Black gun advice needed

This is a discussion on Black gun advice needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hello, am a newbie to the black gun market, except for my S&W M&P15-22. I live in NYS, and need a NYS compliant black gun, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Black gun advice needed

Black gun advice needed

hello, am a newbie to the black gun market, except for my S&W M&P15-22. I live in NYS, and need a NYS compliant black gun, but am unsure what to get.... there seems to be many many different manufacturers right now. I am not looking to shoot any matches or compete with this gun, just something fun that i can sling lead around my property... maybe put a nice red dot on it, nothing too fancy. Any suggestions for something on the "less expensive side of things?" thanks. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

Well, I hope you'll see the humor here.
    NYS born (Oneonta)........current Arkansas resident, former Kansas resident. Now you at least know where I'm coming from.
    "NYS compliant" means to me that someone is putting a gun to my back or waiting to put handcuffs on me while I'm standing in front of the statue of Liberty. "Black" means to me a can of Krylon Fusion paint, and "less expensive" means to me Wal Mart.
    In truth, I could more than likely recommend something if I knew exactly what all of your needs were based upon your criteria and location. Spell it out for this hillbilly even if I can read.
    Good luck with it either way. I kinda like black myself.
    sid1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I kinda like black myself.
    You mean you don't like pink AR's?

I have a Glock 19 and a Springfield XD40SC. I like them both. The XD has a much better trigger (smooth with a crisp break), IMO, but is top heavy. They Glock 19 is balanced better, but the trigger is not as nice (lots of sack, then sudden resistance). In NYS, if I am not mistaken, you have a magazine restriction of 10 rounds, so the extra capacity argument isn't going to be applicable.

Edit: I got my wires crossed and thought we were talking about black handguns...
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I really enjoyed building my AR 15 with stripped lower receiver and a parts kit together with the upper. It was probably 5 years ago but I think it was around $430 to build.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Okay, I'm hearing a black gun with rails, but just for fun, capacity not more than 10.

We need more requirements, Bunker. Every manufacturer out there can meet those requirements in every caliber. Surely you have a few examples of what you like?

I can tell you off the top of my head exactly the next 5 handguns, and 5 rifles, and 2 shotguns that I want. It's just a matter of picking the order that I bring them into the fold.

I would like ten round max (have to cause its NYS law), at least one rail to mount a red dot, and maybe a lower rail to mount a forward grip, especially fond of Colt, absolutely no Remington anything. AM unsure about what kind of rifling (sp?) and length of barrel, but would like it in the nato 223 round. How is this for starters?
    "6 P's of self defense "

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I would like ten round max (have to cause its NYS law), at least one rail to mount a red dot, and maybe a lower rail to mount a forward grip, especially fond of Colt, absolutely no Remington anything. AM unsure about what kind of rifling (sp?) and length of barrel, but would like it in the nato 223 round. How is this for starters?
    .223 isn't NATO. The NATO round is 5.56. Almost the same, but not quite.

Any 5.56 will fire .223, but .223 won't necessarily fire 5.56. Just FYI.

VIP Member
    "less expensive side of things" and "Colt" tend to be mutually exclusive.

You are wise to prefer Colt. The LE6290 will run around ~$1,200. Otherwise wait until Palmetto State Armory gets their base-line carbine back in stock for around $699.

Just a thought - a "tactical" lever action gun in .30-30.

Much more politically correct for NY sensibilities. 6+1 rounds of 150-170 gr goodness, plus you can top it off as you go.

My Marlin 336 was less than $500 NIB, including a scope and sling. Put a butt cuff on it for an extra 10 rounds on the gun. I like it. A lot.

WHEC724 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Just a thought - a "tactical" lever action gun in .30-30.

Much more politically correct for NY sensibilities. 6+1 rounds of 150-170 gr goodness, plus you can top it off as you go.

My Marlin 336 was less than $500 NIB, including a scope and sling. Put a butt cuff on it for an extra 10 rounds on the gun. I like it. A l

this sounds cool, got any pics??
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    .223 isn't NATO. The NATO round is 5.56. Almost the same, but not quite.

Any 5.56 will fire .223, but .223 won't necessarily fire 5.56. Just FYI.
    woops, my bad, shows what a newbie i truly am. What is less expensive to shoot?? the .223 or the 5.56???? i wont be reloading anything, so it will be factory ammo for me. thanks. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

I don't know why color always has to be an issue. I hope one day guns are judged by their merit and not by their color.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    woops, my bad, shows what a newbie i truly am. What is less expensive to shoot?? the .223 or the 5.56???? i wont be reloading anything, so it will be factory ammo for me. thanks. bunker
    5.56 NATO is cheaper. You can buy bulk but neither is cheap. I have a spikes tactical. They are friggin awesome! They have an entry level ar for a good price. I suggest you look at ak47's and sks. These are a lot cheaper to shoot. 10 round mags can be had easily and they are a lot of fun. I almost like mine more than my ar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

VIP Member
    Since you live in NY I will suggest that you save your money and avoid over paying for a neutered AR15.

10th mountain is on the money. In a state that is antigun crazy a good 30-30 is the perfect "non black" tactical rifle. The best part is that it won't scare the sheep. Oh, and is costs way less too.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links