The mighty 38 spl

This is a discussion on The mighty 38 spl within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nick, what I meant by energy being hoopla was that it doesn't really paint the entire pic. I would be a liar if I said ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: The mighty 38 spl

Nick, what I meant by energy being hoopla was that it doesn't really paint the entire pic. I would be a liar if I said I do not consider it in my choices, but for me, especially as a handloader, there are other things that are on my list of priorities. The first is accuracy. I just have not dollar for dollar, seen an autoloader that can match a good revolver with handloads tailored to it, with the exception of a 1911 or an autoloader specifically designed for target shooting.

But the biggest advantage is the ability to use the wide nosed cast bullets, load to a wide range of velocities, without worrying about the action functioning.

And third, I hate having to look for my brass.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Oh OD*, don't you dare go bringing out those old pre-war long-action Smith & Wesson revolvers on us. That's just taking unfair advantage.

A little off the subject but my wartime "Victory Model" K-Frame Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver has the finest double-action trigger pull of any unfooled-with revolver I've ever tested, even better than any of several of its earlier commercial pre-war bretheren that live here. The 30s vintage N-Frame .44 Special is right in there with it though.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Between OD, and bmcgilvray, they are going to force me to get rid of my last two remaining Glocks, dip into savings, and hunt down and acquire more old Smiths and Colts.

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you think the " darkside " Kool aid is good, wait till you get hooked on these.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Always found it interesting how things have changed........

In the old days, men shot .32's and .38's (the big gun) and women shot .22's and .25's.
    Now it's the women shooting the .38's, and men shooting .357's and .44's.
    It's all relative.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Always found it interesting how things have changed........

In the old days, men shot .32's and .38's (the big gun) and women shot .22's and .25's.
    Now it's the women shooting the .38's, and men shooting .357's and .44's.
    It's all relative.
    Women have gotten meaner...we had to adjust
    WHEC724 likes this.

Don't let this influence you in any way, Gman but we need a few photos to help things along.

Target model .38 Special revolvers from back in the day. A 1957 Colt Officer's Model Match and a 1979 Smith & Wesson Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece.

A very companionable Colt Detective Special

The World War II Victory Model with the great trigger

My old junky Model 10 Heavy Barrel as one of the accessories for a day out and about town. The double-action trigger is not shabby at all on this one.
    HotGuns, zacii, OD* and 1 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Anyone else here as crazy over the 38 as I am? I'd like to here your thoughts
    Well, since you asked...

The .38 is popular because it is fun to shoot.

And also, with wussyfication of America in full swing with many men getting blisters on their fingers if they try to shoot a full cylinder, its probably the biggest cartridge that they can handle without causing their heart to go into fibrilation.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'd almost be willing to bet that there are more handguns capable of firing the .38 special in America than any other centerfire cartridge.

Between the age of the round, and the long history of fine revolvers being produced in .38, combined with the resurgence of the j-frame as a carry gun, and the ability of .357 revolvers to fire the .38 as well, I'd say there is a good chance of that being true.

The .38 dominated police use for a good portion of the 20th century, as well as the civilian market before everyone started switching over to semi-autos.

Heck, even me as a young guy, I have as many revolvers in .38/.357 as I do .45 ACPs, I just somehow acquired them over time.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I love the 38 special. I have always had one and always will. If I am carrying a revolver it is a 38. I sold all my 357 because I no longer have a need for them.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Great thread.

I have 6 guns that can shoot 38 special so far and those K-frames keep multiplying like rabbits
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

OD*
    You went and done it, Bryan.

1940 .38/44 Outdoorsman

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

The .38 Special was introduced in 1898 as an improvement over the .38 Long Colt which, as a military service cartridge, was found to have inadequate stopping power against the wooden shields of charging Moros during the Philippine-American War.

History of the .38 special
    .38 Special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You went and done it, Bryan.

1940 .38/44 Outdoorsman

Great piece of history there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Great piece of history there.
    Thank you, sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I shoot more .38spls than .357mags. Mostly, due to cost. I do understand where you're coming from, GMan... I need to get the stuff to start reloading, but it's just a little too expensive an investment at the moment. And I don't have anywhere to actually do the work.

.357mag is my favorite 'handgun' caliber (I desperately want a lever-action .357mag), but the .38s are more affordable, and easier on the hands. The .38 is a wonderful round- 'easy shooting', hard hitting, do it all round. I would feel comfortable that .38spls could do the job from my snub nose.

But, I REALLY love the big ball of fire and sound of all hell crashing down on something from just in front of my hand.
    +1 on all points, Sir!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links