Remington 1911R1...No PLUS P ammo...

This is a discussion on Remington 1911R1...No PLUS P ammo... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm pretty sure it's a case of CYA coming from Remington.......BUT.......I'd like to hear from anyone out there with knowledge on why the owner's manual ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By IsaiahM33
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: Remington 1911R1...No PLUS P ammo...

I'm pretty sure it's a case of CYA coming from Remington.......BUT.......I'd like to hear from anyone out there with knowledge on why the owner's manual would state "...do not use plus P, +P, high velocity, or overpressure ammunition..." I know several firearm's manufacturer's put this in their manual's....some with good reason. Taurus revolvers state not to use any ammo lower than 125 grain or anything over 158 grain in their .357 magnums...or something to that effect. Kel Tec PF9...no plus P ammo. I understand that one as it's a very light handgun. Glock does not recommend +P or +P+ ammo, yet Glocks are known to fire both with no ill effects. RIA says the same thing, yet I converted a 1911 to fire .45 Super with narry a problem. Anyway, is this just lawyer speak? I checked out a few other forums and the answers were mixed. Anyone with some insight on this one? (Yeah, I know the .45 works just fine without needing to up it to +P.)
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I could argue that the .45 ACP doesn't require "+P" to do a good job. It's certain that Remington is just covering themselves. Shame on them if they truly produce a 1911 clone in modern times that's too weenie to stand up to a bit of +P use. And a bit is really all that would be required for someone wishing to carry +P .45 ACP. It's not like he's going to want to afford to fire large quantities of the stuff unless he's a well-heeled nitwit. A few magazines-full for familiarization and sight verification would do with perhaps the odd magazine-full as a refresher.

If my 94-year-old Colt 1911 has successfully digested factory Corbon +P 230 grain loads while chronograph testing and endured even warmer handloads in my distant past, then I'd expect the Remington product to hold up as well. It's a crummy product if it won't.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Well, doesn't matter anyway. I just traded it for Colt 1991A1. That is all.
    sgb likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

VIP Member
    Any quality modern firearm should be able to handle SAAMI rated +P rounds. Any round you see listed as +P+ is not SAAMI rated. While the gun should handle +P without problems, the companies that don't rate their guns to handle it do it as a CYA type thing. If your using +P and the gun fails, it's your nickel to fix it, and it also covers them to some extent in law suits, if you disregarded safety instructions.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    Well, doesn't matter anyway. I just traded it for Colt 1991A1. That is all.
    You done good
    IsaiahM33 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sponsored Links