Like Beautiful Rifles? Here are two old war horses...

This is a discussion on Like Beautiful Rifles? Here are two old war horses... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A detailed look at an American beauty...a Garand from 1955, in virtually unissued condition, then a view of one from WWII being fired. Got to ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Amsdorf
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 4 Post By Amsdorf
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Like Beautiful Rifles? Here are two old war horses...

A detailed look at an American beauty...a Garand from 1955, in virtually unissued condition, then a view of one from WWII being fired.

Got to love the rifle that won WWII.

bmcgilvray and pistola like this.

Yea Armsdorft! Nice video showing a lot of detail that I find interesting. Good work!

Here's an M1 I got back in the mid 1980s when the program was called the DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship). This rifle still has the correct barrel and the op rod is uncut and with the proper parts revision suffix. The stock features the proper inspectors cartouches. I'm guessing it was rebuilt at the end of World War II as it has the post-war rear sight and gas plug. The trigger group is a hodge-podge of all WWII parts but are a mixture of Winchester and Springfield parts with various revision numbers that don't mate up with the serial number range in the "books." That's the way it came to me so that's the way it'll be left.

If this link works properly here's a short clip my brother-in-law sneakily took of me and this M1 during a prone rapid-fire stage at a local high-power match a couple of years back. I don't leap to the mat with the enthusiasm I once did. This just mostly shows the reload and I'm not sure what I was doing after the first time I made to pick up the loaded clip from the mat. Still, not much time has to be wasted on reloads with the M1.
    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=DSCF2262.mp4
    gasmitty and pistola like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

P95
    Awesome rifles...thanks for taking time to share some pics.

Oh, yes, another beautiful one!!! Nice job on the reload.

One guy, a while back, shared a great story.

He had his grandfather out at the range with a number of relatively younger men shooting a CMP match and he invited his grandfather to use the Garand.

Grandpa, a WWII vet who saw a LOT of combat, took the Garand blew them all away with how accurately and quickly he reloaded. The guy said it was one seemless motion.

When they asked him how he learned to reload so fast he just handed the Garand back and said, "You get really fast when people are shooting back at you."

: )

Love the story of the Grandpa with the M1!

It's quite easy to maintain a high rate of aimed fire with an M1. Since there is no motion required to remove an empty magazine as there is with the M1A and AR 15, one is instantly ready to recharge the M1's magazine with a fresh 8-round clip. I will also shoot an M1A in competition but can't say that I can accomplish a reload any faster due to the motion required to remove the magazine for replacement with a loaded one. Same goes for the AR 15.

And the M1 delivers glorious .30 caliber bullets so authoritatively compared to the pop-gun AR 15 and it's .223 cartridge.

Sorry. Just had to say that.
    pistola and Rock and Glock like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I still at some point want a Garand. My dad was in the army during WWII he always said he wished he had been issued a Garand due to how light weight it was. I guess compared to the BAR he carried the Garand was a lightweight.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I love the way Cody (the host of Top Shot) says, "M1 Garaaand". He always makes it sound like the gun's some kind of legend or something, and it is.

Just got mine back from the shop last week... waiting for the temps to slip back down to 105 or so before I see what she can do. The 3 rounds I managed to get off before the op rod disconnected itself looked pretty promising. (Look closely - there really are 3 hits in the target.)
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links