's the difference between a good wine and a bottle of Mad Dog. Both will get you to where your going, but one will be more pleasant going down.

Revolvers chambered for cartridges like the 38 spl, 44 spl, and such are really for people in the know.

Ironically, the 40 S&W you like was invented over a hundred years ago. It was called the 38-40.
    Energy....indeed.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    Yep, been seriously kicking around the idea of dropping the little .380 for a snub nose 38 spl. This is just reinforcing what I had thought was a better trade. I actually have liked the idea of something a little bigger and easier to pull out of my pocket. Plus its really hard to beat the reliability of a nice revolver. I think Im leaning S&W, the one thats actually a little heavier, the airlight?? Or is it the airweight?
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

OD*
    A very good, and enjoyable post, GMan.

I can't disagree with anything you wrote (well, maybe "the M10, which has the greatest out of the box DA trigger pull of any production model ever produced. ).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Energy is Hoopla?

That's OK, I'm basking in the glow of being 50 years old and being considered one of the modern breed.

By the way, I hate wine and Mad Dog, and I'll bet we both listen to the same CW songs.

Age and outlook aren't necessarily connected.

I like wine, but not lower tier stuff.
    Nothing wrong with you Glocks. Got a few myself:)
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Yep, been seriously kicking around the idea of dropping the little .380 for a snub nose 38 spl.
    That's a no brainer. You'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    A very good, and enjoyable post, GMan.

I can't disagree with anything you wrote (well, maybe "the M10, which has the greatest out of the box DA trigger pull of any production model ever produced. ).
    Shame on me! Errr, what I uhhh...meant to say..was any production revolver they make.:)

Glockman - your Suzuki will best my Z06 by about 0.9 seconds from 0-60. That's a few car lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    Glockman - your Suzuki will best my Z06 by about 0.9 seconds from 0-60. That's a few car lengths.
    Maybe with somebody else riding it, but not me!

I'm a huge fan of the 38 special, especially when loaded in a S&W j frame!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Shame on me! Errr, what I uhhh...meant to say..was any production revolver they make.:)
    That I could agree with wholeheartedly.

In the older Smiths, I don't think anything can compare to the old 38/44 Outdoorsman's long-action.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The house .357s are loaded with .38 spl for the reasons given by the OP. JHPs in this caliber are about the same as 9mm.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links