Glock Rookie Report...Uh oh

This is a discussion on Glock Rookie Report...Uh oh within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm probably pretty close to the last person on Earth that has been around guns all of his life yet has never played with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Glock Rookie Report...Uh oh

Glock Rookie Report...Uh oh

So I'm probably pretty close to the last person on Earth that has been around guns all of his life yet has never played with a Glock, other than holding one or two at the counter. So, my wife and I actually went to an indoor range yesterday rather than the usual outdoor range where we can set up whatever we want, at whatever yardage we want. I figured that a change of pace would be nice and wanted to check this place out since we've never gone there before too.

Well, after talking to the guys that work there and aimlessly wandering around the store part of the business for about a half hour to check out what they had, I decided to rent a G 19 and a lane. We both brought along our EDCs but I decided that I didn't want to shoot my Kimber .45 because there was no way for me to recover my brass from the ammo that I had brought. I'm stingy like that. However, my wife was along with her SP-101 with plenty of my reloads that would keep her busy for quite some time. We ended up sharing the lane and took turns with her Ruger. Soon, it was time to load up the Glock.

We were set up with a box of 50 rounds and a 15 round magazine and after the first go around, I must say that I was very impressed. Grip, controlability, accuracy and sight picture were very much to my liking. The trigger? What's the deal with that? I don't understand why some people say that they don't like the trigger on the Glock. Set up, acquire target, finger on the trigger, pull and bang! Didn't even think of the trigger as nothing about it jumped out at me. Maybe I was just too busy with the front sight and target to notice.

Now setting the target out to about 7 yards, my wife decided that she wanted to give 'er a whirl. Only giving her a quick rundown about what to expect with the amount of trigger pull needed, she filled the paper full of holes, all of which were great shots. My turn again so I loaded up the mag., shot the first one and then gave it a little double-tap action for the remaining rounds, all of which were on target. The trigger reset is absolutely perfect for this to me. Not all were in the orange but they all hit the body on the half-size target.

After finishing up and leaving the shooting area, my wife said, "Man, I really liked that Glock. That thing was sweet and I don't think I did too bad with it." I concurred. So as the dollar signs ran through my head, all I could reply with was, "So, his and hers?" <--me / wife --> But I think that with the money thing aside, she really would like to have one and maybe it won't be too long. One can hope.

So I know that all of the people out there that own one or swear by the Glock already know all of this and that's cool. I just figured I'd share some thoughts with someone that may be thinking of trying one out but didn't like some trivial feature about it. I say don't shoot one! It's a trick and you might actually really like it! Man, I sure did. I still love revolvers and 1911's but as for the Glock; in a word, I think "uglisweetness" should cover it. For those of you looking at dictionary.com, don't bother. I made that up. And as for the "Uh oh" in the title, I think it's because of the aforementioned dollar signs as I think I could get hooked.

If this was a poll I'd say that:

5% = Who cares?

95% = Tell me something I didn't already know.

Oh well, who cares?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Now you've done it!!!

Never understood the "horrible trigger" thing either and I do have multiple makes of guns. To me, they all work just fine.
    Last edited by jblitz; July 1st, 2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Actually, I enjoyed the review. It is more interesting to hear what someone thinks who freely admits they have little experience than to listen to someone who thinks they know everything.

It gives a fresh, unbiased report. I could relate with what you said.

Oh, and as for the wife, well, what's yours is hers, and what's hers is hers. That's all you need to remember, that and Yes Dear, and you will have a happy marrige.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    "There is a reason why they are so popular." A quote from my instructor and shooting buddy.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I used to have one, now I have five...I know what you are talking about.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm glad that you have seen the light. Now,no matter what you shoot,your mind will drift back to the feel of that glock. Your'e hooked,you just don't know it yet.
    atctimmy likes this.

I understand completely. Glad you tried it and glad you liked it (both you and your wife).
    G19 price? One suggestion is join the GSSF ($35 one year) and get one voucher for LE pistol pricing. That would be around $398+tax. You'll just need to get it from your nearest Glock LE supplier without the added cost of transfer fees.

They let you have 15 round mags in Cali?

Great review, the kind I can relate to. Now I'm getting lewd thoughts about going to the range and just "trying" a model 19 or maybe 26.
    Glocks are so ugly they're cute, like Shar Pei puppies.

shar pei.jpg

I understand the OP's feelings exactly. Been in love with my G19 going on 6 years now.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

Nice review, Thanks for posting.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Resistance is futile.
    mprp likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

My son just got a G-34. I like that idea of the GSSF and LE pricing - sounds like a great deal!

Glock 19's and women seem to be a very good match. I've lost two Glock 19's to ex-wives, and soon to lose another one to my daughter that has staked a claim on one of my current G19's.

My point? Buy your wife her own, or as Gman stated.....if you buy one, you'll never see it as it will immediately become "hers".

....and never, ever let another female relative shoot your Glock 19, lest you be Glockless via estrogen induced eminent domain.
    beararms likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Glocks suck. Get something that feels more like a handgun in your hand. So I said a year ago.

Now I have a 19, a 23, and a 32. Get one. Or several.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glock are Glocks--no more/no less. I don't get into all the better/worse arguments over Glocks. They're different in some aspects, but what isn't? All I know is it goes bang when I pull the trigger, it's lighter than an all-metal frame, and I enjoy shooting it. Love it? I don't know. But I do like it a lot. Anyone who expects "X" number of products to all perform like product "Y" is living in La-La land. Get over the differences; expand your experiences. You'll be better for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links