why does my 1187 do this?

This is a discussion on why does my 1187 do this? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; does this happen with other auto shotguns?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yoda

Thread: why does my 1187 do this?

Question why does my 1187 do this?

does this happen with other auto shotguns?
    Attached Images
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

2. Remove Ads

It is probably a bent or sticking shell stop. There are usually 2 that keep the shells from popping out of the magazine at the wrong time. I had one bent and another with a burr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Yoda; June 30th, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
    sgb likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Make sure you're getting the shells past the catch mentioned above also. If they are staying in the mag tube then shooting back like that then the shell stops are screwed up.

VIP Member
    Usually when it happens to me, I did not push the shell far enough into the mag tube while in a hurry.

The feed latch could be damaged or part of it broke off, a common issue; it is the long one held in by
    the trigger plate pin. If the tip is broke the feed latch will stick out too far and you can see it is broke.

The other latch called the interceptor latch is mounted on pin in the receiver and rocks up and down some during
    the auto load cycle. The area that it slides on in the receiver can get dirty or too dry and it does not move
    correctly or hangs up.

Push the carrier in and hold and clean the area with a toothbrush and breakfree or better yet take the
    trigger housing assembly [trigger plate assembly] out and clean the area so you can work the interceptor latch
    and clean between the side of the receiver and the latch when it moves. Don't try and take that part out.

So when does this happen exactly? When feeding another shell onto the lifter out of the mag? If so....it's a lifter problem. If the shells are just popping out of the magazine tube after loading them in, then it's the shell stops. Fall out tab on the lifter may be bent and in the path of shells going out of mag onto lifter......that will slow down the shell enough where it won't strike the latch and unlock the lifter. See what I'm saying?

Let me know if you figure it out or need some help. Since you're in the Ft Smith area there could be some possibilities. You may just want to buy a new lifter if that is the problem.

Links