$10 entry fee - shoot twelve 1" dots, win an LCR - What would you use?

This is a discussion on $10 entry fee - shoot twelve 1" dots, win an LCR - What would you use? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's how it works. Shooter's Depot has these contests ever so often. This one is called sink the battleships. It's basically 12 1" dots. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: $10 entry fee - shoot twelve 1" dots, win an LCR - What would you use?

Senior Moderator

$10 entry fee - shoot twelve 1" dots, win an LCR - What would you use?

Here's how it works. Shooter's Depot has these contests ever so often. This one is called sink the battleships.

It's basically 12 1" dots. The dots are on outlines of ships (overhead view). There's one main ship with 4 dots and four smaller ships with two dots each. You can 'sink' a ship if you hit all the dots in the ship. If you do it doubles the score for that ship. Right now the high score is 14. The maximum score is 24.

Here's the hard part, the targets are 21 feet away. If you were going to enter the contest, and I might, what gun would you use or what gun would you recommend I use? BTW, a .22 scores as if it were a .45. That is if you miss with a .22 and a .45 at the very same location would have cut the dot, then you get credit for the hit even though you didn't hit it.

That doesn't seem quite right because just about anyone could shoot a good .22 better than a larger caliber. But that's the way it is. Makes me think about getting out the ol Ruger Mk II and doin' some shootin' with it. It has a wonderful trigger and target sights - maybe that's the way to go. After all, it scores like a .45.

Thoughts?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    21 feet, or 21 yards?

Just asking for a little clarification; I can stack 8 rounds on the "X" at 21 feet with my 1911.

..21 yards, not quite so much.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

A Shotgun.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    .22 all the way.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Yep, my Ruger .22 Mk II with the trigger job.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

22LR...no brainer IMO. I spent a few years that chewed up plenty of my time after our club started allowing 22LR pistols for Steel Challenge and I got stuck in stages because of squads...while I was using 9mm. I say take 'em down and win the prize. My bet is that everyone shows up with a 22LR anyway.

Another vote for .22. Although my colt 1911 is deadly accurate
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

I'd use a .22 with a 21 foot barrel.
    mprp likes this.

If I was shooting something that I actually own, I would go with a Sig P-220. Otherwise I would just go with a good .22 range rental target pistol.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

When I was shooting regularly I could nearly put an entire mag in a 1" dot with my Mark II. No questions that's the gun I would use.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I'd definitely go with the Mark II.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    That is some good shootin' ! But, a 1" orange dot at 21' looks really small.

Oh, I forgot this little detail, you only get 12 shots.

And there's some strategy to consider too. there is one big ship (4 dots) and 4 small ships (2 dots each) E.g. let's say we get 6 hits and 6 misses. The score is dependent on which 6 you hit. If the 6 hits are: 3 on the big ship and 3 on three of the smaller ships, then you get 6 points. But if you sink a ship, i.e. hit all the dots in the ship, that doubles the score for that ship. So lets say our 6 hits get the 4 dots on the big ship and that's all we hit. We get 4 points, but we sunk the ship so we get 8 points.

The same would be true for the smaller ships, but which ship should get the most effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    ... you did say handgun, right?
    You know, I don't know that!!! I also don't know if we are restricted to iron sights - that could make a big difference too.

Also I don't know if you can use a brace or a rest, i.e. the bench or divider for each lane.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I did some dry fire to see what it looks like. That dot, mine was actually 0.85", is incredibly small at 21', but what was surprising was the amount of mental focus and physical effort it takes, at least for me, to shoot that precise for 12 shots.

In fact, I never got up to 12 shots; right now if I did, I'd be all over the place well before the 12th shot.

It's hard!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

If I had a .22 pistol I would use it. So for me it would be my 1911......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Ditto on the .22 Match Pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links