Comparison - XD 9 sub compact to Shield 40 / observations
My wife has had the XD for 2 or 3 years now. It's gets a little trigger time but not much really. I recently picked up the Shield in 40. Having owned a couple of 40's I know about the muzzle flip so I was surprised to find that I didn't notice the muzzle flip when shooting the Shield. So for fun I stacked these two against one another yesterday to see what I might see. Forget about accuracy in this since that's much too subjective based on the shooter. This is just a walk away comparison. I was shooting American Eagle plinking stuff in both. 180 FMJ in the 40 and 115 FMJ in the 9. So here's a bit of random observation: (btw, there were 3 of us, 1 woman and 2 men and this is general consensus)
- felt recoil, clearly more in the 40 but not overly so. I think that both are very manageable and I'm only 5'7" and a buck 70. I'd like my wife to consider a 40 but preconceived notions would be supported by a bit more bump from a 40 so whatever.
- muzzle flip, the difference between the two was almost indistinguishable. Surprising really.
- trigger....the XD beat the Shield hands down. The Shield reset is nice but is heavy and.....crunchy somehow.
- grip, the XD is a broader platform. I think it rests more comfortably in my hand but it's more to cc as well. The Shield, to me, isn't a natural fit until you start shooting. Then the dynamics change and it gets kind of wonderful.
- dependability (based on more than yesterday), equal in experiences to date. No issues with either. Yesterday was my first FTF in the 40 and then ammo proved itself faulty based on the calipers. But it's plinking stuff.
- the XD is a looser gun than the Shield. I'm comfortable in saying that the total number of rounds through these two guns are close enough that they should be equal in terms of break in. The Shield is tighter/stiffer in nature than the XD,
for good or bad.
That's kind of it. I'm sure more observations could have been made but it was pretty hot out there and it was just for fun. I will say that I ended by ripping a group at 10 yards that I was pretty proud of with the 40. So far the Shield has been a good decision. Hope this helps if you're looking for reference points.
Btw, send ammo and I'll get more specific