Rust prevention testing and other snake oil uses.

This is a discussion on Rust prevention testing and other snake oil uses. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I always wonder about these tests folks preform to see how well new super formula products costing more per ounce than a fine perfume preform. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mlr1m

Thread: Rust prevention testing and other snake oil uses.

I always wonder about these tests folks preform to see how well new super formula products costing more per ounce than a fine perfume preform. How they prove that this one new super product is the only thing that can protect your hardware from dissolving into a pile of iron oxide.

They make me wonder how my rifles, some over one hundred and fifty years old, have not turned into dust yet. I see high priced formulas on the market claiming to be the only thing stopping corrosive ammo from turning your barrel into a corroded sewer pipe. Does soap and water no longer work on these newer alloys used to make barrels now days? I know for a fact it still works in the older alloys my surplus military rifle barrels were made of.

As a kid I was taught to leave our guns outside when returning home after a hunt during freezing weather. This would prevent them from sweating until they were ready to be cleaned. Then a full disassembly was done and everything was cleaned and properly lubed. The lube most of us used to prevent rust was generally 3in1 or sewing machine oil. I still have these firearms and none have any rust on them.
    We did use a rag with the same 3in1 oil on it to wipe our guns down once a month. Maybe that was more important than the type of oil we used.

Just want all of you who like me cannot afford the latest super lubes to know that most any oil will work.

Michael
    bmcgilvray and WHEC724 like this.

VIP Member
    I'll never forget the looks I get from the ladies in the notion section as I buy my 4 oz Singer Sewing Machine Oil for $2. Now you made me run down to the safe to see if all my 50yr old hardware hadn't dissolved. The vapor from Hoppe's #9 always made cleaning a happy experience, but I've got to say, Gunzilla seems to work pretty well.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I've got a dozen or so guns I've had for over 30 years. They've always thrived on a cleaning and maintenance regimen that includes the use of Hoppe's No. 9 for cleaning, a light machine oil such as gunthorp's Singer Sewing Machine Oil for lubrication, with a thin film of RIG applied to metal surfaces for protection from rust.

This has given such perfect satisfaction with both older guns and newer acquisitions that I'm uninterested in changing to any newer, possibly more expensive potions, no matter what they may be claimed to accomplish.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

In my opinion most of these new high priced spreads offer no real advantage over a gun the receives a regular cleaning or wipe down. They might be worth your while if ised in place of regular cleaning or wipe down I do not know. But for a person that is cleaning or wiping his guns on a regular basis it seems to me like you would be pouring your cash down a rat hole. In that case I see no reason to wipe off all that high dollar stuff just to reapply it again.

Michael

Sponsored Links