Replacing my AK47 Stock - Report and Pics

This is a discussion on Replacing my AK47 Stock - Report and Pics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wanted to report on the replacement stock I got for my AK. I went with the Tapco T6. Yes, I know...this is not a ...

Thread: Replacing my AK47 Stock - Report and Pics

Replacing my AK47 Stock - Report and Pics

Just wanted to report on the replacement stock I got for my AK. I went with the Tapco T6. Yes, I know...this is not a rugged stock that I would want to have if the AK was going into a combat theater, but.... for range use/fun...for $40...good enough, as far as I'm concerned.

This stock completely corrected the length of pull issue I have with AKs. Removing the stock that came with the WASR 10/63 involved removing two screws then leveraging a large screw driver into the receiver and pushing it off.

Got the stock via Amazon.com

I did not use the little tiny screws supplied by Tapco, but instead drilled starter holes, with the supplied bit from Tapco and used the much longer/stronger original screws, had to use a power drill with a phillips head bit to get the necessary torque to get the screw countersunk, the front most one particularly, so that the spring and guide rod would go back into their original position.

Here are pics of the results:

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice adjustable stock.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Nice! It looks good all black too.

That just does not look right on the AK, in fact it ruins the look of the AK. But its your rifle so have fun with it.

yes, it is my AK. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Her name is Charlene.

P95
    What are some other uses for an AK47 other than plinking or some kind of range competition? Surely you don't use it for HD?

Well, let's see, you can use it to open cans, to punch holes for ventilation in your house, to aerate your lawn......many uses for it.

;)

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    What are some other uses for an AK47 other than plinking or some kind of range competition? Surely you don't use it for HD?
    HD.........on a good day or bad day? 1-3 BGs or 15-20?
    Other uses............hog hunting, smiles, muzzle flash, and most importantly......knowing the weapon of your enemy.

Nice mods.

I'm surprised by how emotionally charged swapping out a stock on a cheap WASR is for some people. I've had people tell me I've "ruined" my AK, that I should have purchased a stock kit that would have set me back over $200. I told that guy, "Hey, I can't see paying almost as half the price of my rifle, just to get a new stock."

Others seem all offended by the thought that, yes, the WASR AK is a cheapo AK and is, for me, going to be a fun range gun. I mean, it's like they want me say that I'm going to be carrying it with me into battle somewhere.

I don't get it.

Oh, well.

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    Well, let's see, you can use it to open cans, to punch holes for ventilation in your house, to aerate your lawn......many uses for it.

;)
    Hmmm...all very good examples indeed....where can I get one?

You are kidding, right?

VIP Member
    Armsdorf. There are fans of the AK that like the simple direct design as it came from the factory then there are those that don't care about the original it's about making it a better, for them, rifle. I have both traditional AK's and custom built rifles and enjoy them both.

WASR's are good guns for the money and if they have issues they are ussually easy to remedy. Your logic of not buying a stock that is half the price of your gun makes sense. In the opposite end I have seen folks buy a $1000 bolt gun and top it with a $40 BSA optic or have an inexpensive gun and put a Leupold optic on it and wonder why it does not shoot one hole groups. An AK is an AK they all shoot basically the same with some shooting very well but everyone of them will get the job done in a minute of man situation.

As you stated it is your gun and if it fits you better and makes the weapon handle better for you that is all that counts. Good luck with it.

In regards to the AK for home defense, some prefer rifles over shotguns or handguns for that use. Would an AK work? Sure. Are there better choices? Oh yeah. AK's, when properly run are much more accurate than most give them credit for. If part of my home defense involved open areas either inside or outside the AK would handle it with ease. Overpenetration would always be an issue if used inside the house.
    There has been an increase in the manufacture of SD ammo in 7.62 x 39. With high quality hollow points, soft points and speciality ammo it is becoming a more and more viable choice.

Here are a couple of mine.

Rifle Dynamics conversion of a Norinco 5.56. A Bulgarian Side Folder was fitted. This is a true pre ban rifle.

This is another RD Norinco conversion. It is fitted with the absolute best folding AK stock in the world, the AK 100 sidefolder.

Here are some of my toys over here. Gotta love an AK.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Armsdorf. There are fans of the AK that like the simple direct design as it came from the factory then there are those that don't care about the original it's about making it a better, for them, rifle. I have both traditional AK's and custom built rifles and enjoy them both.

WASR's are good guns for the money and if they have issues they are ussually easy to remedy. Your logic of not buying a stock that is half the price of your gun makes sense. In the opposite end I have seen folks buy a $1000 bolt gun and top it with a $40 BSA optic or have an inexpensive gun and put a Leupold optic on it and wonder why it does not shoot one hole groups. An AK is an AK they all shoot basically the same with some shooting very well but everyone of them will get the job done in a minute of man situation.

As you stated it is your gun and if it fits you better and makes the weapon handle better for you that is all that counts. Good luck with it.

In regards to the AK for home defense, some prefer rifles over shotguns or handguns for that use. Would an AK work? Sure. Are there better choices? Oh yeah. AK's, when properly run are much more accurate than most give them credit for. If part of my home defense involved open areas either inside or outside the AK would handle it with ease. Overpenetration would always be an issue if used inside the house.
    There has been an increase in the manufacture of SD ammo in 7.62 x 39. With high quality hollow points, soft points and speciality ammo it is becoming a more and more viable choice.

Here are a couple of mine.

Rifle Dynamics conversion of a Norinco 5.56. A Bulgarian Side Folder was fitted. This is a true pre ban rifle.

This is another RD Norinco conversion. It is fitted with the absolute best folding AK stock in the world, the AK 100 sidefolder.

Here are some of my toys over here. Gotta love an AK.

First off I hate you! Lol. The ak100 folder seems like the one on my arsenal slr107f. Is that an Israeli sling above? If so that definitely looks way better than the NATO one i run now. On tapco....I have some on a sks and have shot it a lot and have had zero problems with it as far as a fun gun goes. If you like it that's all that matters. As far as it being used for HD....Tacman summed that up pretty much. I think Corbon makes some great ammo so one wouldn't have to worry about over penetration. I believe I saw this on onesourcetactical.com. good looking ak's!:beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

VIP Member
    Matt that is the same stock as on your rifle and yes that is the Israeli sling we talked about.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Links