Opinions on the Henry AR-7

This is a discussion on Opinions on the Henry AR-7 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for opinions from (those who own, have owned or have shot) on the Henry AR-7 Survival rifle. I am thinking that a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Opinions on the Henry AR-7

Senior Moderator

Opinions on the Henry AR-7

I am looking for opinions from (those who own, have owned or have shot) on the Henry AR-7 Survival rifle. I am thinking that a 3.5 lbs and 16.5 inches it will make a great backpacking/camping gun. I would like to hear about reliability, accuracy and any other issues with these guns.

Also since my oldest son is now 5, I might use it squirrel and rabbit hunting plus it will probably be a trunk gun on long family car trips.

Any feedback is welcome.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Been around since forever (Sears used to sell them). Basic, no-frills. OK accuracy, no big reliability issues. And it floats. What else could you want?

For little kids? It's got a better trigger than a Cricket, but the stock, especially the pistol grip, is a bit fat for a youngster's hands. You really need to see one up close to appreciate that (doesn't show up in most pics).

Still, I think a basic single-shot bolt or break action with an exposed hammer is a better choice for his first exposure to shooting. You might look at something along the lines of the New England Firearms/H&R "Pardner Jr" rifles. Those break down easy into three main parts (Buttstock/action, barrel, and forestock) less than 2' long each. You could easily throw that in a small bag in the trunk or backpack.

I was looking at a similar Rossi for kids to shoot, but I like the NEFs better even though you can get the Rossi in a kit with two or three barrels in various combos of shotgun, rimfire, and small centerfire. But I don't think I'd want to have to spend the next couple years removing a flinch from a kid who shot one of those in in shotgun/centerfire (they feel like they're less than 5lbs).

For a backpacking/survival/truck rifle, I still think a used M6 .22 over .410 would be a great find. That's one of the guns I kick myself for not buying (Though I think they started making replicas for a while in .22hornet). The Keltec Sub2000 in 9mm seems like it would be a good match also, but I've never fired one. A gunsmith at the LGS warned me off for now - said they're hit or miss for quality.

For a backpacking/survival/truck rifle, I still think a used M6 .22 over .410 would be a great find.
    Me first! And, I kinda like the Rossi too. I've only heard that the Henry's don't seal well against water when stored in the stock... but cannot confirm that from experience.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    Thanks, for the reply. As for hunting it was mainly a back-up huning gun for me. I have a Winchester and Ruger semi auto .22 already for our main hunting, but I have 2 sons and only 2 .22's. In a couple of years I'm going to need another .22 and I would plan on using the AR-7. I hope to let the boys do most of the shooting when we are hunting, of course I could always carry shotgun
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Mine is a Charter Arms, so not exactly the same gun but very, very close. I used it for years while backcountry canoeing, mostly as a snake gun, but once to actually feed myself. Accuracy is just alright, you probably won't take rabbits or squirrels at 50 yards, but works great at 50 feet. Used to drip paraffin wax along the seam where the buttcap closes when I knew things in the boat were going to get wet. Pretty nifty gun, I still get it out and fire it once a year just to make sure it stays working and lubed.

I still have two of the real old ones that could be used as a pistol or rifle. Would not part with it

My wife wanted one for a BOB. Got it about 6 months ago. 50ft on a 4 in swinging steel target its a tack driver. Tried using some old (10yr) Win. ammo and it wouldn't cycle. Newer ammo is zero problems. The only bad thing is the bolt handle is too small to comfortably operate. My wife found a key chain ring that really helped. She has limited shooting experience and can't stand any kick. This little gun is perfect for her. She loves it.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

I've had a Henry AR7 for several years I bought at a pawn shop for $70,back when new ones were running around $100,2 8 round mags and the sights are good enough to take squirrels or rabbits out to at least 25 yards.Ruger is now making the 10/22 TD (Take down) the barrel seperates from the receiver by twisting it sideways and seperating.they are running around 300 - 325.,the Henry AR7 seems to be about $100.00 cheaper
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    The only bad thing is the bolt handle is too small to comfortably operate.
    Not to resurrect a dead thread, but how far does the changing handle protrude in its extended position? I'm thinking of buying one, and in the video reviews I've seen it looks like I could at least get 1.5 fingers around the charging handle.

Quote Originally Posted by daler View Post
    Not to resurrect a dead thread, but how far does the changing handle protrude in its extended position? I'm thinking of buying one, and in the video reviews I've seen it looks like I could at least get 1.5 fingers around the charging handle.
    You're in Illinois and thinking about buying a gun.... Are you MAD?

Welcome to the forum! just joshin' bout Illinois... kinda... but then, not so much. I used to live there, in the big city... a long time ago... when there was a Chicago Gun Club open to the public, in Lincoln Park.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    Well I got a Rossi .410/.22LR combo instead of the AR-7

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Well I got a Rossi .410/.22LR combo instead of the AR-7
    I've looked at those since I can't seem to find any M6s at a decent price...

How do you like the Rossi?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    I only shot the .22 last weekend, my 5 year-old can hit a soup can at 15yds with it.

It is a nice light handy gun, and the fiber optic sights make it easy to learn a proper sight picture

Haven't tried the .410 yet

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks.
    Yeah ... I go out of state a lot to buy firearms. The AR-7 I've been eying is in TN, so I figure I'll pick it up when I go down to visit my father. Just need to find my FOID card before I head down.

They are cool I still have one of the older ones That convert to a pistol also. This it it with short barrel and stock off
    I have had this thing a long time. I do not think the New Henry version has the short barrel option. took a lot of small game with it
    pgrass101 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links