Practical vs Emotional carry choices and the real logic behind it.

This is a discussion on Practical vs Emotional carry choices and the real logic behind it. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today, was just another day. Hotter than the barrel of a Dixie cannon. I got up as usual, picked out my church attire, and was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Practical vs Emotional carry choices and the real logic behind it.

Today, was just another day. Hotter than the barrel of a Dixie cannon. I got up as usual, picked out my church attire, and was deciding on the carry choice of the day. In my selection there were guns that were logical choices for the worship service; a model 642 snubbie, a Beretta Tomcat 32acp, a G26,, and a Walther PPK in 380. Any of these would have been good choices for pocket carry in Dockers, although, the PPK would have been a little heavy, but do-able.

But like many times before, the logical side wasn't winning. I have just never felt the best with any of these choices, although I have used them many, many times on occasion.

So, as the wife was spending hers and my time in the bathroom, I went down and looked around at my most trusted, and most beloved of guns. A Colt Gov model 45, several model 10 38 spl's, an M24 44spl, and my Stag gripped M66. There were also a few M29's of various barrel lengths and 2 G20's in 10mm.

Without any reservation, I picked up the big 44 spl, admiring it's deep blue finish, and loaded the cylinder with 6 homemade 44 spl 240 weight semi wadcutters, over 15 grains of 2400. I slipped a speedloader full of the same in my pocket, and put on a custom high ride pancake holster lined with calfskin, slipped the 44 in it, untucked my shirt, and off we went.

Now, then, during and now, I have pondered my choice. My emotional attachment to such pieces over the more practical choices I could have made. And I thought alot about such discussions here on the same topic.
    Surely, I would have been just as well prepared for any situation armed with the pocket guns.And, with definitely more comfort.

The phrase coined by Clint Smith came to mind. " a firearm is meant to be comforting, not comfortable", or something to that notion.
    But thinking about it, I think he only got it half right.
    I believe that there is much value to emotional attachment to your carry piece. And, I know in the past, there have been those that accused those who chose to carry " ol slabsides" over the new poly wonders as being wrong for choosing the piece over the newer generation as " romanticizing " the 1911 and not by the virtues of it as compared to the " new breed" of carry pistols. Such as lighter weight, higher capacity, and alleged more reliable functioning.
    While some of these attributes are undeniable, a key part is missing.
    It's kind of like the velocity vs weight argument. One side or the other cannot truly give an accurate picture of effectiveness.
    Looking back now, I can understand some things I could not get my head around. I jumped all over the place. And many here do to. We try to compromise, and in doing so, struggle with the practical over the emotional attachment, and more often than not, struggle with it, and try to balance it out in our selection. But the practical side of our choices, even though it wins out many times, still leaves us...wanting.

Before the weather became unbearable, I had a get together for some impromptu shooting with a group of lawmen from many different agencies. Everybody showed up with their duty weapons, mostly G35's and G22's. There was one Sig 357, and an M&P. Only one person showed up with a sixgun... yep, you got it, me.
    I brought a S&W Thunder Ranch 44 Spl, and a M10 with heavy barrel.

Capacity wise, I was pretty much outgunned. However, I found I didn't lack in any drills. And, as the target distance increased, so did my ability to punch nice centerline holes at will.
    Short or long, I didn't care. Sure, my reloads took longer, and were more often, but while looking at the big holes in the paper humanoid targets, I couldn't help but think, " that ONE woulda done the trick".

I could have used my duty gun, or any number oh guns I own, and did just fine. But there is " something" to really having an attachment of sorts to your gun, that really brings out the best in the shooter.
    Now, this may sound crazy, but I really believe, that if you really love the gun you shoot, thru either some sort of sentimental, or other attachment, you will be at your best with it.

So, I reckon I can be accused of making my selection primarily on my attachment to it. Even if it is prone to rust, heavier than the greatest and latest, and is limited in capacity, when it's in my hand, it truly becomes a part of me.
    And that makes for a deadly duo.

A gun that you truly are attached to, is inspiring, and gives great confidence.
    And that's the part that Clint left out. It goes way beyond comfort. Its not what you carry, it's what inspires you, that makes you unstoppable, unbeatable by the enemy.

These are just some random thoughts, revelations of late, if you want to call them that. Maybe some can relate, some can't. I believe that we all reach different levels at different times, according to our expostures and experiences in life.
    Just another one of those things to ponder.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Yes and no. LOL. I will agree however with this..

A gun that you truly are attached to, is inspiring, and gives great confidence
    This type confidence makes you a warrior to be reckon with....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Great words, though this was the best soundbite of the bunch:
    "So, as the wife was spending hers and my time in the bathroom..."

Nothing wrong with being sentimental over your carry. Heck, I spend more time with my EDCs up against my skin than I do with my wife.

Not that I don't try to make it otherwise.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my chrome P7 may be a bit heavy and id sure hate for it to be in police evidance but i'll still wear it monthly
    cause it plane feels good to.
    same with the colts 1908 (380) and 1903. perhaps not the most bang for the size but if they compliment my attire,
    they go for a ride. strangest gun i'll carry, not that im looking to start a war is my 1914 Mauser.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Extremely nice post! Well written, well thought out, and made me think about a number of different points!

Practical vs Emotional carry?

That's an interesting concept to say the least. I figure you just like your options and at times you like to be unique, or random in your choices. As far as sentimental goes........none of my pistols hold that sort of feeling for me. They're all tools. I don't even have any favorite so to speak. Since you mentioned choices....I did pack my G23 in my Galco SkyOps yesterday on my trip to the grocery store instead of my G27 in Remora I've been doing for months. Interestingly enough, once I got to the store, I discovered I left my cell phone at home. I never leave home without the phone. I didn't have a panic attack over it, but it made me think as to why my change of carry this day caused me to forget the rest of my standard gear.
    Anyway.....this is your thread. Any carry is practical. Carry is logical. I'd just as soon keep any emotional feelings out of it myself. Any carry has a logical choice behind it. There are days when you get some kind of different feelings and make different choices accordingly. Then of course there's the environment or weather added to the sum. Been real toasty here too.
    If I were to ever feel some sort of emotion when it comes to my carry choices, I'm guessing it would be feeling sorry for the ones I left at home. Inspiration? Well, I think that brought me to buy my one and only non-Glock for carry in the last ten years.
    I think we all have those times when we simply do what we gotta do. I just like doing it without my mind struggling over issues. I figure if that ever happens to me it will be due to having too many choices and attempting to reason that the choice I made was the right one at the time. I never want to be in that position myself.

I brought a S&W Thunder Ranch 44 Spl,
    I could get pretty emotional over one of those.

Just speaking in general.

Pistol selection is simple. Which pistol, within reason, will give you the best chance if three armed BG's decide it would be a good idea to kill you and then gang rape your daughter. How the pistol looks is unimportant. Whether it was your daddy's gun is unimportant. The only thing that is important is which pistol will give you the best chance of making holes the BG's while they are trying to do the same to you. There is no other reason to carry.
    NYMike likes this.

gman, well written. I think it's fair to say that the 'working' gun (not the wall-hanger family heirloom) that you have the emotional attachment to becomes an extension of yourself, making you more effective in its use.

Count me as one more guy lusting after the TR .44 Special!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Great post Glockman!
    As it is I have my "Sig for every occasion" but there are some days I just feel like a wheel. No real logic to it in my mind. I cut my teeth so to speak on a four inch Smith, so even as "right" as the Sigs fit me a medium frame Smith is like coming home. While it doesn't have the capacity of my Sigs there its not a doubt in my mind that it will get the job done.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

One of the better post I've read lately glockman... I think the confidence your edc instills is the most important thing when choosing your edc. You put that into words rather eloquently... Good post.

Gman, you really hit home with this one! I agree with Doodle in that it's one of the best posts I've read lately along with one Thunder71 posted last week.

A fellow really needs to live with a gun for a long while. Really get to know it, it's strengths and weaknesses, gather a history of experiences with it, push it's limits and push to the limit of his skill level with it repeatedly. He has a deep need to come to the conclusion that it is less the firearm than it is the fellow using it. The affection felt for a firearm that's gone the distance is heartfelt. The gun does become a part of you and you will do your best work with it.

I was fortunate to be willing to get to know the favorite rifles and handguns I first acquired. Not so with the shotguns. I went through shotguns season in and season out, never really shooting any of them well enough to suite me. I finally settled on a Winchester Model 12 pump that was kept around the house and finally realized I needed to hone my shotgunning skills. Some years of informal gun club skeet tournaments did wonders to building both skills and confidence.

In fact, some form of regular competition, any good discipline, will do wonders for one's confidence and his abilities.

Engaging targets offhand at 350 yards with a .38 Special revolver is pushing limits too far, both the handgun's and the shooter's. Still, it's a hoot and it's shooting so it's all good.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I could have used my duty gun, or any number oh guns I own, and did just fine. But there is " something" to really having an attachment of sorts to your gun, that really brings out the best in the shooter.
    Now, this may sound crazy, but I really believe, that if you really love the gun you shoot, thru either some sort of sentimental, or other attachment, you will be at your best with it.

So, I reckon I can be accused of making my selection primarily on my attachment to it. Even if it is prone to rust, heavier than the greatest and latest, and is limited in capacity, when it's in my hand, it truly becomes a part of me.
    And that makes for a deadly duo.

A gun that you truly are attached to, is inspiring, and gives great confidence.
    And that's the part that Clint left out. It goes way beyond comfort. Its not what you carry, it's what inspires you, that makes you unstoppable, unbeatable by the enemy.

These are just some random thoughts, revelations of late, if you want to call them that. Maybe some can relate, some can't. I believe that we all reach different levels at different times, according to our expostures and experiences in life.
    Just another one of those things to ponder.

I have pondered this very thing many times, and think you have a very valid point. It is kind of like riding a favorite horse or driving a favorite car, it works much better than something you tolerate.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I keep my choices simple. G19 for 99% of the time. And a keltec P3at for when I can't pull off the G19. As much as I would love to have an armory of guns; 1- It's not going to happen any time soon financially and 2- I honestly prefer to have a gun that will do the task, use it, learn it, and use it well. I have one .22 rifle, one .22 pistol, one deer rifle, a muzzleloader, a bow, and one hunting shotgun for typical use. I have a couple other firearms for sentimental reasons. And my wife has 2 carry pistols and a shotgun. We are well armed and have all the nitches filled. But there is little extra there.

Not knocking anyone with lots of guns. If anything I'm a bit envious. We've just made some life choices that limit our disposable income for stuff like that.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    As a young man, I started out with a revolver. I could grab it right now, qualify with it and go on duty and not have a problem. I'm comfortable with it and have confidence; so yeah, it's easy for me to gravitate toward's a certain gun that works well for me. OTOH, I have some guns, that I don't have that special confidence and I typically would pass on.

It all sort of reminds me of a playing baseball and having that special bat or glove.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links