Idiots at the range

Idiots at the range

This is a discussion on Idiots at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How do you all handle if other guests of a gun range have poor muzzle control/firearm handling skills? Use it as a teaching moment? Just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Idiots at the range

Idiots at the range

How do you all handle if other guests of a gun range have poor muzzle control/firearm handling skills?

Use it as a teaching moment?

Just pack up and leave?

I just had a bad experience recently when my girlfriend and I were at the range and several other guests arrived and set-up shop. I noticed that the business end of a firearm was pointed at me several times while they were getting setup and also were handling firearms while people were downrange setting up targets and such. Poor firearm discipline does not lend itself to establishing a solid first impression with me.

Input welcome.
    ttowndeputy likes this.

I'd politely say something. If that didn't work, talk to the range manager.
    W9HDG, BamaT, 2nd AMEN and 9 others like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Like mano3 said I would politely say something, only difference is I would say it to the range manager/safety officer, it is not my place to confront the other shooters and would prefer to let that be handled by the officials of the range. Most ranges have signs to the effect of muzzle control and it is not my job to enforce them. I would pack up and leave mentioning what happened on my way out.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    At a privately-owned range, I'd politely say something to the offender(s) and then take it up with the owners/managers if that doesn't work.

At a public range with no range masters (like some canyon I visit on occasion in CO), it depends on the offenders. If they look like reasonable people, I might say something nicely to them about it. If they look like punks, I'd just pack up and go. Some people don't care about safety and I won't put myself in a position to be killed by their recklessness and ignorance.
    tclance, Spirit51, aznav and 1 others like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

It was two fathers and two much older teenagers. I think they were trying to teach their kids about firearms, which is great, but safety first. I did point out when one guy was sweeping his battle buddy's back with the muzzle while showing someone else how to load. Unfortunately, the brief safety reminder was quickly forgotten. In this case, we packed up shop and left and also brought it to the attention of the RSO.

The main concern I had with saying something was how to handle if the person reacts very poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by movingshrub View Post
    It was two fathers and two much older teenagers. I think they were trying to teach their kids about firearms, which is great, but safety first. I did point out when one guy was sweeping his battle buddy's back with the muzzle while showing someone else how to load. Unfortunately, the brief safety reminder was quickly forgotten. In this case, we packed up shop and left and also brought it to the attention of the RSO.

The main concern I had with saying something was how to handle if the person reacts very poorly.
    Bite your tongue and walk away. Go home and enjoy time with the family. Sure beats being a hot head and landing yourself behind bars for a fist fight. Or worst case scenario being shot buy some idiot who doesn't value your life or anyone else's. Just my .02

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    W9HDG, GeorgiaDawg and goldmaster like this.

Like I mentioned, we packed up and left. The part that cracked me up was that the RSO asked if wanted additional time. I was like, umm no, we actually still have time left but we're leaving early because I don't want to get shot by another patron, whether due to negligence or not, and I don't really want to have to wear my IBA while at the range. I'll gladly pay the $ to come shoot another time.

If I get swept, I usually tell them to mind their muzzles. And I am not smiling when I say it. They usually get the idea. I am not tolerant of wingnuts pointing guns at me. If they pop off wise, I advise them that a Model 700 enema is not to be taken lightly.

And I ain't kidding.

sgb
    How do you all handle if other guests of a gun range have poor muzzle control/firearm handling skills?

Use it as a teaching moment

Just pack up and leave?

I just had a bad experience recently when my girlfriend and I were at the range and several other guests arrived and set-up shop. I noticed that the business end of a firearm was pointed at me several times while they were getting setup and also were handling firearms while people were downrange setting up targets and such. Poor firearm discipline does not lend itself to establishing a solid first impression with me.

Input welcome.
    See Above ............
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I leave, you can't teach gun safety in 30 seconds
    bmcgilvray and sid1 like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

If it's someone I have seen previously, generally I politely introduce myself and say something about the risk to others. Often, a kind word and reminder can both create a teaching moment and make a new friend. I'm courteous enough when I say it, but my look and the content is serious. As it should be.

At other times, I've simply packed up and gone in search of a range officer. Depends on the situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    That same happened to me. Not once twice by two seperate people each time the persons left the range bay with there firearm and the time s i turned around i seen a firearm pointing in my direction. I almost never go to the range on a late Sat 5pm so it must be kids just looking to shoot and not follow range rules. I packed up and left the guys at the range gave me a free pass

If they sweep you once.... They will sweep you twice... Pack it up, inform the RSO if present...

Sent from this... Using that...
    ericb327 likes this.

I have called the rso. They watched the video and went and talked tp the guy.

You can educate ignorance. Use the incident as a teaching moment....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links