Ruger Sr1911

Ruger Sr1911

This is a discussion on Ruger Sr1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for some input from people who have shot it. I was looking at one today was tempted to drop the cash for it but ...

Thread: Ruger Sr1911

Ruger Sr1911

Looking for some input from people who have shot it. I was looking at one today was tempted to drop the cash for it but thought I'd get some input here first.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to have one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

sgb
    A friend Of mine picked one up a month or so ago. He brought it over to show me and the overall fit and finish was good, typical of Ruger. However when I did a function check the thumb safety failed allowing the hammer to drop when the safety was released. My bud called Ruger who promptly sent out another MIM thumb safety, which unfortunately also failed. Rather than deal with having to ship it back to ruger he had me fit an Ed Brown Tactical thumb safety and sold it.

I have no doubt that Ruger would have made good on the gun. If you're looking at a SR1911 I'd suggest a hands on inspection and function testing prior to purchase.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by kev350 View Post
    Looking for some input from people who have shot it. I was looking at one today was tempted to drop the cash for it but thought I'd get some input here first.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    I bought one about a year ago? And I.love it. I have shot all kinds of crap through it and it just keeps running. Sounds like sgb's friend got a bad one maybe but that's the first I have heard about a bad one. I shoot mine every time I go to the range because it shoots so smooth like butter man. Wait until you get it and you will see what I'm talking about. I just got a holster for it so i am going to edc it for a while as well. I would do it. How much are they going for? Here I found them for $650-675?? the other day. Sgb, why did you have to fit the safety? I thought you wouldn't have to on this gun?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I bought one about a year ago? And I.love it. I have shot all kinds of crap through it and it just keeps running. Sounds like sgb's friend got a bad one maybe but that's the first I have heard about a bad one. I shoot mine every time I go to the range because it shoots so smooth like butter man. Wait until you get it and you will see what I'm talking about. I just got a holster for it so i am going to edc it for a while as well. I would do it. How much are they going for? Here I found them for $650-675?? the other day. Sgb, why did you have to fit the safety? I thought you wouldn't have to on this gun?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Very few things on a 1911 are truly drop in. Ruger as most manufacturers today use many Metal Injected Molded parts which in theory should allow just such drop in replacement (unless things are out of spec). The Ed Brown tactical thumb safety is a CNC machined investment casting which comes oversize and requires fitting, which in this case also compensated for the deviations in the stock parts which allowed the stock thumb safety to fail.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

VIP Member
    Here are a couple of previous threads and a video you might find interesting. The second includes a review by a 1911 pistolsmith. I have one and have not had any problems in the 500 rounds I have run through it. Around here the biggest problem is just finding one, they are as scarce as honest politicians and run anywhere from $750 to $1000.

Ruger SR1911

For Current and prospective SR1911 owners

Ruger SR1911 - YouTube
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Very few things on a 1911 are truly drop in. Ruger as most manufacturers today use many Metal Injected Molded parts which in theory should allow just such drop in replacement (unless things are out of spec). The Ed Brown tactical thumb safety is a CNC machined investment casting which comes oversize and requires fitting, which in this case also compensated for the deviations in the stock parts which allowed the stock thumb safety to fail.
    Ahhhhh got ya. So if i wanted to change all the black parts out with stainless parts I would have to take it to someone or no? I haven't really torn into mine yet? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Ahhhhh got ya. So if i wanted to change all the black parts out with stainless parts I would have to take it to someone or no? I haven't really torn into mine yet? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    ........................ Yes

Very accurate and quality gun. I heard the first runs were better but not sure how true that is. For the money it's an excellent 1911.

I've been very happy with mine. The only problem I've hit is I need to adjust the sear spring to get rid of a grip safety rattle.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Nice looking but the frame is cast. Go to 1911forums.com for more info

They are scarcer than hen's teeth. However, there is no reason to pay MSRP.

I love mine. It eats anything I feed it. The only things that I have changed are the grips (from brown to black) and the slide stop (from the OEM black to a SS Wilson Combat). All of the parts fit right in, no adjustment or trimming was necessary.

YMMV.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
    They are scarcer than hen's teeth. However, there is no reason to pay MSRP.

I love mine. It eats anything I feed it. The only things that I have changed are the grips (from brown to black) and the slide stop (from the OEM black to a SS Wilson Combat). All of the parts fit right in, no adjustment or trimming was necessary.

YMMV.
    They are popping up everywhere around here! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Links